Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 158 grain 38 bullet ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    When I went looking for my "one-an-only" cast boolit mold to be used for my 38 special and 357, I settled for one of NOE's molds. Works great on either caliber, and I can play with my alloy if I want to be moving the grain weight up or down a bit if needed.

I've experimented with many .38 moulds, but am unfamiliar with NOE. The bullets depicted in the photo appear to be copies of an LBT design. I've not used an LBT design of that weight, probably the ideal weight for the .38 Special or .357. Have you compared these bullets from an accuracy perspective with other .38 designs of approximately the same weight?

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    I've experimented with many .38 moulds, but am unfamiliar with NOE. The bullets depicted in the photo appear to be copies of an LBT design. I've not used an LBT design of that weight, probably the ideal weight for the .38 Special or .357. Have you compared these bullets from an accuracy perspective with other .38 designs of approximately the same weight?
    Here's some info on the mold.

It is a plain base mold so your not going to get gas check velocities. I'm not shooting at any great distance. S&W model 13 at 25 feet. I'm using Winchester 231 in both the special and the magnum. I've not tried this boolit in a long gun but I'm thinking it would be sweet in a trapper model with a 20" or shorter barrel.
    Last edited by MOA; 05-22-2022 at 09:08 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

Damn good lookin bullet..........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

I have the same NOE mold for my 15-5. How much 2400 are you using in .38 Special? I just had 'DougGuy' ream my cylinder, so the boolet would chamber for me. Was planning to work up a load using CFE Pistol? Thanks, hc18flyer

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I have the same NOE mold for my 15-5. How much 2400 are you using in .38 Special? I just had 'DougGuy' ream my cylinder, so the boolet would chamber for me. Was planning to work up a load using CFE Pistol? Thanks, hc18flyer
    Flyer, I just edited the post after re-reading it and realized I had used Winchester 231 for powder, an NOT 2400. I've been loading 45acp, 38 special, 380 auto, 9mm, and 41 magnum over the past 3 weeks or so. The 2400 was used on the 41 mag. On this 38 special I've gone with a starting load of 3.6 of Win 231, partly because I'm a bit thin on small pistol primers, and I'm using Winchester small rifle instead.

What where you sizing your boolit to that would not fit your cylinder??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I size to .358. The NOE 158 wfn has a full width section above the crimp groove, before the taper to the fp starts. My cylinder wouldn't allow that .358 full width area to chamber, it will now. I have yet to shoot them, loaded with 3.1 Clays. I have Win231/ HP 38 to use as well. hc18flyer

You should be in good shape then. This model 13 is a seventies vintage, maybe they were more generous with the throats back then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    I'm not POSITIVE about this, but I think the .38 Special's development was partially in response to the poor penetration/stopping power of the .38 Long Colt (130 gr. LRN @ 770 f/s). The .38 Spl. held 1/6th more black powder, and it may have been decided to increase projectile weight by 22% to "cover both bases", I guess?
    I was also told by a trustworthy source that the 158 gr. was worked out as the maximum bullet weight that could be safely (within SAAMI pressures) launched at 1000 f/s from a 6" barreled revolver. I was told this story as a youth, before the "+P" specification was adopted. I actually looked forward to better velocities from the +P factory fodder, but if I was getting it, I couldn't discern it.
    Chronographing loads in 1988, the +P thing was illusory. None of the newer hotter +P rounds clocked appreciably faster than standard pressure loads. I could still get 1000 f/s with a 158 gr. LSWC, using 2400 and heavy crimp, but 2 lousy grains higher, and I couldn't break 950 f/s consistently.

That IS a very fine looking bullet, and I suspect that it will perform beautifully from .38 or .357 Magnum revolvers. I was just looking at it, wondering how it might work in a lever-action carbine.
    Last edited by Kosh75287; 05-22-2022 at 10:56 PM.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master
    The Army loading for the 38 Colt was a 148-150 grain boolit at a nominal 700-750 FPS. Based on samples I have seen, I doubt that they could get within 50 fps of that due to the generous barrel-cylinder gaps. Although I have read that it was designed to address stopping power problems in the Philippines, if true, that must have been done with a crystal ball, since the 38 Special was designed in 1898--several years before the after-action reports that lead to the re-adoption of the 45 caliber pistols were generated. As an aside, what gets glossed over is that pistols and revolvers continued to have issues stopping assailants even after the 45 was adopted. There was a fascinating historical research piece published in Peterson's Handguns back in the 80's that found instances in 1918 where pistols had failed to do what they ought.

But now, back to the 38 Special, most likely, S&W designed it to be bigger and more powerful than the Colt Cartridge while still able to use the shorter weaker cartridge as a sales ploy. The early 1899 and 1902 revolver models were marked "38 S&W Special and US Service Cartridge."

Nowadays, manufacturers use "magnum" to drum up interest. Buy a (327, 357, 44, 460 etc.) magnum and you can still shoot the lesser cartridges, but the older, shorter chambers won't shoot the "new and improved" version. Back then, the key words were "Special" and "Express", so if you wanted the greater power of the "Special", you needed to buy a S&W, at least until the Colt version hit the stands later in the early 20th century. A 5% heavier bullet at 15% more velocity, 158 grains at 855 fps nominal--such a deal. But that was the standard 38 cartridge and most of the 4.5 million odd, fixed-sight, K frames built in the 20th century were factory sighted in for that cartridge,--not to mention lord only knows how many Colt, Ruger, and countless other revolvers.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 05-23-2022 at 12:05 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

My main 38/357 load is a 158 gr swc.
    I also make 158gr lrn, 158 swc hp gc, and 148g swc. I don't shoot anything in 38/357 under those weights. ( I probably still have a few leftover j-words on the shelf from pre casting days.. But I don't use them anymore. Probably should load them all up and clean up shelf space.

The only j-word I do load is for 5.7-28... And that's going to be subletting now that I have a 40gr gc mp mold.

There are too many differenced between individual revolvers and various revolver makers. The rifling twist varies which will have an effect on the accuracy of various bullet weights. The cylinder throat dimensions will vary as well, which will have an effect on bullet sizing diameter and accuracy.

That said, I don't fight history. For range use, I go with the old standard Lyman 358311 RN. Loaded over 3.0 grains of BE it will shoot to the sights of Colt and Smith and Wesson revolvers and be easy on the older pre-war guns. For field and social purposes I load a full wadcutter over 3.5 Bullseye.

That is it....period.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I size to .358. The NOE 158 wfn has a full width section above the crimp groove, before the taper to the fp starts. My cylinder wouldn't allow that .358 full width area to chamber, it will now. I have yet to shoot them, loaded with 3.1 Clays. I have Win231/ HP 38 to use as well. hc18flyer
    I ran into this with the same NOE 360-158-WFN-T4 boolit sized .359” in used magnum brass in my old Security Six and new GP-100. When I used shorter new Starline brass the problem went away. Now over 2400 accuracy is great and I’m not getting any leading in either revolver.

FWIW, the Hodgdon web site has 158gr data for CFE Pistol that’s pretty impressive and my chrono shows 950+fps with this boolit from .38 brass in a 2 1/2” GP-100.
    Last edited by Rick R; 05-23-2022 at 03:16 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

158 grains is still with us because ...it works !
    actually any boolit weight from 155 grs. to 160 grs. works well . The weight allows for enough velocity and the velocity allows for decent terminal performance and penetration .
    Accuracy of those bullet weights are excellent .
    I bought a Keith 170 grain SWC mould thinking it would be the best thing since sliced bread ... I was disappointed in accuracy ...Too long ? Too heavy? I don't know ...
    160 grain. wadcutter (358432) is the accuracy champ at 50 yds. and hits hard .
    The wide flat nose design also a winner ... NOE makes both of these WC and WFN designs and if you are into 38 special / 357 magnum shooting ...you realy need to try these out .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

That's a good looking NOE boolit and Swede does a great job making them. Here is a nearly same boolit from Accurate Molds and it drops exactly 160 grs with 20-1.Attachment 300521Attachment 300522
    It shoots great fron my 38 S&W model 14 and my 357's as well. The Lyman 358477 SWC drops at 150 grs and is just as accurate from everything I shot it with. I never heard a complaint about the Lyman not performing well...ever.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus

I favor the Lyman 358429 mould....4 cavity Keith style bullet. Shoots well in38 or 357!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

I've lost count of how many 158 SWC Keith style bullets driven by 4.0g of 231 have gone through my revolvers. I have yet to find a revolver that doesn't shoot that accurately at 25 yards and under. I'm sure I could eek out a powder/boolit combo that might perform better for each firearm. But nothing that is perhaps so consistent across all.

Granted that's a target load. but I drive a 158 jacketed behind a charge of 6.2g HS6 (38) or 16.5g H110/296 (357) for the hot rounds and accuracy remains.

That being said. 125 grains driven by about 3gr TB remains the softest shooting load I've ever found.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Every .38 revolver I own will shoot a 150-164 grain boolit to the sights. The ability to use a large for caliber boolit is this cartridge's biggest strength, and pretty much any powder will work just fine. Going to lighter slugs is pretty much the same thing as a really mild 9mm. You can certainly do it if that's your thing, but I don't see much point in it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Moderator Emeritus

There was a cracking issue in the forcing cone area of some K frames. It the suspicion was that 110 and 125 gr bullets with ball powders were sandblasting the face of the cone and eroding it. The longer 158 gr bullets kept the barrel-cylinder gap filled longer until the powder burn was further along and resisted this erosion and cracking.
    I always found the 158's to shoot to point of aim with fixed sights at 25 yards.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    I thought that the 158 in .35 diameter gave the ideal sectional density. The same way 230 does in .45

MOA has a great bullet there & it is standard weight. It works great in my stuff. I use it in HP form for varmints.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast