MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My vet posted this "Pets, it turns out, also have last wishes before they die"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    A few months ago. The trusty 45LC Blackhawk with my own cast did it. Didn't like it at all. In fact, one of the hardest things I've done and I've done other stuff.
    Three times, so far. And hope to never have to do it myself again. I have hunted and slaughtered food animals, and that doesn't particularly bother me, though I try to be as humane as possible. But putting down a pet is different. Wish I could get the stuff my vet uses. It's neat and clean and very quick, with no evidence of pain.

Bill

Let me start this by saying I was born and raised a farm boy. Most farmers back then did not believe in shelling out cash to put a pet down. They would do it themselves.

I have put down 3 of my wife's cats who asked to go. I saw to it that all 3 were at home, safe, warm, and loved by me right up to the moment. All 3 were purring when I turned out the lights. It was not easy, and in no way did I enjoy it. I don't know that I could do it again. I have an 8 yr old PomChi who will go to the vet.
    And yes I'll stay right there looking into his eyes, praising him and loving him till he is gone.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy
    Guess I am the weird one. We are talking about animals, not one of our kids. Dogs, cats, horses, cows, sheep, goats, it does not make any difference, one shot between the eyes. No remorse or bad feelings, it is better to put them out of their misery than let them suffer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
    Guess I am the weird one. We are talking about animals, not one of our kids. Dogs, cats, horses, cows, sheep, goats, it does not make any difference, one shot between the eyes. No remorse or bad feelings, it is better to put them out of their misery than let them suffer.
    Dave, I can't argue with "they're just animals", but darn it - once they have lived in the house, tagged along everywhere you go, want to be comforted when they get scared of thunder (or fireworks), they do become part of the family. I do agree with the "no bad feelings" about having to put the animal down, but boy can I feel sadness that it has to be done.

I didn't mean for this to get so emotional (that's me), nor off track about personally having to put an animal down. Sometimes it's nice to hear I'm not the only person who's had to do it.

Who loves you more, your dog or your bride?
    Here's a little test, take them both for a ride.
    20 minutes in the far back should do...
    Then open the trunk and see which one still loves you!

I have also come to know that when I hear the wife say "I love you", I know she's talking to the dog!

I had to put one down and it still bothers me. He was a rescue, so we knew little about him. He was a huge German Shepherd at 104 pounds, (not the one in the avatar). He was the kindest and gentlest sole I have ever known, man or beast. I bonded with him in the few years that we had him. He was in pain but was still happy to the end. His back legs went out completely and he was dragging the everywhere. Dragging them across the concrete and tar was like sand paper. We bandaged him daily but the wounds never healed. He finally. we even put a sling under his rear end and lifted him to walk, but he last all control of his back end and could not even feel that he was peeing or defecating in the house, so it was time to go. I feel like I betrayed him because he trusted me. The Vet tried to call him to lay on the blanket and he just looked at me, and would only come if I asked him. He laid down and watched me during the whole process while a stroked his head. I think he knew. I did share (although he ate all but a few bites) of a 16 oz Porterhouse steak with a big bowl of vanilla ice cream for desert as his last supper. I miss the mutt!

I've got to give my animals' vet much credit. He does final visits at your home and at no charge for regular patients, if early morning or evening can work as he goes to or from his hospital.

Being comfortable at home instead of at the scary vet's seems a better way for them to go. No way for them to go can be better for us - dogs need to live longer.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

I had My old Friend put to sleep several years back. It was our 3rd visit in a month and it turned out to be our last. After agreeing to the procedure, the vet whisked Sam out of the room to put in an IV. she brought Him back in and laid Him on that cold table. I turned Him around and put My nose up against His and looked into his eyes, cradling His wasted body in My hands. she then spun Him around and shoved the needle into the IV. Before I could react He went limp in My hands, His last sight a blank wall.
    The only time in My life I ever swore at any woman. As she stood shocked I placed My Friend into His carrier and left. Pausing only at the desk to throw down a $100 bill. Before I got home the vet called to say I had to return My Friend for "legal disposal". He rests now beneath that old Lemon tree in the farthest corner of the backyard. waiting for Me to call Him into dinner.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with you but it is still hard.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I had My old Friend put to sleep several years back. It was our 3rd visit in a month and it turned out to be our last. After agreeing to the procedure, the vet whisked Sam out of the room to put in an IV. she brought Him back in and laid Him on that cold table. I turned Him around and put My nose up against His and looked into his eyes, cradling His wasted body in My hands. she then spun Him around and shoved the needle into the IV. Before I could react He went limp in My hands, His last sight a blank wall.
    The only time in My life I ever swore at any woman. As she stood shocked I placed My Friend into His carrier and left. Pausing only at the desk to throw down a $100 bill. Before I got home the vet called to say I had to return My Friend for "legal disposal". He rests now beneath that old Lemon tree in the farthest corner of the backyard. waiting for Me to call Him into dinner.
    Last pet we had to help cross the Rainbow Bridge was white kitty with blue eyes. Flurry was my oldest daughter's 13th birthday present, and the vet said she was about 3 years old. Daughter enlisted in the Navy at age 19, and left Flurry with us. I'm pretty sure Flurry was a feral cat. Only person who could hold her was my son, who is, as I've mentioned, autistic. All the animals here love him, and he can do anything with them. But Flurry didn't want anything to do with me. Until after my daughter left, in 2014. Flurry liked, as most cats do, to sit in high places and watch everything. When ever I walked past her, I'd reach out and stroke her soft fur one time. One day, after a couple of years of the stroking fly byes, she leaned into the stroke. Shortly after, she'd come to me to get petted, and then started sitting in my lap to get petted. A few years ago, she started losing teeth, and had to go to a soft food diet. Then she started losing weight. And then she stopped eating even the soft food. Every other trip to the vet, she'd been a bit of handful. That last trip, she loved on the vet, and me, and my son, like she knew what we were there for, and was happy and thankful. That's been two or three years ago, now. We live in town, and have a very small lot, with very shallow soil, and bedrock only about 5"-8" deep, so we let the vet take care of the bodies, now. I hate it, but there really isn't any more room for pets in the back yard. So we have to survive on memories. Sometimes I catch glimpses of Flurry, and Opposition, and Comet, and Challenger (Challie) and Jeffyr. Pixel, Hoshi, Cotterpin Doozer, and Orca are still with us. I miss the the other dogs, too, but I don't ever see them here. Shannon and Tupey have been gone for years, and Orca is getting old. It's going to suck when the times comes for the rest of them, but it's going to suck worse if I last much longer than they do. And our vet graduated veterinary school the year after I graduated high school. Orca is too big for him to pick up and put on the table anymore, and he's starting to think about retirement, too. I don't know what I'll do when that happens.

Bill

Boolit Master
    As far as I am concerned, they're people, too. Maybe not sheep. They have personalities, preferences, and in many cases loyalties and love. And in most cases, I'd rather be around animals than people. YMMV.

Boolit Master
    We had to put 2 of our dogs down. Today is 3 years 4 months since the first one. This October will be two years for the second. I said I would never own another dog. Now we have another. I love him more than words can describe. Just like the previous two. I still am not over the other two and will NEVER get over them. The one now sleeps with us and is a handsome boy. I hope I die before he does. Me being 69 I would say I will Lord willing.
    He has a place in my heart just like the other two. A huge place. He is 7 months old.
    I still cry over the other two. Some of me died when they did.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    The grandkids had to have Lucky dog put down a few days ago due to cancer , Notice Ben with the box of Kleenex, They stayed to the end, Carried Lucky home and buried him under his favorite spot in the yard then planted a tree over him.

We’ve had to do it three times…..the pain of having to make this choice is unbelievable and near unbearable! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master
    This poem is from and older and less sentimental day.

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
    From men and women to fill our day;
    And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
    Why do we always arrange for more?
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
    Love unflinching that cannot lie
    Perfect passion and worship fed
    By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
    Nevertheless it is hardly fair
    To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
    Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
    And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
    To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
    Then you will find - it's your own affair, -
    But ... you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
    With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!),
    When the spirit that answered your every mood
    Is gone - wherever it goes - for good,
    You will discover how much you care,
    And will give your heart to a dog to tear!

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
    When it comes to burying Christian clay.
    Our loves are not given, but only lent,
    At compound interest of cent per cent,
    Though it is not always the case, I believe,
    That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve;
    For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
    A short-time loan is as bad as a long -
    So why in - Heaven (before we are there)
    Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

Rudyard Kipling

And there is a prayer I've adopted as my own.

"Please, God, Let me be the man my dog thinks I am!

Bill

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I was brought up on a farm like many here - and I know full well what has to be done at times. My wife and I have had a total of 23 dogs and 2 cats during our 50 marriage. Contrary to the one post of "they are animals, not kids" . . . each of our dogs have been our kids. And each one has been a teacher in regards to what true love and devotion is all about - and I actually feel sorry for those that view their dog, cat or whatever as "just animals".

The OP's original post was about "being there" for your pet . . . but it has wandered to "have any of you . . . . ". I have "been there" for all but one of our dogs and ts whose time it was to go . . . and the one dog that didn't have to go to the vet dropped dead from natural causes as he was running to me for our daily truck ride into town for the mail and a cup of coffee from the drive thru where they always had dog treats for those that had dogs with them. I was also "there" when my parents and inlays passed, other family members and friends and countless others when I worked ambulance and fire rescue. If my life experiences have taught me nothing else they have taught me that we are are all God's creatures who were put on this earth for a reason . . . and whether it me a human being, cat, dog, horse, or whatever . . . we have all lived for a purpose for others . . . be it human or animal . . . and the end of life should be met with love and dignity . . . and in respect of that, no human or animal who has served what God has intended for them should leave this world alone if possible to prevent. As I have said to many individuals over the years . . . . whether human or animal . . . the body is nothing more than a vessel for the soul. Upon death, the human or animal ceases to exist as we knew it . . . but the soul . . . the which loved, showed devotion to others and made the creature the special individual that they were . . . lives on in a better place and in the hearts of those it touched while on this earth . . whether it be a human or a devoted loving cat or dog or horse or whatever. Being with an individual or loving and devoted animal when it is "their time" is the the last greatest gesture of love that we can give in thanks for the impact they have had on us and others . . . no matter how painful it may be for those that remain.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions and beliefs. All I am saying is what my life experiences have taught me. In todays world, too many folks get so caught up in the unimportant things that they never learn or really stop and recognize the simplest of things that our Creator has blessed this world with. With life comes death. With love comes respect and devotion and with all of it comes responsibility.

So back to the OP's original post . . . . IMHO, the Vet is spot on and has experienced enough in life to have things that are truly important in life figured out.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I was brought up on a farm like many here - and I know full well what has to be done at times. My wife and I have had a total of 23 dogs and 2 cats during our 50 marriage. Contrary to the one post of "they are animals, not kids" . . . each of our dogs have been our kids. And each one has been a teacher in regards to what true love and devotion is all about - and I actually feel sorry for those that view their dog, cat or whatever as "just animals".

The OP's original post was about "being there" for your pet . . . but it has wandered to "have any of you . . . . ". I have "been there" for all but one of our dogs and ts whose time it was to go . . . and the one dog that didn't have to go to the vet dropped dead from natural causes as he was running to me for our daily truck ride into town for the mail and a cup of coffee from the drive thru where they always had dog treats for those that had dogs with them. I was also "there" when my parents and inlays passed, other family members and friends and countless others when I worked ambulance and fire rescue. If my life experiences have taught me nothing else they have taught me that we are are all God's creatures who were put on this earth for a reason . . . and whether it me a human being, cat, dog, horse, or whatever . . . we have all lived for a purpose for others . . . be it human or animal . . . and the end of life should be met with love and dignity . . . and in respect of that, no human or animal who has served what God has intended for them should leave this world alone if possible to prevent. As I have said to many individuals over the years . . . . whether human or animal . . . the body is nothing more than a vessel for the soul. Upon death, the human or animal ceases to exist as we knew it . . . but the soul . . . the which loved, showed devotion to others and made the creature the special individual that they were . . . lives on in a better place and in the hearts of those it touched while on this earth . . whether it be a human or a devoted loving cat or dog or horse or whatever. Being with an individual or loving and devoted animal when it is "their time" is the the last greatest gesture of love that we can give in thanks for the impact they have had on us and others . . . no matter how painful it may be for those that remain.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions and beliefs. All I am saying is what my life experiences have taught me. In todays world, too many folks get so caught up in the unimportant things that they never learn or really stop and recognize the simplest of things that our Creator has blessed this world with. With life comes death. With love comes respect and devotion and with all of it comes responsibility.

So back to the OP's original post . . . . IMHO, the Vet is spot on and has experienced enough in life to have things that are truly important in life figured out.
    I couldn't tell you if we agree on anything else (except that shooting is a fun thing to do) but you're 3 for 3 on your opinions expressed in this post. I'm pretty sure that at least mammals have souls. Possibly birds and reptiles, too. They at least have personalities, and I suspect that goes along with having a soul. And any poor stunted soul that is not able to recognize our commonality with other critters that can love has my deepest sympathy.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post

Thank you for your post.
    Don Verna

If you look into a dog's eyes, you notice that their look is the same as a baby's because they look straight at your soul. You know, Seeing a dog passing is too sad, but seeing a dog struggling is ever worse, especially when you can't do anything to help it. When my per died, I decided to find an emotional support animal because the pain was too much to handle. So, the dog I got from https://www.esaregistration.org/emotional-support-animal-guide/ helped me go through the loss. Btw, psychologists say the most painful event a person can experience is the death of a relative. It usually lasts for 2 years. I needed a half of a year to recover only due to the enormous help of my ESA. People, don't take the moments of your life for granted, live the life and be happy.
    Last edited by NoarsColganny; 06-23-2022 at 04:56 AM.

Boolit Mold
    I know I'm a bit late too the party here on this thread, but I got to tell you all this one put an abundance of tears in my eyes. It's been a few years since I had to go through this, but time is a coming where I'll have to deal with it once again. I think a lot of us could say not too many things in life can make a grown man cry, but this is one of them. Cherish the time you have with your best animal friend(s) now, because that time can slip by too fast in this life.

Boolit Master

Buried one of the wife's cats today . She lost one(Socks) on the 11th and Fred was listless this AM, bride and her Dad had to go to Emergency vet(only available on Sunday) to put Fred down(nearly $300). She was there for both of 'em, both over 14 years old(same litter) . Having grown up on a farm , putting animals out of their misery was part of it, but she would not have me do it . Put 'em both in the "pet cemetery" behind the corn crib. Used to have a vet that would come out on a house call - our last dog Goldy got to pass in familiar surroundings, but that guy retired .
    Me , I would've done it myself , no fun but we don't really have money to burn, but what ya gonna do when the bride is crying anyway ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast