Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Lyman 450 question.

Lyman 450 question.

So long story short there is a bit of slop in my 450 and I noticed that this nut pictured can be tightened. It appears that it adjusts the handle slop so that pressure goes more forward or rearward when the ram travels down. Is that what it’s actually for or have I just noticed something that has no bearing. Why would they use a bolt and nut instead of a pin like the other two links if it’s not for something? Thanks for taking the time to look at my query.

Because with a lock washer under the nut and the nut tightened up some it adds some resistance so the handle will stay up and not get’cha if it falls unexpectedly. All pins wouldn’t do that and the handle could fall anytime.

That makes sense.

Boolit Master
    Bazoo,
    I just looked at mine and mine has no pins! All nuts and bolts. I noticed yours is gray. Mine is Lyman orange, I think yours is older. Other than that I don’t have a clue. What Baltimoreed posted seams to be about right.
    I just realized this was a useless post! LOL absolutely no help as far as yours question. Oh well! Sorry I was absolutely positively no help at all��
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

The frame and ram are so 'beefy' a little bit of off center torque/pressure caused by slop in the linkage won't matter.

I'd tighten it up until the handle doesn't fall and let it go at that.
    Sometimes for me, when a lock washer doesn't want to act right,
    I use a plain washer and a nut with the nylon lock ring in it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I've been rebuilding my 450, [waiting for parts from Lyman], I noticed in one of the diagrams what look like spacers between that part of the linkage, and the body of the sizer. It was a little fuzzy in the pics, witch were for a 4500.
    "[I]Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a Subject to a Citizen." (Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC)

A thoughtful mind, when it sees a Nation's flag, sees not the flag only, but the Nation itself; and whatever may be its symbols, its insignia, he reads chiefly in the flag the Government, the principles, the truths, the history which belongs to the Nation that sets it forth.
    Henry Ward Beecher

"Poor planning, on your part, does not constitute an emergency, on my part..."

Boolit Master
    There are about 4 different linkage setups for the 450. Spacers-washers-and linkage can be on the outside or inside and two different handles. Even some new ones are looser than an old one. Some have washers and pins with no nuts. I have 7 450's and 2 are like yours. I can't see a little loose makes a difference. Keep the ram oiled. You can put bolts and nuts on the other 2.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 05-21-2022 at 12:47 PM.

I appreciate the replies. It didn’t occur to me that maybe it was manufacturing changes.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 05-20-2022 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Traveler View Post
    I've been rebuilding my 450, [waiting for parts from Lyman], I noticed in one of the diagrams what look like spacers between that part of the linkage, and the body of the sizer. It was a little fuzzy in the pics, witch were for a 4500.
    Paul Brown in Montgomery, Alabama has parts. Look on Gunbroker for "Lyman 450 Pressure Seal". From there you'll be able to see all the other parts he has. I just bought three new o-ring style pressure seals to upgrade a 45 and a 450, and mailed the third to a guy in the Netherlands along with a new pressure screw. He ships very quickly. Phone 334-399-1773
    Cognitive Dissident

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56F7BFAB-D54B-4315-84DC-21E2E3A249D9.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	300382Have pins on one and bolts on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Paul Brown in Montgomery, Alabama has parts. Look on Gunbroker for "Lyman 450 Pressure Seal". From there you'll be able to see all the other parts he has. I just bought three new o-ring style pressure seals to upgrade a 45 and a 450, and mailed the third to a guy in the Netherlands along with a new pressure screw. He ships very quickly. Phone 334-399-1773
    I’ve ordered parts from Paul as well. Super standup guy, fast shipping, and easy to communicate with. Between everyone here and getting parts from him it saved me probably 4 weeks worth of effort and waiting on Lyman to answer questions or ship parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The psychologist said I’m normal, and gave me paperwork to prove it.

More kudos for Paul. He sent what I needed for an old 45 and had me hold payment until I knew it would work..
    Tony