Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3,186 lbs of lead

Boolit Master

3,186 lbs of lead

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ad-264612.html

Who can melt and use this must lead! How would you get it home?

Boolit Master
    If I had a friend who casted, Id arrange some vacation, rent a UHaul motorcycle trailer in Texas and road trip my 1984 GMC Jimmy down there, tow it back, and party when we got home.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    According to my calculations, that is enough lead to make 22,302,158 158 grain boolits for my 38/357 rifle and pistols (not accounting for fluxing loss and stray dribbles). Hmmmmm . . . . that's enough to keep a fellow busy for a few weeks. Wonder who has that many primers in stock?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    According to my calculations, that is enough lead to make 22,302,158 158 grain boolits for my 38/357 rifle and pistols (not accounting for fluxing loss and stray dribbles). Hmmmmm . . . . that's enough to keep a fellow busy for a few weeks. Wonder who has that many primers in stock?
    ........ That many primers?

Vista Outdoors

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I'm only 2 hours from Rockport but I doubt my 3/4 ton truck would hold it. I really don't want to pay $1/lb either - although sounds like a reasonable offer might make the deal work.

Boolit Master
    you might be surprised what a 3/4 ton pickup will hold when needed to do a task in a pinch , do you have load range E tires or better? if I had money I would offer the 60 cents a pound the others on the site quoted for scrap and never have to worry about lead again. get to cutting some goods trees for fires to melt it down and you will be in great shape. you could probably even trade some off for primers.
    I might add that the only thing you will have to worry about is if its covered with bottom paint, might want to bring a sander and mask and leave that nasty stuff in the boat yard. because it will create some very nasty fumes when melting it that you probably dont want to come in contact with.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Rockport Tx's is ate up with sailboat repair yards, One could ride around asking about junked keels and most likely drive away with the bumper dragging in the dirt with lead a lot cheaper than the ad above, It's also HOT down there.

Boolit Master

Farmbif mentions paint. That might be the least of your worries. Who knows what kind of trash metals are in a boat keel? The only casters that might be interested are either new to casting or didn't spend the time accumulating WW while they were available.

I've got over that amount in ingots. Yes! It is more than I will ever use but when I'm gone, my heirs will have info how to let it be known that it is available. Right now I'm confident that it will be a few years before that happens.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Our keel was covered with fiberglass and paint on the twin mast Gulfstar.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    Rockport Tx's is ate up with sailboat repair yards, One could ride around asking about junked keels and most likely drive away with the bumper dragging in the dirt with lead a lot cheaper than the ad above, It's also HOT down there.
    Yeah, and I'd be happy with a lot less - there are limits to what an individual can reasonably handle.

I'm north of San Antonio near New Braunfels - been to Rockport and points south many times...

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Sounds like $3100 worth of work to cast into ignots to me. Lol. If I were that seller I’d pay someone to haul it to the scrap yard and split the cash. To much work imo for such a large chunk of lead.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Sounds like $3100 worth of work to cast into ignots to me. Lol. If I were that seller I’d pay someone to haul it to the scrap yard and split the cash. To much work imo for such a large chunk of lead.
    I was thinking the same thing. Lots of work for a buck a pound. Plus you don't know whats in the lead...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Yeah, and I'd be happy with a lot less - there are limits to what an individual can reasonably handle.

I'm north of San Antonio near New Braunfels - been to Rockport and points south many times...
    Lol, Place is filthy with sailboats and did I mention it's hot there abouts?

Moderator Emeritus

Over 20 years ago I responded to an ad on this forum and drove 8 hours one way to buy 2400 lbs of WW and Lino. It has served me well ever since. Sleep in the truck, air up your tires and head out is my advice.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    Lol, Place is filthy with sailboats and did I mention it's hot there abouts?
    Yeah, it's hot in Rockport but the worst sunburn I ever got was at Galveston (and I usually tan rather than burn). El Sol cooked me to lobster red that September day...ouch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Yeah, it's hot in Rockport but the worst sunburn I ever got was at Galveston (and I usually tan rather than burn). El Sol cooked me to lobster red that September day...ouch.
    Oh yeah man, It's hot in Galveston on a calm day, Last time I was in Rockport was probably 96/97 redoing the keel on the sailboat.
    Haven't been down in Galveston for many years I always remember it as a nice place and the time my mom managed to dump a chocolate malt float in my lap.
    She mentioned that now I have a cool ride?

Boolit Buddy
    You have to be careful buying lead from sailboat keels. Can be absolutely anything as a lot of manufacturers used scrap from whatever place was local to them. Some keels are also poured in multiple pieces and you'll find different types of lead in each.

Eric

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    3186 pounds x 7000 grains per pound = 22,302,000 grains
    22,302,000 grains divided by 158 grains per boolit = 141,151 boolits if you're making those little tiny boolits.

If you want to step up to something a little larger you could cast for 577-450
    22,302,000 divided by 550 grains per boolit equals 40,550 boolits - just a short casting session

Boolit Grand Master
    It only a bit over a ton and a half, guys. Most any tandem axle utility trailer would easily carry it.

As long as it didn't have a lot of zinc in it, this could be a nice opportunity for someone close enough to handle the fuel for the drive.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    you might be surprised what a 3/4 ton pickup will hold when needed to do a task in a pinch , do you have load range E tires or better?
    I've hauled 2600-2700 pounds in mine a few times with no problems. I do run 10ply tires. I would like to know more about that lead before I drove very far for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast