Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: H & r shikari model 155 45-70

Boolit Buddy

H & r shikari model 155 45-70

I have acquired one of these, and have read the SHIKARI models were built in both 44 mag and 45-70. I think that means the receiver is SB2. According to an old H&R post was built in 1974 as per the serial number, and if the pressures of the 44 mag being what they are would mean the 45-70, could handle pressures higher than the old trap doors.
    I want to lengthen the chamber, and fire both long bullets (up to 500 grain) and paper patched bullets. Any one have any thoughts?

Boolit Master
    99.99% sure it is an SB1 receiver. SB2's weren't around when these were made. Pull the stock off, easy to tell.

Boolit Grand Master
    As far as I know, the SB1/SB2 receiver came about long after H&R went bankrupt and NEF started marketing the guns.

Yours is probably the plain old case hardened iron frame that was used for shotguns. While it is probably safe with a factory or trapdoor equivalent load, I wouldn't push it any hotter.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    MK42gunner has the gist of it. I would stick with Trapdoor loads. Yes, they did make them in 44 and 45-70. Bought my 45-70 back in '74. Still have it, still shoot it now and then.

Boolit Buddy
    it is a blued receiver, and was made in 1974 according to serial number

Specifically, those cast frames are malleable iron. White iron castings which have been heat treated to remove a lot of the carbon, giving the metal the mechanical characteristics of mild steel. Not nearly as strong as steel forgings, but relatively cheap to make.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by oldbear1950 View Post
    I have acquired one of these, and have read the SHIKARI models were built in both 44 mag and 45-70. I think that means the receiver is SB2. According to an old H&R post was built in 1974 as per the serial number, and if the pressures of the 44 mag being what they are would mean the 45-70, could handle pressures higher than the old trap doors.
    I want to lengthen the chamber, and fire both long bullets (up to 500 grain) and paper patched bullets. Any one have any thoughts?
    As long as you only want to lengthen the throat to shoot longer bullets and not up the pressure / velocity above trapdoor range you will be good. With the large diameter case head of the 45-70 increasing the chamber pressure is not recommended with the early cast frames that the Shikari rifles had.

Jedman

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by oldbear1950 View Post
    I have two Shikari's in my safe: a .44 Rem Mag Model 155 (s/n AH213,xxx -- made in 1971) and a .45-70 Model 155 (s/n AJ267,xxx -- made in 1972) and while they "may" handle pressures, I know I have only fired my cast bullets with mild factory loading pressures. I do not know why you could not fire paper patched bullets in firearm you have as it is? These two examples in my collection seemed so well thought out by manufacturer, and well designed as such -- I know *I* would not wish to alter either of mine. You asked "thought", and as an owner of two -- these are them . Imho H&R was kind of an all-over-the-map manufacturer, ranging from their M1 Garands which many have purported to be "the best" to some of their nine-shot revolvers which -- albeit quite functional -- seem to me as no contenders in any beauty contests .
    The Shikari's were, to my guess, manufactured perhaps with a focus to collectors rather than big game hunters... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shikari.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	300361
    Good luck with yours!
    geo

Boolit Master

H&R did make a rifle in 30-30 way back before the 45-70. The top of the frame was cut down for the smaller barrel diameter like the 20 gauge.

Boolit Buddy
    I see on line the pressure limit is approx 28000 cup for the old trapdoor action. That is ok, as light as this gun is do not wish to go beyond that anyway. I have a Henry 45-70 if I want Marlin 1895/ Winchester 1886 levels anyway. And the Henry is heavy for caliber, with a recoil pad on it. Don't want to be bit on both ends.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 45-70 Shikari. Light, 28 inch barrel makes it great to carry. Mine was drilled and tapped for a scope before I got hold of it. I shoot the Lee 340 gr. RF boolit, or the 300 gr jacketed Hornady HP. I've killed a lot of critters with it. You can change the frame out for a SB-2, but the barrel lug and fore end lug are silver soldered on, they can suffer separation anxiety if you get too heavy handed reloading. Trapdoor only for those.