Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best long range .30 bullet?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I found I ran out of receiver sight adjustment with the heavy bullets at 400 yards. I went to the 311466 and Saeco 315. I would go with the Saeco if pressed to only have one.
    That's where a Long Range Soule tang sight is worth it's weight in gold! Or an external adjustment scope.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    The trick is to use a bullet design such that the design does not float the nose when it comes over the curve in the top of the trajectory. The RN or fLat point is made to break the air evenly over the nose, thus allowing the bullet to come over the curve streight. The RCBS Silhouette design is an example, they come in 150, 165, 180. for 2,000 t0 2,400 fps range, Saeco also makes an excellent 200g with a bevel nose design. I have shot the 30 cal 165, 180g and 200s in long range silhouette competition using a case capacity from the 300 Savage to the 308 W case.
    I have found that most anything is accurate to 100 meters, but at 200-300 meters the accuracy gets very iffy without a good bullet design.
    Absolutely correct, and the reason is all cast bullets come out of the mold lopsided/non-concentric. Now it's time for those to chime in and say, "not my bullets they are perfectly round" but before you post, roll your perfectly round cast bullet on a concentricity gauge and post the video.

Non-concentric has nothing to do with the alloy, a quality mold or experience of the caster. It has everything to do with the physics of the cooling process; a poor quality mold could make it worse.

For full power accuracy at long range a bullet must be concentric, otherwise it will start to wobble and when it does the wobble only gets worse.

To help offset the issue, rifle bullets with maximum barrel contact and minimal nose typically work the best. A perfectly installed gas check can provide a flat perpendicular base and powder coating a jacket.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12