MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crawfish Etouffee - or what to do with 1 lb. of cooked Louisiana crawfish tail meat

Boolit Grand Master

Crawfish Etouffee - or what to do with 1 lb. of cooked Louisiana crawfish tail meat

It's Crawfish Season in Louisiana ! Last Saturday we boiled mud bugs , potatoes, corn and smoked sausage and ate all the crawfish we cold hold along with cold beer to wash it down with ...but no matter how much you eat ...there is always leftover crawfish to contend with . So you peel all the boiled crawfish and put them in zip lock bags and freeze . Then , you can take a pound out the freezer and make my favorite crawfish dish ... Etouffee !

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup real butter
    5 Tablespoons all purpose flour
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1/2 cup chopped green onion
    1 cup chicken stock or broth
    1/2 cup water
    2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 Tablespoon tomato paste
    1 bayleaf
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon Cajun/Creole seasoning
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 lb. cooked LA crawfish tail meat , thawed out if frozen
    Hot cooked white rice as needed

Directions:
    1.) In a heavy skillet or dutch oven melt the butter , then stir in the flour . Cook and stir , over med/low heat untill the roux is a caramel color , about 20 mins ... keep stirring .
    2.) Add the celery , bell pepper and onions and stir untill the onions are transparent and softened .
    3.) Add the stock or broth , water , parsley , tomato paste , bay leaf and all the seasonings . Stir the pot well so the roux is incorporated and there are no lumps , raise the heat to med/high and bring to a boil , stir well , reduce heat to a low simmer and simmer 30-45 minutes ( if it gets too thick add liquid) stir often to prevent sticking while simmering.
    4.) When simmered , remove bay leaf and stir in crawfish tails and slowly heat through.
    Crawfish tails are already cooked so don't need much cooking just heating .
    Serve over a bowl of hot white rice with toasted French Bread ... to get the gravy .
    a green salad will make the meal fit for company ...but bread and Etouffee do me fine .
    You can also buy frozen crawfish tail meat in grocery stores ...it has been cooked and peeled so is super easy but don't buy the Chinese crawfish ...they treat it with a preservative ...it foams up in the pot and taste Wonky-Wonky ...avoid these .
    Louisiana produced are good and don't have this chemical in them .

If you have never tried crawfish ... this is an easy and tasty way to do so !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I was just in your great state last weekend - twice times goin' ober and back to dem Alabamian's in Mobile. We ate in Lafayette and Lake Charles - crawfish dishes both times.

And I love etouffee - make it quite frequently in large batches then I freeze into serving size containters.

Boolit Buddy
    You had to go there! Crawfish (or shrimp) etouffee is FANTASTIC! Thanks for the recipe!

Another option would be a seafood/mixed gumbo with crawfish, shrimp and chicken - WITH okra of course...

Looks good that’s the way we did it in Jennings....I can’t stand the fools who simmer the crawfish for an hour. Rubber ball etouffe!
    Slavin' away for the Takers - I make it, They take it.

Boolit Master

I learned to cook crawfish when I lived in Lake Charles from '81-'83. I brought my pot back with me when we moved back to Ala. I was the only one I knew that had a crawfish pot. Anyway, we can get them fresh in bags here now and we had a boil couple weeks age, make crawfish pie from the leftovers. I love etouffee too! Sha Cherie!

Boolit Master

This is a great recipe folks. I’ve made it several times with shrimp and used my cajun seasoning. Might as well double it though!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

I just read that recipe.
    Drooling here.
    Now I have to look for crawfish here in SW Oregon.

Boolit Master

Believe it or not, Several years ago, I was pheasant hunting in South Dakota and we were staying in a trailer park in a small town. We walked into a grocery that had local sausage and cured meats and what did I see spread out on ice there in the display case? Cooked crawfish in the shell! This was November, nowhere near crawfish season and nowhere near crawfish country. So, you never know, there may be hope for you dale!

Boolit Master
    them some darn good eats. you kinda gotta know what you doing to get that rue just right.
    that's about my gran daddy favorite , I married the prettiest girl in Monroe and she couldn't even make that recipe like the expects can. not that it was bad but just was like some the better restaurant in town or like the old timers at the moose club could make

I like most Cajun cooking, but I won't eat those Louisiana Mud Bugs, no way! They do make good trot line bait though.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Leave out the crawfish and use peeled shrimp in it's place ... Just as good ...almost .

1 1/2 or 2 pounds shrimp or crawfish makes it more better ... shrimp is also good fish bait when you can't get pogies .

The cooked flour and butter is more properly called a roux ...did spell check get you and make it rue !

When you are at a Crawfish Boil and some one says ..." Don't eat the dead ones !" do you know what they are talking about ...

This weekend I'm going to cook a big batch ...I'm having withdrawalls ...
    and put some in the freezer ... for next time ...
    Thanks for freezer suggestion HWooldridge ...that's a good idea !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Wow. I could eat that until I explode!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Leave out the crawfish and use peeled shrimp in it's place ... Just as good ...almost .

1 1/2 or 2 pounds shrimp or crawfish makes it more better ... shrimp is also good fish bait when you can't get pogies .

The cooked flour and butter is more properly called a roux ...did spell check get you and make it rue !

When you are at a Crawfish Boil and some one says ..." Don't eat the dead ones !" do you know what they are talking about ...

This weekend I'm going to cook a big batch ...I'm having withdrawalls ...
    and put some in the freezer ... for next time ...
    Thanks for freezer suggestion HWooldridge ...that's a good idea !

Gary
    Gary,

I used to make my roux with oil but I switched to butter a few years ago and didn't look back. Makes a much better tasting end product in my opinion. I always was told butter was Creole and oil was Cajun but I do not know for sure.

Another thing I do is make up a large batch of roux (when I'm not hungry <LOL>) - then pour into an aluminum pan to cool and freeze it. Break into pcs and store in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Use whenever you need a thickener. When I dedicate time to this work, I'll also make three shades of roux - one light, one medium and one dark. I had a guy from Mississippi teach me how to cook a roux pretty fast but you have to watch it constantly to keep from burning. I can usually make a dark one in 15 minutes - the trick is to use a thick bottomed pan and take it off the heat before it gets to the color you want.

Thanks, Hollis

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Gary,

I used to make my roux with oil but I switched to butter a few years ago and didn't look back. Makes a much better tasting end product in my opinion. I always was told butter was Creole and oil was Cajun but I do not know for sure.

Another thing I do is make up a large batch of roux (when I'm not hungry <LOL>) - then pour into an aluminum pan to cool and freeze it. Break into pcs and store in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Use whenever you need a thickener. When I dedicate time to this work, I'll also make three shades of roux - one light, one medium and one dark. I had a guy from Mississippi teach me how to cook a roux pretty fast but you have to watch it constantly to keep from burning. I can usually make a dark one in 15 minutes - the trick is to use a thick bottomed pan and take it off the heat before it gets to the color you want.

Thanks, Hollis
    I also have heard the butter roux is Creole (city cooking) and the oil roux is Cajun (country cooking)
    I like the butter flavor in a caramel colored roux , taste better but if making a dark roux , for a Gumbo , like so many Cajun dishes use , use a good oil ... butter burns so easily and oil can take the heat better without burning ... as easily . And Mom said there is nothing you can do with a scorched (burnt) roux but throw it out and start all over again ... the burned taste is awful .

Making a dark roux is an art and you have to be good at it !
    If you can make all three roux's then you must have Cajun DNA in your make up ...
    You know there's 3 ways to become a Cajun...
    1.) By Birth
    2.) By Marriage
    3.) By the Back Door ... just come on in and we will pass a good time Cher!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I also have heard the butter roux is Creole (city cooking) and the oil roux is Cajun (country cooking)
    I like the butter flavor in a caramel colored roux , taste better but if making a dark roux , for a Gumbo , like so many Cajun dishes use , use a good oil ... butter burns so easily and oil can take the heat better without burning ... as easily . And Mom said there is nothing you can do with a scorched (burnt) roux but throw it out and start all over again ... the burned taste is awful .

Making a dark roux is an art and you have to be good at it !
    If you can make all three roux's then you must have Cajun DNA in your make up ...
    You know there's 3 ways to become a Cajun...
    1.) By Birth
    2.) By Marriage
    3.) By the Back Door ... just come on in and we will pass a good time Cher!
    Gary
    My dad was from Shreveport but maybe that’s a bit too far north. On the other hand, I used to have a friend from Lake Charles who took me along duck hunting every so often. His dad made the best duck gumbo I ever ate - no equals! At that time, everyone liked pintails because they were big and only 10 points. All those folks have gone on to the big swamp in the sky but I have a lot of good memories.

Boolit Master

Chef Paul makes his roux fast too. I have one of his books. Took me a little time to get the nerve, but I make it fast now. You're right tho, you gotta stay there with it. I never got a taste for the really dark roux, to me it hides the flavor of everything else.

Moderator Emeritus

I learned to make roux by watching Justin Wilson cooking shows...

Boolit Master

One of my favorite lines of his "now I'm gonna add a little white wine.... oooow, I spilled some!"

Could you use cooked Gar in place of the Crawfish? if it is cut up small .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Put that Gar in court bouillon. Pronounced "coo-be-yon".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast