Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tough Decision.....Opinions Welcomed

He earned it, GO!
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

Many have provided some good ideas; but going a slightly different direction - If you are a Church member; see if your Church has a congregation in the competition area and if someone will host you and your son/s. If not are there organizations you can reach out to for the same sponsorship (lodging with a family in the area). Think rotary, elks, moose, VFW, American Legion, and... Often times we in our modern society have focused on the $$ rather than the people and the experience of caring/giving/sharing. As an example; we have two extra bedrooms and 3 Travel Trailers at the Montana house we have the Kids & Grandkids stay in when the come visit - others may be in same position at the competition site.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    The more familiar you are with a bigger stage, the better your results.

Some youngin's in my area have gotten college scholarships from exposure at the nationals.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    You need to take your son . . . not only for his sake but your's as well.

If it is school sponsored team . . why not approach the service clubs in your area for some possible funding support? Kiwanis, American Legion, VFW, Masonic Lodge, Eagles, etc. These are tough times . . . but there are probably a lot in your community who would be happy to toss some in a pot to help make it possible for your son to go.

You are a great Dad and you have some great sons. When I was a kid, I lost out on a couple of opportunities because "life got in the way". I understood the "why" of my Dad not being able to do some things . . . but I would have given anything to have had the time with the family and especially my Dad. Yea, I understood and was fine with it but those times can never be enjoyed once they are lost. I'm old now and Dad has been gone 27 years but it's the things we did together that keeps him alive in my heart.

You'll find a way and you enjoy those fine kids.

Boolit Master
    It's been said often,, that at the end of our lives,, as we reflect back,, we remember the things we DIDN'T do,, more often than the things we did. Yet,, those we love remember the things we DID do together,, rather than the things of regret.

Yes,, it sux about the expenses,, but find a way & GO!!!!!!!

Another possibility would be the school's booster clubs. They should be willing to put in a few bucks for an outstanding student in both his sport and his grades.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    I think ya'll should go. Good kids deserve to get rewarded,it sounds like he's an excellent example of a great one.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Go. Period.
    Pick up cans, sell your junk, get another job or have him get a part time job - do whatever you can to make that happen.
    Your son has excelled at something that he apparently has a knack for and enjoys. You will NEVER get this opportunity back. Seize it!!!
    Money slips through the hands like water, the experiences that you have with your children are tattooed on your very soul. Show your kids that sacrifice is worth it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I could not write my opinion better than cwtebay did -- GO!!!! Also, albeit I am a 100%-NO-credit-card person generally, hey -- if $$$'s were really tight, I'd use one CC for Essence; a 2nd for lodging; and whatever cash for food & fun!
    geo

I'm guessing your diesel gets about 10mpg from what you have said. Rent, or borrow a SUV, most are getting 25 to 30mpg and that alone cuts fuel by $500. Obviously rental will cut into most ofthat, but you should be able to save a couple of hundred. But yes go. And DO look for sponsors. I'd bet you can get most or all of the trip subsidized. I would even go so far as to contact tv stations. They are always looking for stories, and not everything local is lib city. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Let us know when he does get invited. I'd bet a lot of us WILL chip in a few bucks via our favorite money apps.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Absolutely go. You will regret it if you don't - and start recruiting support and saving now for future years, he's a freshman, I think you said. You have years of future competitions to plan for.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

If you can afford it, I'm guessing you can, but will likely dip into the family savings a bit more than you like...I think most of us here are in that boat...anyway, like everyone already said, you gotta do it.

Now if you can't afford this???
    Then I think Mustang has a GREAT idea. What a great experience it could be, to connect with a like minded stranger through your church or other civic organization...maybe even the Lions club, those folks have yearly conventions and such, so many members are connected to other members out of State...Or your College alumni? just thinking out of the box here.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Many have provided some good ideas; but going a slightly different direction - If you are a Church member; see if your Church has a congregation in the competition area and if someone will host you and your son/s. If not are there organizations you can reach out to for the same sponsorship (lodging with a family in the area). Think rotary, elks, moose, VFW, American Legion, and... Often times we in our modern society have focused on the $$ rather than the people and the experience of caring/giving/sharing. As an example; we have two extra bedrooms and 3 Travel Trailers at the Montana house we have the Kids & Grandkids stay in when the come visit - others may be in same position at the competition site.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

As many have said……Go! If at all possible, make the trip….. life has no guarantees. You have only a brief time with your kids before they are grown and gone! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master

Hey; I'd chip in my $10 weekly lottery money to help out, just let me know where to sent the funds.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Go. Period.
    Pick up cans, sell your junk, get another job or have him get a part time job - do whatever you can to make that happen.
    Your son has excelled at something that he apparently has a knack for and enjoys. You will NEVER get this opportunity back. Seize it!!!
    Money slips through the hands like water, the experiences that you have with your children are tattooed on your very soul. Show your kids that sacrifice is worth it.

Agreed... go. sell something if needed.. but go.

Boolit Master
    Just a thought here - maybe start an auction here for something that is in addition to your needs. Make sure to point out what the auction benefits.
    Sometimes it takes a village....

Boolit Master

Go! All great advise and comments so far.
    I'm sure a lot of folks here would be willing to chip in to a fund. I know I would.

Boolit Buddy
    my daughter used to compete in Judo, this got expensive. Sometimes we would have to a get a room and a one day event would end up being 350.00 plus. I would be willing to kick in a few bucks in for your son to go.
    Last edited by redriverhunter; 05-19-2022 at 11:06 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

No ...never depend on next year
    Do It ...bite the bullet , spend the money , make the trip ...Once in a Life Time ...and
    The Boy has more than earned it .
    The memories you will make on these trips are Priceless ... $700 for priceless time spent and priceless memories ... Heck Yeah You Had Better Go On That Trip !
    Don't even think about not going ...life is too danged short and children grow up and move off so danged quick ... it makes me sad to think of the one or two times I didn't do something with my kids and now they are all grown and gone ... don't pass up any opprotunity to be with your children .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Youve supported and backed him up to this point dont stop now continue Go if he is offered the chance. Do what you have to to make it work. This experience will be memorable to both of you and you dont want to miss out on it.

Explore the different ways mentioned here in this post. Also you might stop in the Local sporting goods stores gun shops to see if they will offer sponsorship's or help, most will for the chance to promote the sports in a good light.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast