Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sold my UTV for more than I paid for it new.

Boolit Master

Sold my UTV for more than I paid for it new.

I bought a brand new Honda Pioneer 500 in 2018 for $10,000 with accessories. I bought it because it was 50" wide and perfect for getting around the ATV trails in the area.

But, at 6'2", it was cramped and my knees would ache after an hour or so of riding.

Then I tore my meniscus and had surgery a month ago. Now I can't ride it for more than a minute or so before my knee starts hurting badly.

Hated to sell it, but I just can't ride it anymore.

Was hoping to get $8k to 9k for it. Looked up the value and it was listed at $11k. Wow!

Checked the national ATV Trader site and not a single used one listed for sale within 2000 miles. Found one like mine 300 miles away on Craigslist for $10k with twice the miles and no accessories.

Decided to list it for $11,500 a couple of hours ago on Craigslist. Got a call from a guy 50 miles away saying he will be here in two hours with cash in hand.

Paying off a credit card and buying a regular ATV that doesn't hurt my knees.

Will miss the old girl...

Attachment 300599
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I’ve been thinking about selling my 2018 Polaris 570 Sportsman ESP. I sold off my hunting property over a hundred miles away from where I live and don’t really have much use for it now. It only has 318 miles on it and it’s loaded with extras. Everyone keeps telling me I can get more than I paid for it new. I didn’t believe it, buy maybe they’re right. It looks new and runs great. Maybe I’ll give Craigslist a try.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I’ve been thinking about selling my 2018 Polaris 570 Sportsman ESP. I sold off my hunting property over a hundred miles away from where I live and don’t really have much use for it now. It only has 318 miles on it and it’s loaded with extras. Everyone keeps telling me I can get more than I paid for it new. I didn’t believe it, buy maybe they’re right. It looks new and runs great. Maybe I’ll give Craigslist a try.
    Just be ready to wade through the scammers on Craigslist. It seems like I get three would-be scammers for every real potential buyer. It can be sort of fun to try to keep them on the hook as long as possible and waste their time though. From what I’ve heard FB marketplace is the go-to way to sell now. I, however, refuse to book faces.

Boolit Master

The guy that bought it was a salesman from a shop in Lewiston, ID. They sell high end cars, pickups, and ATVs. He is going to flip it and probably make a couple of grand.

I feel fine selling mine for $2500 more, but the price on new bikes and ATVs is shooting up daily, if you can find them.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

I've known exactly what ATV and what motorcycle I wanted for the past couple of months after tons of research and sitting on them.

The motorcycle I want is listed as being $6999. The closest dealer to me had 3 of them 3 weeks ago. I went in, sat on one, verified it was comfy, then decided to sell my Harley to pay for one.

The trouble is, my Harley breaks every time I ride it. Biggest hunk of junk I've ever owned. It is constantly torn apart and waiting for parts. It is currently waiting on new intake manifold gaskets after the ones I ordered 2 weeks ago arrived and were the wrong ones.

So, with gas approaching $5 a gallon here, decided to use the side by side money to buy the new motorcycle, which gets 55 mpg. 2022 Kawasaki KLR 650.

Called the dealer near me and he said they are gone. Said if I wanted one, they have only 3 more coming in for the rest of the year and may be 6 months before they get here. Plus, with all of the increased freight charges due to them coming in from overseas, the total price, with tax, would be $9500. Yikes!

So, started searching the internet for one. I have been searching for 3 hours and calling multiple dealers for the actual take home price.

Best deal I could find was in Boise, ID, 300 miles away. Total price was $7550 after all of the fees and freight charges. And, it's the non-ABS model. Which is supposedly better for trails, but not for the street. They gave me a $250 veteran's discount. I have to wait until next Saturday to drive down and pick it up. Put a $500 deposit down.

Crazy, but they are disappearing and prices are shooting up. I can probably sell it later in the summer for more than I have into it.

Boolit Master

Congratulations! I would hate to have to get by without mine.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

hmm, not sure you're getting more if the money is worth less.

just kidding, I did the same with a kayak in 2020.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a 2017 Polaris Ranger 570-4 Crew with EPS. How do I know it so exactly? Last night it started sputtering and cutting out about a 1/2 mile down the mountain. Been looking for tune up parts because I really don't use it hard or that much since getting my Kubota loader. Guessing fuel and general maintenance will fix er up. Great machines especially when I put a deer lift on the front with my winch which made a mini lifter when I put up the chain link fence and the back bed sure comes in handy.

Boolit Master
    Prices are just going crazy on everything! I had to get a new trailer to replace my 24 year old landscaping trailer. It was just not heavy enough to do what I needed to do anymore. I had been looking at a 12,000 lb. equipment trailer last year and the sale price was 5800.00. Well, I certainly should have bought it then!!! I just paid 7,500.00 for the same trailer and I was lucky to get it since it was the last one on the lot and the next group coming in were 500.00 higher. Oh, the landscape trailer............... I paid 850.00 for that trailer in 1990, it was a 1988 model. I just sold it yesterday for 3,000.00! Wonder what I can get for a Honda VT1100 Shadow Motorcycle right about now? They used to be about worthless.

Boolit Master
    I have a 21 year old one ton dually with only 65,000 miles. One owner. Clean. Always shedded. Tires like new. Paid $29,000 when new. Tempted to find out if it is worth what I paid, or maybe more.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I have a 21 year old one ton dually with only 65,000 miles. One owner. Clean. Always shedded. Tires like new. Paid $29,000 when new. Tempted to find out if it is worth what I paid, or maybe more.
    If you need a truck, you might want to think about keeping it for a while. I went to the Ford dealer last week looking. They laughed at me and said we don't have any 250's and were not taking orders until at least September. Used trucks are asking stoopid money in the ads right now.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    My dad has a 2005 Chevy Dually 4x4 crew cab Duramax with every option. He bought it with 70k miles on it in 2010 for $22k.

He had it serviced at the dealer the other day after getting back from Arizona and the dealer offered him $22k for it. My dad wisely declined. The new trucks are more problematic and approaching six-figures for one like his.

Boolit Master
    trailers are selling for some crazy high prices. a random stranger stopped by a few weeks ago wanting to buy my tri axle gooseneck flatbed and was serious as a heart attack when he told me to name my price. I had to tell him no less than 4 times its not for sale. but now I'm kind of thinking about it I have 5 two axle trailers and parts to make another 8 ton gooseneck.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I've known exactly what ATV and what motorcycle I wanted for the past couple of months after tons of research and sitting on them.

The motorcycle I want is listed as being $6999. The closest dealer to me had 3 of them 3 weeks ago. I went in, sat on one, verified it was comfy, then decided to sell my Harley to pay for one.

The trouble is, my Harley breaks every time I ride it. Biggest hunk of junk I've ever owned. It is constantly torn apart and waiting for parts. It is currently waiting on new intake manifold gaskets after the ones I ordered 2 weeks ago arrived and were the wrong ones.

So, with gas approaching $5 a gallon here, decided to use the side by side money to buy the new motorcycle, which gets 55 mpg. 2022 Kawasaki KLR 650.

Called the dealer near me and he said they are gone. Said if I wanted one, they have only 3 more coming in for the rest of the year and may be 6 months before they get here. Plus, with all of the increased freight charges due to them coming in from overseas, the total price, with tax, would be $9500. Yikes!

So, started searching the internet for one. I have been searching for 3 hours and calling multiple dealers for the actual take home price.

Best deal I could find was in Boise, ID, 300 miles away. Total price was $7550 after all of the fees and freight charges. And, it's the non-ABS model. Which is supposedly better for trails, but not for the street. They gave me a $250 veteran's discount. I have to wait until next Saturday to drive down and pick it up. Put a $500 deposit down.

Crazy, but they are disappearing and prices are shooting up. I can probably sell it later in the summer for more than I have into it.
    That Harley you went to AZ for is a dog? That's too bad. You might have considered trading to a HD dealership as they usually have a few Honda's and the like hanging around. Might have worked top dollar for you as used HD's are in demand.

You got a great deal. Something that you can't ride sold for more than you paid for it is a good deal in my book.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    trailers are selling for some crazy high prices. a random stranger stopped by a few weeks ago wanting to buy my tri axle gooseneck flatbed and was serious as a heart attack when he told me to name my price. I had to tell him no less than 4 times its not for sale. but now I'm kind of thinking about it I have 5 two axle trailers and parts to make another 8 ton gooseneck.
    I bought a used enclosed trailer with doors on the back that opened like barn doors or folded down into a ramp. Bought it for $1,000 to haul my bikes south and didn't use it for much. I'm almost ashamed to say what I sold it for
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I could not get along without my JD UTV 4x4 diesel..Use it on the farm quite a bit...

Boolit Bub
    I’ve got a 2018 honda pioneer 1000-5 LE that I bought new. It has about 3000 miles on it and I’m almost positive I could sell it for more than I paid new. Prices have gone through the roof on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    If you need a truck, you might want to think about keeping it for a while. I went to the Ford dealer last week looking. They laughed at me and said we don't have any 250's and were not taking orders until at least September. Used trucks are asking stoopid money in the ads right now.
    That is exactly why I have not seriously pursued selling the truck. I no longer need a one ton dually, but I still need a pickup truck. Also, I absolutely do not want a NEW truck. I do not need, or want all those bells, whistles, and other electronic gadgets and doo-dads.

Moderator Emeritus

Not just trucks, my local Ford dealer called and offered me $26,000 for the Escape I paid $21,000 for 2 years ago. Told him if he had a top end trim Maverick pickup on hand I might bite but they are sold out until next year.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Froogal, if that dually truck is a dodge with a Cummins diesel in it, you can name your price practically! Those things are selling for STUPID money right now, especially the older ones with the manual injection pumps on them! If it’s a 4x4 also, you’ll get your original price, plus some! I don’t blame you for keeping it.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast