Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tough Decision.....Opinions Welcomed

Boolit Buddy

Tough Decision.....Opinions Welcomed

So my 2 sons both shoot high school trap. Last year my oldest made nationals and we drove 10+ hours to Mason MI. My younger son has been talking ever since of his chances of making it this year. Well he ended up outshooting his older brother this year and was consistently top 3 each week on the team. Tonight he shot his 1st 25. Last year he was in novice category, this year he is shooting varsity and is in 9th grade.

I am guessing he is going to get invited to nationals based on his grades and his shooting average. My problem is and with the current price of diesel I am having a hard time justifying the trip. At current prices it will be close to 700 just in fuel. Then several nights lodging and food. Then the other side of me kicks in and argues it's a possibly once in a lifetime chance to go. He put in a lot of work to improve his shooting.

There's always next year but who knows what next year could bring. This is driving me crazy. What would you all do if he were to get invited?

Boolit Master
    Go. Period.
    Pick up cans, sell your junk, get another job or have him get a part time job - do whatever you can to make that happen.
    Your son has excelled at something that he apparently has a knack for and enjoys. You will NEVER get this opportunity back. Seize it!!!
    Money slips through the hands like water, the experiences that you have with your children are tattooed on your very soul. Show your kids that sacrifice is worth it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    go........I have no children, but I have a collegiate shooting background and we all hope that our scores stay the same or rise, Just like in life, one cannot predict the future, scores, technique and all the other things in ones life have to line up perfectly to be able to maintain that level......and being able as a father to share that, contribute to that from a father aspect could be a once in a lifetime chance.........go

Boolit Master
    Sell a rifle on here auction style. Do the math on renting a compact car, see if its cheaper. Get the kids mowing lawns. Substitute birthday presents for the trip. Whatever you do, show those boys that hard work, practice, and determination can provide opportunities.

Take the kid to the match. yes it may cost where you have to tighten the belt for a short while, but in the long run it can save you money. That son may get good enough to win a college scholarship for his trap shooting and you save money on his future education. The boy has earned it by busting his butt to get that good, do not make him think his hard work was for nothing.

Boolit Master
    Are you kidding? Of coarse you go! Take it from someone, who raised 2 sons, and didn’t go, missed opportunities. Maybe not the exact same scenario but it doesn’t really matter what it was for, the specific details were different but the pros and cons were the same. The funds were low, seems more important to work than it was to spend the time and money to take my son someplace. If my post seems a little vague it’s on purpose. I have a hard time thinking about it let alone discussing the details on the forum. The point is even if it doesn’t seam bother you son, maybe he knows and understands the situation. YOU will never forgive yourself!!!! He is only going to be the age he is now, once in his life! To quote an old saying”beg, borrow, steal!” What ever it takes.
    Sincerely , Good luck in your Decision
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    Very good points everyone has made so far. 1 other key point I forgot to mention.....the week before nationals is the state shoot which I am taking them to. It is a 3 hour drive and a nights lodging.

My gut is telling me to go also but they do not do a very good job spacing out the state and national shoots.

Boolit Grand Master

There is no guarantee that tomorrow will come. I've lost 9 friends in the last 2 years. For longer trips like that I found it's cheaper to rent a fuel-efficient vehicle and you have no wear and tear on yours.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-19-2022 at 08:45 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Eventually we all wish that we’d had more time and more experiences with our children, the money doesn’t matter. The only question is how to make it happen.

If you can afford it then go.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Buddy
    You might regret not going but you will never regret making that trip. The boy will remember it for a lifetime and you will too.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    For longer trips like that I found it's cheaper to rent a fuel-efficient vehicle and you have no wear and tear on yours.
    ^^^ This ^^^
    Every mile has costs.
    Start soliciting for sponsors. I have friends that support motocross kids. It's very expensive, and this is how they do it.
    Start making the rounds to local gun shops and sporting goods outlets. Take their gpa transcrips and past shooting scores with you to show their accomplishments to date. After you complete a reasonable local radius around your area, go on line. Call the NRA to inquire about support for the youth shooting programs, ask for leads for possible sponsors from them. They might have ideas for contacts. You have to get out there and sell yourself and them.
    If you find yourself in Mason again, shout me a PM, it's only about 10 miles from me. I'll do a little poking around myself. If I find any leads, I'll send a PM.
    Deplorable infidel

You make it happen for your Son, only you can gauge his outlook and accomplishments and know has this Son of mine done his part ? I would say he has.
    The renting of the car is a great idea and have done it my self or maybe even trade with a family member or friend for the duration of the event.

Boolit Master

Find a way and go.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy

Go with your gut, if you don't go, you will regret it the rest of your life.

Plenty of options for funding, just takes a little work.

Look at Airline ticket prices—-they are pretty cheap if bought in advance. Just do not change your plans after you buy the ticket, unless it is on a carrier that does not charge “change fees” that are too high. The air fare will save you at least one day of travel time.

Boolit Master
    I would do whatever it takes too make it happen for the kids and I'll bet they are all in on getting involved, maybe set up a go fund me account, try to find sponsors, sell whatever if that's what it takes.

First off for the state shoot see if you can get together with another parent and share the ride and expenses. This may also work for the nationals. Check your local gun clubs. I belong to an Issaac Walton League chapter, and we have had parents bring their kids in to request support for different projects. If you use a local small service station for fuel, you may even ask the manager if he could throw in a little help with a tank of fuel. It may feel a little demeaning to go out begging, but if your son does extremely well these people will not hesitate to put up signs in their windows stating they supported him.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by hawkenhunter50 View Post
    So my 2 sons both shoot high school trap. Last year my oldest made nationals and we drove 10+ hours to Mason MI. My younger son has been talking ever since of his chances of making it this year. Well he ended up outshooting his older brother this year and was consistently top 3 each week on the team. Tonight he shot his 1st 25. Last year he was in novice category, this year he is shooting varsity and is in 9th grade.

I am guessing he is going to get invited to nationals based on his grades and his shooting average. My problem is and with the current price of diesel I am having a hard time justifying the trip. At current prices it will be close to 700 just in fuel. Then several nights lodging and food. Then the other side of me kicks in and argues it's a possibly once in a lifetime chance to go. He put in a lot of work to improve his shooting.

There's always next year but who knows what next year could bring. This is driving me crazy. What would you all do if he were to get invited?
    Hawkenhunter50...go but consider renting a suv that will get better gas mileage and still tote all the necessary equipment....you will regret it if you dont go IMHO.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

If you can, in any way, go. Very rarely do you get a chance to create a real memory, their memory, with your kids.

My son made it to be the state IHMSA Junior champion, I was his spotter. You can not replace that memory.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast