RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
PBcastco Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 35 Whelen

Boolit Master
    I ride that 358 wagon, got 2 of them with 1:12 twist. They can handle some good velocity with cast, Using an accurate 36-254C from Tom I can get 2260 fps using WC846 with about the same burn rate as AA 2015. I would like to have a 35 Whelen but haven't talked myself into it due to powder consumption.

Boolit Master
    And Congrats with your new Whelen!!!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the info, I am going to set of dies ordered and see how it shoots. I thought loading up some 158gr SWC I have lying around for some plinking loads. Have you guys tried shooting them?

Banner Sponsor

I loaded some 160gn rfn pb cast and got them up around 2000fps from my 16" barreled Whelen. This was years ago, so I don't remember which powder. A 158swc and unique would Make for some great small game loads.

Boolit Grand Master

Press on with that 35 Whelen. There is always a way to get a barrel to work.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

I was sitting here thinking.... we never have owned a Caliber .35 rifle until 5 years ago when we bought a 35 Rem barrel to put on our last 30/30 Marlin. Have bunches of caliber .38 rifles. I do have to write our 375 Whelen's rank real high on our favorite list and "go to" rifles.
    From RB to 345 grain FN we have alot of fun and never wonder if we have a proper load ready for any critter we will ever come across.
    But the 35 Whelen is also right in that nitch of "do anything".
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    To answer your question:

Yes, with a bit of Bullseye they can shoot rather well for slow plinkers. When time permits I'll test the 158 SWC's with the 4227 loads in the range bag. Those are hotter, with gas checks and powder coated. Looking forward to finding out how well they print.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, ChristopherO, please keep us updated.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Press on with that 35 Whelen. There is always a way to get a barrel to work.
    I agree! It's awfully hard to make a Handi 35 Whelen barrel into a 358 Win or a 35 Rem but you can go the other way with those smaller cartridges with just a simple rechamber. The great thing about shooting lead bullets versus a jacket bullet is that you can seat the cast bullet out enough to chamber into the rifling. You don't want to test fit with a live round as the bullet could pull and you could drop powder. Find the sweet spot by measuring with a Hornady LNL length gauge or by using a dummy round. Having some rearward pressure will ensure the case fires more often and forms to the chamber. Neck sizing after that may result in less FTFs. I don't know I would call the problem a headspace issue as the small should is probably more to blame.

Thanks, Dinny
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Boolit Master

I use the Lyman 358009 bullet
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    I use the Lyman 358009 bullet
    . Great bullet but troublesome to us powder coaters...

I bought a 36c -270 mold and haven't looked back! I did like the 3509 allot and it shot well but If I use I need to conventionally lube it.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

i have three 35 whelens, a ruger #1-remington 700 cdl- a van patton custom 98 mauser. they all shoot fine with the right loads, but the sierra 225 BTSP at 2600 fps useing varget cuts bullet holes at 100 yards and is the only J bullet i use in them for deer-bear.

Boolit Bub
    I've been using Lymans 358627. Feeds well through a Rem 700. Shoots even better. Best is terminal performance on deer.

Quote Originally Posted by legendhunter View Post
    Thanks for all the info, I am going to set of dies ordered and see how it shoots. I thought loading up some 158gr SWC I have lying around for some plinking loads. Have you guys tried shooting them?
    8.5 gr Red Dot or any faster powder will be abound 1,350 - 1,400 fps

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    . Great bullet but troublesome to us powder coaters...

I bought a 36c -270 mold and haven't looked back! I did like the 3509 allot and it shot well but If I use I need to conventionally lube it.
    What problem did you find with powder coating the 358009?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I picked up a Savage 110 that has been barrelled to 35 Whelen. Also picked up 2 molds, Layman 3589 and a NOE 359-190 HP. The NOE boolit is powder coated and shoots well with a load 4350. Have not tried the 3589 yet(just got the mold this weekend), it has to be seated deep into the case, the gas check will be below the neck a bit. The rifle did come with a few store bought jacketed bullets, all those shot well with a load 4350.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    Congrats on the new gun.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
    i have three 35 whelens, a ruger #1-remington 700 cdl- a van patton custom 98 mauser. they all shoot fine with the right loads, but the sierra 225 BTSP at 2600 fps useing varget cuts bullet holes at 100 yards and is the only J bullet i use in them for deer-bear.

I need to try some of those Sierras. I’ve read the 225 grain Serra is one of the most fragile .358’s so the expand really easy. Sounds like a great bullet. I’ll have to see if anyone wants to trade for some of my group buy 200 grain HPs I casted up in my avatar for some. I have a bunch of 220 Speers but I believe they are a lot tougher.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by legendhunter View Post
    Thanks, ChristopherO, please keep us updated.
    Those 158 grain SWC's over 4227 I referred to in post #47 did not group all that pretty - at 100 yards. I didn't try them at short, small game range to give a thorough report on their accuracy. With a WFN PC'd boolit using 7 grains of Bullseye I have achieved a tight little grouping at 60 yards before out to the Whelen. Well within a rabbit's head, but the scope would need to be adjusted from the stouter loads to make it work to POA.

Banner Sponsor

What I have done for small game loads in Mt 30-06 is to load several rounds at Increasing powder charges, then go to the range and shoot at 25yds using the bottom post of the cross hair as an aiming point.
    When you find the velocity that hits to point of aim, then adjust slightly up and down to see what groups well...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast