Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox PBcastco
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 35 Whelen

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the replies, I picked the gun yesterday and he trough in some brass a total of 223 pieces with 66 pieces being new. All for $ 280.00, and gun likes new !!

Banner Sponsor

Excellent deal

Boolit Buddy
    The NEF Whelens had some headspace issues. If yours is one of those, it will have a lot of FTF issues. I've had 3 of those, if you have that problem, PM me. I Know what will get it to work and can walk you through it. I never found the handi rifle recoil to be worse than a bolt gun. The 358009 is a beast in that caliber.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by legendhunter View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, I picked the gun yesterday and he trough in some brass a total of 223 pieces with 66 pieces being new. All for $ 280.00, and gun likes new !!
    Heck of a steal!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

was out shooting yesterday....35 whelen...200 gr FN cast0.359 and 212 gr semi-point 0.360 cast....both with 18.4gr/2400
    good accuracy at 100 yds. very comfortable to shoot.

congratulations on your purchase and I hope it turns out to be a good shooter
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Buddy
    Had a 35 Whelen for a brief time - more novelty than need. It was a rebarreled Rem 721 with a heavier than sporter barrel and steel receiver sight. I tried it out with some 220gr Speer loads and it felt like I was in a car wreck! The metal buttplate didn't help. The cases had an extruded ring all around from a groove cut in the chamber so I returned it along with a new set of RCBS dies. Upon examination at the large S. ME gun store they said the receiver was also cracked and it should never have made it to the rack. Better off without it anyway. It wouldn't do much more with cast that my 35 Rem or 356Win won't do but was something different to try.

Boolit Man

My favorite is the NOE 230 FN. It hits hard and shoots surprisingly well. High 1000s with 2400. I have not hitek coated any yet, but plan to. Maybe can push into the 2000s without fouling. Paco's load for the 280 RN is full power and shoots about 2" for me with clip on wheel weights and a gas check.

I killed a speed goat last fall with a 230 FN in a different cartridge (358 JDJ) at about 1700fps, 99 yards; Ruark would have been pleased. No expansion but complete penetration from a frontal chest shot, 1.5" diameter wound and autonomic plexus destroyed. Goat went down at the shot and didn't recover. Tasty steaks and burgers, no running.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master

I have a wood stocked Ruger 77 MKII in 35 Whelen. I like it a lot. I have several molds for the rifle and have mainly concentrated on using the old Lyman 3589 which weighs in at about 300 grains with a mix of 50/50 clip on ww + pure lead. I added a pinch of tin (2% or so). I have used the 35whelen to take a couple of our mid sized whitetails plus a nice bore black bear in eastern Canada. It is a very versatile cartridge and it can be a hand full with full power loads. I generally load it to mid levels and it has worked very well for me. To the original poster I'll say good luck with it and I bet it will be plenty accurate for what you intend to use it for.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Great deal! Just remember if you ever need more brass just neck up the 30-06 family cases.

Boolit Master

Tripplebeards is correct,
    but I would suggest you anneal the neck area before you neck up to 35 cal. as that will reduce the possibility of the neck splitting.
    best
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Good point. I’ve necked up 270, 280, and 30-06 to 35 whelen after annealing.

Boolit Bub
    geezer56, thank you for the heads up. Let me get out and shoot it and I will let you know. And what does FTF stand for?

Boolit Grand Master

FTF = Failure To Fire
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, stubshaft.

Boolit Master

Good show! I have had dozens if H&R's and NEF rifles.

Many claim the issues but folks like to complain more then proclaim. Rem 35 cal has had its issues but its largely accepted that its soft brass in some chambers. Dont fret GO SHOOT IT! Plenty if time to be concerned and seek help IF there is a issue.

Yes its a very cast bullet friendly caliber!! Some excellent bullet designes have been made thru the years!! That 358009 is a dandy heavy @ 280+ depending upon your alloy. (Not so powder coat friendly, as its a bore rider.)
    The RCBS 35-200 fp and its copies are excellent 200g. Saeco and Lyman both have excellent bullets in the 245/250g class too!

I Bought a bullet from Tom @ Accurate its a 36-270c and has been great for me and powder coated. Its accounted for a bear and a few whitetails. Its 270g, I have good loads with 2400, 3031 & vv140 to 1900 fps.

Good luck with yours!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banner Sponsor

I have a handi rifle in 30-06 with a long chamber. Sometimes the loaded round will slip in past the extractor and won't fire.
    I know that I can make cases just for it, but it mostly just sits in the closet.

I bought my 223 varmint H&R back a few months ago. Bought it new in 94’. Heavy trigger but it’s a tac driver. Goes bang every time I pull the trigger. It’s on my bucket list to dissemble and polish the trigger. It shoots sub MOA at 200 yards and shoots the same hole at 100 yards with my hand loads. Love to shoot the thing.

Boolit Buddy
    The FTF issues in the Handi rifles is caused by a too deeply reamed chamber. I have owned 3 of the handis with 2 having the issue. The quick and simple fix is to use a 375 caliber die to expand the neck of the brass oversize, then size in the Whelen die until sized brass will just chamber. Then load and shoot. After that, just size fired brass enough to push the shoulder back about 0.001". Problem solved without overworking the brass.

I think the .358 Win. makes a better, more efficient cast boolit rifle. As was said above the .35 Rem. is as well. But the OP found this rifle at a good price so it seems as though he will have a lot of fun with it.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    I think the .358 Win. makes a better, more efficient cast boolit rifle. As was said above the .35 Rem. is as well. But the OP found this rifle at a good price so it seems as though he will have a lot of fun with it.

Jim

I agree since it seems like most don’t load their .358 rifles to close to max 35 Remington velocities with cast. Waste of space and powder imo. I’m still going try and get my whelen to feed cast some day soon again. Got a few 10 round mags from a member here and can’t get them to feed either. Maybe I’ll try to fabricate them on the next rain day.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast