Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2PBcastco
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 35 Whelen

I have a NEF in 45-70. No problems at all with the gun. I have used 405 Grain cast bullets in it for deer hunting. Anchors deer on the spot. As for recoil, I tried the 405 loads at 1900 FPS and it was brutal. I backed it off to 1700 FPS and it was tolerable. Lately, as I have aged a bit, I find that 1600 FPS will still drop deer and give my shoulder some relief too. I really wouldn't worry about recoil with the NEF Whelen as bullets will be about 1/2 of the 45-70 405 grain that I shoot. Using a recoil calculator, at 1600 FPS and a 405 gr bullet the 45-70 NEF with a scope will have a recoil energy of 31 Foot pounds. The Whelen with a 250 grain bullet at a much faster 2100 FPS would only generate about 26 Foot pounds of energy. Have fun with the Whelen.
    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Thomas Jefferson – Author of the Declaration of Independence and 3rd President of the USA

Boolit Master

Yes sir those H&R can take heavy loads... usually FAR BETTER then the guy trying ta shoot them!!!

I used ta load Remington 405's to about 1650 as my top

I saved those 400g @ 1900 fpr the Marlin and High Wall Browning!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Tell my little 7600 carbine chambered in 35 whelen that. I loaded up some 200 grainers around 2900 fps and it beats the snot out of me. My 300 rum with full throttle 200 grain bullet hand loads kick less.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the update ChristopherO . Now that it is cooling down a little here in Az. I'll get back to some load testing.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one in a model 70 Super Grade but I don't shoot cast in
    Do have a mold for it though a 260 gr Mountain Molds 2 cav. gas checked boolit ,just haven't tried it yet
    I can't seem to bring myself to throttle it back for cast, use the same boolit in my 358 win. no need to throttle that one back
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    decided to load up some 260 gr cast with imr4198 with a dacron filler lit up with a Remington large rifle primer
    the 4198 has been sitting around here so long it was in a metal powder can
    these are powder coated boolits as well
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Altho ya are not getting the speed and energy of jacketed The cast bullet preforms on a different level within tjose lower pressures and soo ya will find that your not really missing anything but higher powder bills and more recoil.

CW

Boolit Buddy
    I have owned my Whelen for more than 30 yrs now. Mauser 98 Action, Kreiger Stainless Cut rifled barrel with a 1-in-12 twist. McMillan stock and a Parker Hale trigger.
    I have been casting now for about 5 years and learned a pile off this site. Here is my first time out with the 310 Thumper by NOE bullet molds
    Remington Case, CCI Br-2 Primer, and 49 Grains of IMR 4831. Lubed with two coats of Bens Liquid Lube,
    Recoil is very easy. Accuracy is more than adequate. Didn't have a Chronograph the day, but others with more experience estimated I was in the area of 1900-1950 fps I shot this group and went home with a big smile on my face.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	310 thumper target.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	306457

Boolit Master

good shooting !
    I also am having good success with 35 Whelen / Mauser 98 with 1:14 green mountain barrel & 4 power steel tube weaver scope
    cast 200 gr FN / 0.360 sized and 18.4/2400
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

I am still working on this but it is coming along nicely.

It’s a CVA accura V2 with a Boyd’s stock and forend in .35 Whelen.
    I shot 20 of the Hornady 200 gr Superperormance Cartidges getting in somewhat broke in and sighted in.
    Then I shot a 3 shot group with Nosler 225 gr Accupoints and it was under an inch. Then went back to shoot some more of the Hornady’s and the groups opened way up. So I put it up and called it a day. When I got back home I noticed the buttstock was loose, so I fitted it some more since I had been in a hurry to get it to the range. Still have more grinding to do on the recoil pad. Haven’t got back to the range yet.
    It is a straight stock, but with the inch and a half Limbsaver on it I get a good cheek weld. I have 3589 and a RCBS 35-200 molds to work up some loads in the spring.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Master

I have a 310g, a 270g & various 250, 245 and 200's. But prefer 245+ in cast in my bigger 35's.the lil maxi & 35 rem shoot those 200's very well. But powder cap moves the heavies better.

The 310 have been relegated to my 358Norma Mag. The Whelen loves that 270g. Shooting touching 50y holes @ 2000 fps. The 245 Saeco shoots even better @ 1850 but I like that lil extra weight. I figured the 245 for the 358/356 but for that lovely 359-220 MP mold!! Boy howdy my buddy Bobs re7 load under that bullet @ 200-2100 is flat awesome!

CW

Boolit Bub
    I have a 35 Whelen built off a Mauser 98 and really like it but I just like 35 caliber for some reason. Wish I could get one bullet that would shoot good out of all my 35 calibers(358 STA, 350 Griffin & Howe, 358 Norma Mag, 35 Whelen).

Boolit Grand Master
    you can't miss with the 35 Whelen and cast
    some cals are designed almost for cast boolits
    another would be the 358 win.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

The 358 Win is indeed a very good and very under rated 2-300 yard cartridge.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 450 View Post
    I have a 35 Whelen built off a Mauser 98 and really like it but I just like 35 caliber for some reason. Wish I could get one bullet that would shoot good out of all my 35 calibers(358 STA, 350 Griffin & Howe, 358 Norma Mag, 35 Whelen).
    . The Accurate 36-270c has been very good to me!!

I have a 36-310 as well but the Whelen likes that 270 better. But the Big Lady likes the 310 just fine.

CW

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    . The Accurate 36-270c has been very good to me!!

I have a 36-310 as well but the Whelen likes that 270 better. But the Big Lady likes the 310 just fine.

CW
    Thanks, I will look into the Accurate 36-270C.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Agree with siamese4570. Out of the light Handi Rifle I would only shoot cast reduced 35 Whelen loads for the sake of my shoulder.
    The Federal Fusion in my 35 Whelen Encore is not bad and does a great job on game. The Hornady Superperformance on the other hand, well I have a box I’ll give you

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234