MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mystery metal

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    I’m curious to see if a low flame will melt the letters.

Another quick and dirty test could be to use a lead detection kit from a hardware store. Aluminum shouldn’t give a positive. The tests do cost a bit, though.
    See post #16, I did the torch test on a single letter and #4 shot from a 1950's Winchester shotgun shell.

It most certainly is not aluminum as I first guessed.

Need to ship these and a couple others off to BNE for a definitive answer.

Boolit Master
    Next time you feel the need to check the melting point consider the use of a small spoon and a casting furnace with a PID controller. Just place the spoon and samples on the surface of the melt, turn on the heat and record the temp when the sample slumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    Next time you feel the need to check the melting point consider the use of a small spoon and a casting furnace with a PID controller. Just place the spoon and samples on the surface of the melt, turn on the heat and record the temp when the sample slumps.
    That presupposes that I have such elaborate equipment, sounds way too high tech for a guy whose goal with cast boolit reloading is to ring dingers like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dinger lantern.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	300414
    Although this one doesn't have the same melodic tone it once had

And not make guns look like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blown up gun 3.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	300415

Last edited by 15meter; 05-21-2022 at 09:41 PM.

You harshed our mellow

Quote Originally Posted by brassrat View Post
    You harshed our mellow
    Huh?

On water northern Mn . 1903.colt's Avatar
    When Im alloying casting Lead my inventory has been shot with a Spectro gun , Go to scrap dealer buy some lead have him Spectro your mystery metal.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Huh?
    Google it. That poor gun. Was that someone elses?

Quote Originally Posted by brassrat View Post
    Google it. That poor gun. Was that someone elses?
    Never heard the term before, no it wasn't my gun.

Watched the guy blow the gun up at a cowboy shoot a number of years ago. I was standing about 30 feet directly behind him when he touched it off.

He started the stage with a misfire/squib on his very first shot. Went back to the loading bench cleared the gun and reloaded. Came back on the line and I believe it was his first shot after clearing the problem that there was a tremendous report. He was shooting through a window that had a tin awning above it and I watched the tin awning bounce up and down. I had no idea what had happened, but I was pretty sure it wasn't good. Not everything slips past me.

He turned around with a stunned look on his face, he was just a little bit discombobulated. I followed him the the unloading bench and got a couple of photos.

Another shooter offered to loan him a revolver so he could finish out the match. When the crazy dude started to load his own ammo into the loaned gun, he was stopped and given ammo. Dude was ready to make it three screwups in a row.

To this day he claims it was a light load of I believe Unique that blew up the gun. "It's a well documented fact!!!!" is his line.

He also claims to be pretty much an expert on all aspects of reloading. I saw him this spring with tables and tables of reloading equipment at a gun show pontificating on all things reloading.

There is a stunning amount of stuff I don't know about reloading, but I don't think you can blow up a gun with a light charge of Unique.

Don't shoot much Cowboy anymore, when I do I make sure I'm not on his posse. Don't mind lead splatter occasionally, don't need to deal with red splatter.

And he didn't get hurt and the pieces and parts were never found.

Boolit Master

" it's a well documented fact "

Well.. To be fair... It "Is" a discussed issue. Extremely light loads of fast powders can and have relieved revolvers of top straps and cylinder halves. With a few minutes of searching online.. I can find 3 main reasons for guns popping...and pretty equal distribution too.. Ie..33% of posts each.

1, light loads of fast powders.
    2, double charges of fast powders.
    3, either of the above with the added benefit of a prior barrel obstruction.

#1 and #2 gets talked about often in conjunction with large case capacities.

Sometimes powder flashover is also mentioned in references to #1 / and with large capacity cases.

An example..just one of pages I found:

https://reloadammo.com/light-loads-can-explode/

So.... To be fair... It -is- a well discussed phenomenon.

Squib/no powder followed immediately by the disassembly of the gun leads me to believe he is trying to cover for a double charge.

I suspect that is much more likely.

Just glad it was his gun, and no, I don't follow any of his reloading recommendations.

There are much more knowledgeable people than me on the forum, perhaps they will chime in on a "discussed" as opposed to well documented occurrences.

Shot skeet Sunday, guy I got squaded with swore that a recent vaccine was made from ground up 6 week old babies. That was "discussed" on the DARK WEB where only he was smart enough to find the truth.

I'll pay more attention next time to who is on the squad before I go out.

Thanks for explaining, good story

Boolit Master

Any reason why the post I made on which vaccines were made from fetal cells, including a link from a medical site , was deleted, while the post about ground up babies is still here?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Any reason why the post I made on which vaccines were made from fetal cells, including a link from a medical site , was deleted, while the post about ground up babies is still here?
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Is-Not-Allowed

Boolit Master

It wasn't a covid discussion... It was a post on vaccines made from fetal cells..in the post was a short LIST of vaccines. One of those was a covid vaccine. Just a list..not a discussion.

It was a good post..if that single word kills it..why not bring the post back minus that word... Otherwise...it appears it's a favorites game when it isnt/shouldn't be. Obviously vaccines are allowed to be discussed..and fetal cells too.. As the post I was replying to is still here. Why not word censor that word like others are and x it out???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12