Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out what I just bought

Boolit Mold

Check out what I just bought

FINALLY stumbled on what I’ve been looking for. Henry 45-70 color case octagon barrel. I’ll ultimately put skinner aperture sights on it in “black gold”.

Gorgeous. Can't wait for a range report.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Nice looking rifle. A 45-70 has been on my bucket list for a long time.

Boolit Master

Does it reload from the magazine tube like a marlin 39 22rf. or the reloading gate on the side of the receiver.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    Does it reload from the magazine tube like a marlin 39 22rf. or the reloading gate on the side of the receiver.
    Both. Henry just started adding the side gate to either all or most of their lever actions. Apparently by popular request. I like having the top off option of the gate while using the tube for unloading.

Boolit Bub
    Very nice!

Boolit Master

Very nice.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Moderator Emeritus

I have what I thought was the most gorgeous of .45-70s -- my 2005 manufactured Marlin 1895CB Classic Octagon Barrel rifle S/n 95,207,xxx. After seeing yours -- I was totally wrong! Your Henry looks gorgeous, and in comparison with the Marlin -- to my eyes there's no contest! I do have a question as my only "not-love" with some Henry's is that they seem quite heavy. My Marlin 1895CB weighs in at just a hair less than seven pounds...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marlin 1895CB.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	300318

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I have what I thought was the most gorgeous of .45-70s -- my 2005 manufactured Marlin 1895CB Classic Octagon Barrel rifle S/n 95,207,xxx. After seeing yours -- I was totally wrong! Your Henry looks gorgeous, and in comparison with the Marlin -- to my eyes there's no contest! I do have a question as my only "not-love" with some Henry's is that they seem quite heavy. My Marlin 1895CB weighs in at just a hair less than seven pounds...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marlin 1895CB.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	300318
    I think I rather tote the extra couple pounds than shoot a 7 pound 45/70 - been there done that with a carbine weight sharps - FFFg blackpowder and a 535 grain boolit it was brutal specially prone - I thought I was being a wimp but one day I weighed the gun and put the numbers through a recoil calculator - the hurt was real!

Boolit Mold
    I don’t know George, that Marlin is really really nice. BTW, I think that the aperture sight on the Marlin is exactly what I’m going to put on mine. Looks slick!

Beautiful rifle, M48scout. Congratulations.

DG

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by M48scout View Post
    I don’t know George, that Marlin is really really nice. BTW, I think that the aperture sight on the Marlin is exactly what I’m going to put on mine. Looks slick!
    You are very kind! I concur with the sentiment that a pound or two more would surely not be a deterrent re recoil/kick control. When I shoot mine, I "confess" that I wear a vest with a recoil pad in it -- right after I purchased it I put a full box of factory-load reloads through it and had a slightly green coloured shoulder with reduced mobility for a week or two thereafter. The word of a (now deceased) close friend kept and keeps ringing in my ears: "If you want the recoil of a .22, shoot a .22; what is the point of buying a .375 H&H Magnum and loading it with charges to also provide .22 recoil?" Hence, I've practiced .38s in .38s; .357mags in .357mag; and... .45-70 (of charge for this generation of .45-70) for .45-70. Mine is without a doubt an "OW!" rifle after a half dozen or so shots -- but then again, this may be from me being a wimp...
    geo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    You are very kind! I concur with the sentiment that a pound or two more would surely not be a deterrent re recoil/kick control. When I shoot mine, I "confess" that I wear a vest with a recoil pad in it -- right after I purchased it I put a full box of factory-load reloads through it and had a slightly green coloured shoulder with reduced mobility for a week or two thereafter. The word of a (now deceased) close friend kept and keeps ringing in my ears: "If you want the recoil of a .22, shoot a .22; what is the point of buying a .375 H&H Magnum and loading it with charges to also provide .22 recoil?" Hence, I've practiced .38s in .38s; .357mags in .357mag; and... .45-70 (of charge for this generation of .45-70) for .45-70. Mine is without a doubt an "OW!" rifle after a half dozen or so shots -- but then again, this may be from me being a wimp...
    geo
    George I agree with all of this ----- except that you might be a wimp - I too have a vest with a pad in it - bruising is our body tissue showing injury, need to take heed of that as age creeps on us - we keep doing it enough and the healing process might just not work like its sposed to - my dad shot a lot of trap - got his shooting shoulder reconstructed in his early 80's - despite good recoil pad on his gun and padded shooting vest - not something I wish to follow him with!

Boolit Mold
    Henry with the reloading gate, NICE!!

Love the case colors.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Bub
    If that had a threaded barrel, I’d be all over that model like stink on a monkey!
    Congrats on a super looking child there.

I’ll have to settle for the ugly X model.

Beautiful rifle. I have an earlier one without the side loading gate. I believe yours is the better looking.

Boolit Master
    that's a fine gun, much nicer than the brass model in my opinion, but my favorites have always been blued steel and walnut, no plastic nothing.
    that's too good looking for someone like me to go stumbling out in the woods with

Boolit Buddy
    ooooh, I LIKE THAT! NICE

Boolit Buddy
    Nice 45/70 Henry. you bought my favorite rifle cartridge. I like that Henry put in a side loading gate also. Now take it out , and shoot it.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast