RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lead ball size for slugging 45-70 barrel?

Boolit Mold

Lead ball size for slugging 45-70 barrel?

For obtaining proper final slug dimensions and diameter accuracy, is there an accepted size “above nominal bore” of the lead ball one uses to slug a barrel? I don’t want to barely kiss the edges and have little surface to measure, however I don’t want to have to slam the gun with excessive force to swage a giant ball through. I’m going to have to buy a whole pound of balls to get the one or two I need, so I’d like to know what’s accepted as common knowledge before buying. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    Back when I was dabbling with a couple of .45-70 rifles, I used a .490 round ball meant for my .50 cal muzzle loader. I whacked it into the muzzle with a rawhide mallet. Push through the lightly oiled barrel with a metal rod. Measure appropriately. You're done.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M48scout View Post
    For obtaining proper final slug dimensions and diameter accuracy, is there an accepted size “above nominal bore” of the lead ball one uses to slug a barrel? I don’t want to barely kiss the edges and have little surface to measure, however I don’t want to have to slam the gun with excessive force to swage a giant ball through. I’m going to have to buy a whole pound of balls to get the one or two I need, so I’d like to know what’s accepted as common knowledge before buying. Thanks
    If you're a fisherman or know someone who is, use a old fashioned lead sinker

Boolit Master
    If you have 45 cal BP bullets, you can bump them on the nose which will shorten and expand the diameter of the bullet. If you do not get a good "reading" hit the next one harder.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you fellows

Boolit Master

What I have done in the past is use a split or other old fired cartridge case (pistol) and pour it full of pure lead. the inside is tapered. if smaller in diameter than needed, smash in a vise slightly to bump up diameter. The smaller taper due to the thicker walls near the case head allows easier entry into the muzzle or throat, depending on which way you push the slug through. If the slug is longer than needed, pour the case less full or I have cut the slug down with a coping saw to a more manageble level. In this instance, i would use a sacrificial 45 auto case and bump up the slug to 0.462" or so and slug away. This should work nicely for the 45-70.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    What I have done in the past is use a split or other old fired cartridge case (pistol) and pour it full of pure lead. the inside is tapered. if smaller in diameter than needed, smash in a vise slightly to bump up diameter. The smaller taper due to the thicker walls near the case head allows easier entry into the muzzle or throat, depending on which way you push the slug through. If the slug is longer than needed, pour the case less full or I have cut the slug down with a coping saw to a more manageble level. In this instance, i would use a sacrificial 45 auto case and bump up the slug to 0.462" or so and slug away. This should work nicely for the 45-70.
    I think between you and Dusty, yall have hit on the best ideas. I’ll chase those down. Thanks guys