Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a Vise?

Boolit Master

Do you have a Vise?

Haha. Sorry for that but I ran across a dandy CHEAP cost vise that I find more and more useful on my loading bench. Now like you I have vises on utility benches and use them regularly. But never on my reloading /gun smith bench. If I needed Id walk across basement to other side of house and use that 4" vise.
    I was in Harbor Freight a d saw this and a fraction of the cost IDENTICALLY functioning vises cost!! Literally 25$!! Sure its small clamp and light duty but gun smith duties are quite often just a third hand your looking for and the way this one spins turns angles its been just short of AWESOME!

I made a video hoping to help others.

https://youtube.com/shorts/wNqDk3VmDQQ?feature=share

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    thanks for posting, and a great to the point video about the vice. now I need to go to harbor freight

Banned
    oh great!!!! another trip to HF!!!!!!!!!!

For $25 I don't see how you could go wrong.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Two Wiltons, two Kurts for milling, two Rigid pipe vises, six post leg vises for blacksmith work and one lonely Pana-Vise. My wife would shoot me if she sees another one come home in the back of my truck...

Boolit Master
    I have found most of my Vise's at Yard sales or moving sales over the past 50 years.
    Most I bought , used them for a while , then sold them off for like a 400 % profit if they didn't fit what I need.
    But I did get one of my drill press Vise's on sale at HF

Boolit Master
    I bought one of the HF vises for my welding bench. Makes a very handy extra hand when trying to hold something especially at an odd angle.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master

My favorite vise is a parrot vise on my bench it swivels in 2 plains and comes with an extension that mounts it over the edge of the bench and allows it to swivel in the third plane. Not a super heavy duty vise but it does things my mechanics vise wont. The other ting I like about it is he jaws are bigger instead of the 1"X 5" on most vises they are 3" wide and almost 3" deep and smooth. I have maple and lead inserts for mine.

That little Harbor Freight vise would be a handy vise to mount on a board and c clamp to a bench right where its needed. It could be held in a bigger vise also.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Two Wiltons, two Kurts for milling, two Rigid pipe vises, six post leg vises for blacksmith work and one lonely Pana-Vise. My wife would shoot me if she sees another one come home in the back of my truck...
    that one could sneak past in your briefcase

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    My favorite vise is a parrot vise on my bench it swivels in 2 plains and comes with an extension that mounts it over the edge of the bench and allows it to swivel in the third plane. Not a super heavy duty vise but it does things my mechanics vise wont. The other ting I like about it is he jaws are bigger instead of the 1"X 5" on most vises they are 3" wide and almost 3" deep and smooth. I have maple and lead inserts for mine.

That little Harbor Freight vise would be a handy vise to mount on a board and c clamp to a bench right where its needed. It could be held in a bigger vise also.
    there five vices around here - but if I see that one anyplace there will be six - that is a dandy piece !

Moderator Emeritus

I currently use a vintage USA made tiny clamp-on vise I use in the casting/lubesizing room. I thought it was the cat's meow, but then you show me this video of the multi-swiveling wonder with dual clamping heads...I think I gotta get one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    that one could sneak past in your briefcase
    The downsides to being discovered could be disastrous...LOL

I've got something very similar--almost indispensable for working on small parts when gunsmithing. I used to take it to the range with me in my toolbox. This is a pretty good example of modern mass production lowering costs, as there used to only be one maker of this type of vise and they were quite expensive. The only concern is does quality suffer.

DG

Now you just need a set of brass or aluminum jaw plates for it.

Boolit Grand Master

Grizzly has a version of it Mine is by the original maker in cleavland ohio. I dont remember what it cost but it is very handy.

I may make aluminum jaws for it but like the lead as they can be recast over and over.

Boolit Master
    I have made custom Softer Jaws for my Vise's out of old Zinc Wheel Weights cast to the shape I needed.
    Lead Jaws work too.
    But the zinc weights are not going to ever be cast into Boolits , so why not use it for something.
    Plus Zinc is a little harder than lead.

For jaw pads in small vises like this, light work, I use leather cut from old boot tops.

DG

I acquired a pattern maker's vise as a gift from my church pastor, who was cleaning out his garage. It is the one that has metal working jaws on one side, and woodworking jaws on the other.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I use everything from a Jewelers hand vise up , not sure really how many I have . I really like old Wilton's . I got one old large Wilton and a medium sized US made vice along with the benches for hauling them off when my last job went to Mexico. They were gonna throw them in the dumpster rather than ship them there. I also got a near new Ryobi drill press , 2 Kennedy boxes and several digital high dollar calipers that were all going in the dumpster. I bought a huge Wilton at a yard sale for $2.00 that I used twice to change U joints in a couple of my trucks before something came loose inside and it quit working. Gonna get my cousin to rebuild it for me next time I go north for a visit , this thing probably weighs 75 pounds so I got it for less than scrap value.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master

I have had an ancient 4 inch Craftsman on my reloading bench for 40 years. Used way more often than one might think.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast