Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Coming soon - lee six station progressive press

Primer system.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

I don't think it's perfect but I think that is a REALLY good improvement with the priming system. Looks like I'll be replacing my Loadmaster with a 6000 but I'd like to see more reviews once they come out.

I just hope there is room to drill a hole at the end of the priming station to sweep out any transient powder.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    Primer system.
    Would have been better without the fist blocking the camera's view at the end of the stroke though...
    just sayin'

Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

New video of the priming system, it looks perfect!

Boolit Grand Master
    It worked for a handful of cases. And we do not know how many "takes" it took to make the video.

The Lee 1000 "worked" too, or Lee would not have released a product they knew would be doomed to failure. But the average Joe could not get the 1000 to work for hundreds of rounds at a time. The 1000 was instrumental in Lee earning its reputation for making "junk". IMO the worst marketing/sales decision they ever made.

I am not a "Lee Basher". I have some of their stuff but I know it is of lesser quality. At times that is all that is needed.

The real test will be when a person using a Dillon adds this new press to their stable and declares, "The Lee is working just as well as my Dillon" (after making over 10k rounds). Until then, I am skeptical.

If I headed up Lee marketing, this is what I would do. Give the press and $10,000 to someone like J Morris to do a 15k round test. 5k rounds of 9mm (split between cast and jacketed bullets), 5k rounds of .45 ACP (spilt between cast and jacketed bullets), 3k rounds of 5.56, 2k rounds of .30/06. Then, I would know if I had a product that will work...and if not, what needs to be done.

But some of you guys will be the "beta" testers instead. SNAFU.

Evolution is wonderful. But sometimes a species dies off.

Lee 1000, Pro 1000, Pro 4000, Loadmaster, Six Pack Pro...

If Lee is not successful with this latest iteration, they will have a tough time selling the next "new and improved" kick at the cat.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    It worked for a handful of cases. And we do not know how many "takes" it took to make the video.

The Lee 1000 "worked" too, or Lee would not have released a product they knew would be doomed to failure. But the average Joe could not get the 1000 to work for hundreds of rounds at a time. The 1000 was instrumental in Lee earning its reputation for making "junk". IMO the worst marketing/sales decision they ever made.

I am not a "Lee Basher". I have some of their stuff but I know it is of lesser quality. At times that is all that is needed.

The real test will be when a person using a Dillon adds this new press to their stable and declares, "The Lee is working just as well as my Dillon" (after making over 10k rounds). Until then, I am skeptical.

If I headed up Lee marketing, this is what I would do. Give the press and $10,000 to someone like J Morris to do a 15k round test. 5k rounds of 9mm (split between cast and jacketed bullets), 5k rounds of .45 ACP (spilt between cast and jacketed bullets), 3k rounds of 5.56, 2k rounds of .30/06. Then, I would know if I had a product that will work...and if not, what needs to be done.

But some of you guys will be the "beta" testers instead. SNAFU.

Evolution is wonderful. But sometimes a species dies off.

Lee 1000, Pro 1000, Pro 4000, Loadmaster, Six Pack Pro...

If Lee is not successful with this latest iteration, they will have a tough time selling the next "new and improved" kick at the cat.
    How many discontinued presses does Dillion have now?

Boolit Master
    People that have the money to buy Dillon presses do not need to buy lower price equipment. The Lee equipment is made for those of us with lower means. I have a 1000 and I simply prime using a hand primer. It runs through 9mm perfectly and the priming problem was simple to get around. How much more does a Dillon cost to get that priming capability?
    If I need to load a thousand rounds a month then I need a Dillon. If I need to load a thousand rounds a month I certainly have a much bigger shooting and reloading budget then a lot of us. But for the average shooter a Lee 6 pack would be perfect.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    People that have the money to buy Dillon presses do not need to buy lower price equipment. The Lee equipment is made for those of us with lower means. I have a 1000 and I simply prime using a hand primer. It runs through 9mm perfectly and the priming problem was simple to get around. How much more does a Dillon cost to get that priming capability?
    If I need to load a thousand rounds a month then I need a Dillon. If I need to load a thousand rounds a month I certainly have a much bigger shooting and reloading budget then a lot of us. But for the average shooter a Lee 6 pack would be perfect.
    +1^^^^i couldn’t have said it better!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe Lee should eliminate the Mickey Mouse primer systems they have been using, reduce the price, and offer a hand primer "bonus" for $20 with every "progressive". People who want a real progressive press would look elsewhere. Those who do not want or need a press that can prime on the press would be better served by not paying for something that is useless.

BTW, folks who prime off the press should be looking at used Lee's instead of buying new. There are plenty of folks who get rid of them after realizing they do not work as hoped. See them on eBay for $125-150.

Titan has new Lee 1000's on sale for $220. Seems like a good deal. I suspect they cannot sell the things even during the "shortage" and have to move them out.

As to the "those who can afford" comment, let me say this. When I started out, I was still in school and poor. My mentor gave me good advice. Buy good stuff that will work and last a lifetime. I still have my expensive Lyman furnace, Star sizer and Co-Ax I bought over 50 years ago. IIRC, the Co-Ax was ($68) and double what a Lyman press cost. That press is now about $350+ and I can sell it tomorrow for $200+
    Don Verna

The real test will be when a person using a Dillon adds this new press to their stable and declares, "The Lee is working just as well as my Dillon" (after making over 10k rounds).
    This may be me, as I do want to try this press out, just for curiosities sake.

I started off with Lee progressives and hated them so much that I sold them at a local reloader's parking lot swap meet for $50 each. I still have 3 or 4 Lee single stage presses and the Cast Turret press. They are all good presses and a good value for the money.

I now run a couple Dillon 650's and a 550. The primer feed mechanism of this new Lee looks similar in concept to the one Dillon uses on the 550. And what they changed the 650 primer feed to on the new 750 press.

The Lee primer feed boxes are much easier and faster to load than the metal tubes for a Dillon. And when you load the Lee primer feed up you can instantly tell if a primer is upside down, so that is a plus. I load my Dillon tubes on an Dillon RF-100 primer filler and occasionally one gets in the tube upside down.

And I sometimes wish my 650's had 6 stations when loading black powder cartridges using both a neck expander die and a powder compression die.

This press could be a useful addition to the stable.

Lee has had many good ideas over the years, sometimes self-sabotaged by too much plastic in the mechanics.

I can't imagine being without my Lee APP press. I even set my Dillon 650 case feeder up to feed it. But being made of so much plastic, I got on the Lee website and the nice people there sold me a complete spares set for my APP at a reasonable price. I am a happy customer, and they have great service in my experience.

And I run Lee Auto-disk powder measures on all my Dillon tool heads - as I prefer them to the Dillon measures. So I am by no means a Lee hater. On the contrary, a majority of my reloading dies are LEE and I am perfectly happy with them.

So I am anxiously awaiting the release of this press. It will be fun to play with.

Boolit Master
    Maybe Lee should eliminate the Mickey Mouse primer systems they have been using, reduce the price, and offer a hand primer "bonus" for $20 with every "progressive". People who want a real progressive press would look elsewhere. Those who do not want or need a press that can prime on the press would be better served by not paying for something that is useless.

BTW, folks who prime off the press should be looking at used Lee's instead of buying new. There are plenty of folks who get rid of them after realizing they do not work as hoped. See them on eBay for $125-150.

Titan has new Lee 1000's on sale for $220. Seems like a good deal. I suspect they cannot sell the things even during the "shortage" and have to move them out.

As to the "those who can afford" comment, let me say this. When I started out, I was still in school and poor. My mentor gave me good advice. Buy good stuff that will work and last a lifetime. I still have my expensive Lyman furnace, Star sizer and Co-Ax I bought over 50 years ago. IIRC, the Co-Ax was ($68) and double what a Lyman press cost. That press is now about $350+ and I can sell it tomorrow for $200+
    Wow OK then
    That reads somewhat like a rant (to me) with a lot of assumptions to fit the narrative.

The only Dillon I have used to date was a 4 station/hand index SDB and I found that required too much operator input per cycle for me.
    I have reloaded on several different colored progressives and have delt with priming issues on them all.

I have found that 95% of all priming problems in progressive reloading can be traced back to crimped primers being sucked back in and indexed over to the priming station or primer smooge (or spilled powder) tying up the primer pin or primer mechanism.
    De-priming, removing any crimp, and removing the primer smooge via wet/pin tumbling mitigates both of those problems (for me).
    Well, that and NOT dumping powder into an un-primed case.

Yes, I even prime on my Lee progressives.
    I do not prime on the Loadmaster anymore (but could) because I chose to free up a station to add a Hornady inline bullet feeding die.
    So, I pre-prime cases heading for loadmaster on a Pro 1000.

I urge anyone using non-Dillon equipment to go over to the Brian Enos forum and skim thru the Dillon user's forum to see just what problems Dillon equipment owners are dealing with.
    Also, a quick search on ebay for Dillon fixes will let you see a page of add-ons sold to deal with Dillon "perfection".

https://forums.brianenos.com/forum/7...ing-equipment/

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...press+upgrades

Not sure why the Six Pack press is getting flamed here, before it has been offered for sale, but it's just a typical reaction to anything Lee good or bad.
    I'm willing to wait-and-see though.
    jmo,
    Edit: my fav Dillon up grade: https://www.ebay.com/itm/26553872581...Bk9SR-S4h9z7YA
    A $17 piece of aluminum flashing (with Logo)
    Here's another, generic (no logo) $20+: https://www.ebay.com/itm/29511294788...Cclp%3A2047675
    Last edited by Kenstone; 10-15-2022 at 06:49 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

The Lee stuff has served me pretty well over the years, yes, some of it is finicky and, in some ways, Rinky Dink, but it was all I could afford and allowed me to get into reloading when other options were outside of my price range.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ken, I did not flame the 6 Pack...yet. My point is folks who cannot afford to buy a proven progressive should be wary of buying this new press.

Lee has not been able to get it right for a long time. Let people who can afford to take the hit be the beta testers. Someone like hporter, above, or someone like you who has other presses and is not left stranded with a new machine that has issues.

BTW, a Dillon SD is not manually indexed, so not sure what you were loading on.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Ken, I did not flame the 6 Pack...yet. My point is folks who cannot afford to buy a proven progressive should be wary of buying this new press.

Lee has not been able to get it right for a long time. Let people who can afford to take the hit be the beta testers. Someone like hporter, above, or someone like you who has other presses and is not left stranded with a new machine that has issues.

BTW, a Dillon SD is not manually indexed, so not sure what you were loading on.
    ...yet

So, why do you think: "folks who cannot afford to buy a proven progressive", or: "Lee has not been able to get it right for a long time" is not bashing?

In your negative posts in this thread, you start off under the guise of warning potential buyers to be wary, then go onto your latinity of negative comments.
    Not bashing?
    Yes-it's more like trolling for posters like me.

BTW, I did reference the wrong Dillon model as it belonged to a friend, I used it at his house, and was probably a 550 (another guess).
    That's the reason I added some detail about its operation.

I have realized I should just ignore your posts here, like everyone else has.
    So, take the last word if you see the need but I won't be responding to you anymore but will continue further discussion of the six pack.
    jmo,

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post

Edit: my fav Dillon up grade: https://www.ebay.com/itm/26553872581...Bk9SR-S4h9z7YA
    A $17 piece of aluminum flashing (with Logo)
    Here's another, generic (no logo) $20+: https://www.ebay.com/itm/29511294788...Cclp%3A2047675
    Think I'll stay out of this hornet nest, but I wanted to show you how I closed up my green RCBS bins.....using my favorite tool....the Creality 3D printer...... No aluminum, no logo......but it works, and only cost me 50 cents worth of PLA plastic and an hour of printing time, each. I decided to try something different...straight up with angled side returns. Click the picture for a bigger view.

I only own one Lee press....the APP. An original target Lee Loader in .243W. Was too lazy to like the target loader....so I bought a Rock Chucker, but I dearly love my APP. Glad I don't have to live without it.....even though I did for nearly 50 years!
    Last edited by GWS; 10-17-2022 at 12:27 AM.

Boolit Master
    Wow, thanks for reading/responding to my post

I love reading about all the stuff that's being built with 3D printers posted by you and the others and have looked at the related printer mega threads.
    I am tempted to jump into it with both feet.
    But I need another hobby like a hole in my wallet and with my luck all sources for filament would dry up the moment I bought a printer.

Keep posting that 3D stuff, as it has got me looking into our local library having printers to use for free!
    All I'll need is filament, a program, and schedule some run time.
    That, and know that I have some "outdated" green progressives that have served me well for many years too.
    jmo,

Boolit Buddy
    Not sure about perfect. Why does the primer tray hit both the press body and whatever is in station 3? How many flexes of those plastic primer feed pieces is it going to take before it breaks and dumps primers all over.

22_Match

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Think I'll stay out of this hornet nest, but I wanted to show you how I closed up my green RCBS bins.....using my favorite tool....the Creality 3D printer...... No aluminum, no logo......but it works, and only cost me 50 cents worth of PLA plastic and an hour of printing time, each. I decided to try something different...straight up with angled side returns. Click the picture for a bigger view.

Attachment 305693

I only own one Lee press....the APP. An original target Lee Loader in .243W. Was too lazy to like the target loader....so I bought a Rock Chucker, but I dearly love my APP. Glad I don't have to live without it.....even though I did for nearly 50 years!
    I like your design a lot better than what I got. T

https://inlinefabrication.com/produc...1c6b48b0&_ss=r

I was going to get some metal and make my own but not worth the hassle for the handful I needed. I was buying stuff from In-Line anyway so added them to the order.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Wow, thanks for reading/responding to my post

I love reading about all the stuff that's being built with 3D printers posted by you and the others and have looked at the related printer mega threads.
    I am tempted to jump into it with both feet.
    But I need another hobby like a hole in my wallet and with my luck all sources for filament would dry up the moment I bought a printer.

Keep posting that 3D stuff, as it has got me looking into our local library having printers to use for free!
    All I'll need is filament, a program, and schedule some run time.
    That, and know that I have some "outdated" green progressives that have served me well for many years too.
    jmo,.
    Okay, I'm enclosing the print file (.stl) for this little bin closure print, so you can print it at home or at the library. A good tiny print to suck you in. I think Don Verna may have already dipped his feet in the hobby. You ought to see what I did with an RCBS Summit press, Lee APP shuttle parts, and TylorR's Quick Change APP parts.....a heavy duty APP with a case feeder. It never ends. You DO need this complimentary hobby to add to what you already do.

Attachment 305757

Now, I spent $500 on my 3D printer, but you can buy a smaller one and still print most things reloading.....except for large case collators, for a couple hundred bucks. But, I wanted to be able to print TylerR's 300mm square case feeder.....if the smaller bullet feeders is all you nee, print on beds 220mm square.....so Ender 3's work fine. Mine's a CR-10 Version 2.

Here's what I discovered. I could buy a single Mr. Bullet Feeder and 2 caliber changes for about the same money. But having spend that money on a printer instead, meant that I can print bullet feeders/collators or larger case collators for $70 to $80 a piece and a caliber change kits for around $10 each. So where am I now? I have 4 collators, several caliber changes for each, I have 2 press-lighting and camera systems, Bullet feed dies for 4 pistol calibers.....and that just getting started. The printer keeps on giving.....best investment I've made in this hobby. I could not have afforded all the collators and feed dies without it.
    Last edited by GWS; 10-17-2022 at 11:30 AM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast