RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Coming soon - lee six station progressive press

Boolit Master

It looks to me that most of the above posts are concerned with the priming apparatus on this new press, what I would be concerned about is the primers being available to put in that machine.

Ken

Boolit Master
    I am a Lee fan, but over many years, I have learned to be patient and let the bugs get worked by the impulsive, guns, trucks, engines, software, hardware. After a year or two, I will probably get one. Dillon is on version C, so they are still tweaking. I have a 550 with the upgrades, a couple Lee 1000's and a Lee Loadmaster - they all work if you pay attention.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PrestoColumbus View Post
    After seeing the Lee APP press and how finicky it is, I'm not optimistic. (remembering my dad launching cases across the room...)

I have a lot of Lee stuff, big fan. But if its anything like the APP it's gonna need some tweaking/tuning before it will work.
    You mean just like the LLM.

Vendor Sponsor

I have a LM, and yes the priming system on it sucked, so I ended up priming off press, then feeding primed cases to the shellholder under the powder drop manually, seating, crimping, and pulling the loaded round out the side, only using 3 stations, I'd probably be better off trading for a classic turret press for rimmed cases.

I use the collator for primed 45ACP cases but I doubt I would ever use all 6 of the stations.

I tried Lee's Auto Bench Prime when it came out, total waste of time. My right hand is hurting now, and getting some arthritis, I would LOVE a hand held primer with a foot operated ram.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I will watch with interest to see how this pans out. As I have stated repeatedly Lee has some really good ideas, but the execution is sometimes lacking.
    Agreed. I have a 4 hole.. and love it.. but I stripped off all the auto index plastic gear junk that strips out in 2 weeks.. I just run it as a straight turret.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Agreed. I have a 4 hole.. and love it.. but I stripped off all the auto index plastic gear junk that strips out in 2 weeks.. I just run it as a straight turret.
    Good point about the plastic bits and pieces. They usually are the problem on any press. Having spares and making the design such that they are easily replaced helps but it is still aggravating when you need to crank up a few hundred rounds in a hurry.

If the cost cutters would use MIM instead of plastic injection molded parts it might add $50 to the cost but be so much better. I wonder if making them out of a better material using 3D printing could enhance longevity?
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

I'm quite happy with my pro 1000, but I have to admit, if this goes on sale for $300 for just the press... I'm buying it. That's not much more than a new Pro 1000, and you are doubling the stations. It looks like a classic cast with a pro 1000 style system, which I love. I guess the only real drawback I see is that without the turret plates, it's going to take a few more minutes for a changeover unless you buy those breech lock bushings for all your dies.

I'm excited. Maybe with the rock solid classic cast linkage, bigger foot print, and a solid mount on the bench, it might not be that bad to prime on this press.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    im not knocking Lee, I have, use and like their products.....but isnt it a little late to enter the progressive press market what are the 2 additional stations for??? Ive been using a 550 Dillon for a long time with only 4 stations ????
    Late? Lee has been making progressives for something like 30 years, maybe longer.

I don't "need" 6 stations, but it sure is nice to have, and opens a lot of possibilities. Size/deprime, flare/powder, seat, crimp, 4 stations is a normal setup in an ideal world. Sometimes there are better ways. for example, now you can add an NOE expander plug before the flare/powder station. If you run a powder check die, that's another station. I like a visual check, but I'd love to have both the visual and a lockout die, and now I can. I'm not a fan of it, but some guys like to trim rifle cases on the press as well.

Basically you can load ammo with 4 stations, or even 3, but you are forced to make compromises to condense into that format. With 6 stations, you are much more free to choose your own way.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Good point about the plastic bits and pieces. They usually are the problem on any press. Having spares and making the design such that they are easily replaced helps but it is still aggravating when you need to crank up a few hundred rounds in a hurry.

If the cost cutters would use MIM instead of plastic injection molded parts it might add $50 to the cost but be so much better. I wonder if making them out of a better material using 3D printing could enhance longevity?
    Possibly... that or composite with metal skeleton or any number of ways. heck.. I'd pay an extra hundred for aluminum parts ( but not zamack ).. don't like cast parts with zinc in them much.

Boolit Master
    Possibly... that or composite with metal skeleton or any number of ways. heck.. I'd pay an extra hundred for aluminum parts ( but not zamack ).. don't like cast parts with zinc in them much.
    I have no idea about the 6 station , but all the Lee presses I have had pro 1000 , Loadmaster , 4 station classic turret and auto breech lock pro , are steel and aluminum.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I have no idea about the 6 station , but all the Lee presses I have had pro 1000 , Loadmaster , 4 station classic turret and auto breech lock pro , are steel and aluminum.
    I don't know where you got your special edition all steel/aluminum 4 hole classic..but the one I bought had all plastic primer feeds, and the auto index collar was plastic with a steel rod..the rod wasn't the weak point..the plastic is/was.

Please post pics of your auto advance mechanism on your 4 hole that is 100% sterl/aluminum, and not a plastic collar clamped to the ram like all the others I've seen.

Boolit Master

I'm on lee precision sight right now... The 90997 large and small safety primer feed system still looks 99.9% plastic.. And the classic 4 hole turret press (red)..just like I have, still shows a black plastic indexing collar that clamps to the ram. The index bar is metal..but the piece that strips is the black plastic collar. Looks unchanged to me.
    The primer feed system could be made from metal easily. MEC made them out of mostly metal.

Boolit Master
    I'm on lee precision sight right now... The 90997 large and small safety primer feed system still looks 99.9% plastic.. And the classic 4 hole turret press (red)..just like I have, still shows a black plastic indexing collar that clamps to the ram. The index bar is metal..but the piece that strips is the black plastic collar. Looks unchanged to me.
    The primer feed system could be made from metal easily. MEC made them out of mostly metal.
    They absolutely have plastic and they may have some zinc on reloading presses just not the ones I have had.
    They also sell plastic parts kits very cheap and the first individual parts that you add to your kart are free but you but pay shipping.
    I always order the spare parts kits when I order a press so I have replacements if any thing was to break in the middle of a session . The only plastic parts I have had to replace were operator error
    If Lee built presses just like Dillon they would probably cost as much , that is not Lee's market.
    Glad we have both

Boolit Grand Master

They absolutely have plastic and they may have some zinc on reloading presses just not the ones I have had.
    They also sell plastic parts kits very cheap and the first individual parts that you add to your kart are free but you but pay shipping.
    I always order the spare parts kits when I order a press so I have replacements if any thing was to break in the middle of a session . The only plastic parts I have had to replace were operator error
    If Lee built presses just like Dillon they would probably cost as much , that is not Lee's market.
    Glad we have both
    No kidding. I understand that Dillon makes a fine press... but a 750 is $700. Lee ratchets last a long time as it is. if I have to replace them for $3 every couple years, so be it. If everything on a press was steel and aluminum, they would eat themselves alive. While brass is usually a better choice for longevity over plastic, the prices are not even close. One other great thing with plastic is that it does not need or benefit from lube. I'm ok with lube, but the less I have to oil a press the better. Plastic in the right places is just fine, especially if it is a part that has potential to be jammed and broken. I'm fine with sacrificial parts that are cheap.

Ultimately like everything, I think it comes down to two kinds of people. A third kind would be those that just want to be cheap, but they will never be happy with anything.

#1 Those who just want a turn-key deal to slam out ammo as fast as possible. Run it to failure, then have it fixed.

#2 Those with a mechanical mind, and won't loose sleep because they had to stop mid-run to change a part.

Obviously nobody want a piece of junk that doesn't stay together, but the lee Pro 1000 is a solid machine that will run if you just read the directions, and understand how it works. I expect nothing less of this Pro 6000. If you don't want to deal with that, and just want to mount a press, dies, and go, then I really doubt this press will do that.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 05-26-2022 at 03:07 PM.

Boolit Master

I use two Lee APPs for de priming. I then use a RCBS or LEE bench mounted primer. I do what most of my younger shooting buddies call, “unnecessary, anal induced OCD,” because I want to keep my Dillons clean and most of my Turrets or SSs don’t have a decent depriming system. Only the LEEs do, IMHO. Cause I find the priming on anything but a 650xl or Pro2000 to be subpar. My problem for sure.

As for the new Pro 6000, if it’s half as good as the Pro 4000s it’s will be a hit! Nothing is ever to late to the party if it does the 80-90% of what machines that are twice the price do.

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    A lot of people criticize the Lee primer feed on these presses and say how dangerous it is and a primer explosion will follow the run all the way up to and into the tray. Obviously these people have no idea of explosion dynamics! I don't know if Lee designed it that way or not but I would have to think they did. Otherwise it would have been just as easy to make a one piece tube feed. Notice that the feed tube is two piece and just snapped together. This feed tube goes into the primer cup at an angle. If the primer in the cup were to explode it may possibly cause the next one in line to go off but when that one goes off it is going to blow that tube wide open and scatter the rest of the primers before any explosive force can act on them. I simply cannot believe all these keyboard experts that do not see how this works! " Make the tube out of steel!" Have you seen the recent pics of the tube that exploded from bottom to top and did one hell of a job on the guys hands? THAT is what happens when you CONTAIN the primers and not let them out like the two piece plastic would do. On top of all of that, the priming system on the Lee press is on the opposite side from the operator so if it did go off the press is between you and the shrapnel.

Boolit Master

Never heard about the "explosion" problem. Hell, I would have to get a primer in to the station before I could crush it and cause an explosion.

The guy he was referring to was carrying a tube of primers across a carpeted room not in the press sleeve either. Messed up his hands pretty good. Containment is the problem. That's why I ended up with stripped primers.....only 25 spaced primers not 100 stacked ones.

The Lee tray holds how many....but at least they're not contained.....which is good. I'm less scared of Lee's, than Dillon, Hornady, RCBS primer tubes. RCBS shoulda perfected the APS system instead of tossing it aside when Dillon and Hornady buyers took it personal. It was a good idea and it worked.

Boolit Master
    I am pretty sure the one I am referring to was in a press, it was in a thread on here. I will try to find it.

Found it, It was actually a link posted on Handloaders Bench forum.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/thr...minder.299386/
    Last edited by Rickf1985; 06-02-2022 at 09:58 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Modern firearms use steel, aluminum, and plastic routinely. Cast iron presses are not made of gun materials. Dillon has never used cast iron to make their presses. Dillon abandoned their 650 priming system do to explosions.

Gavin, Thee Ultimate Reloaded on YouTube, reviewed both the Lee 1000 & Loadmaster. He commented he had no priming problems in both videos. Lee uses an alignment pin on the new 1000, 4000, and 6000 press to lock the shell plate in position during priming. It seems to work to align things for priming pretty well.

The plastic priming system has the benefit of lubricity and not being conductive. Notice that primer trays primers are sold in are plastic ? Notice Green & Orange primer flip trays are plastic ?

Notice Dillon makes a Zink alloy flip tray ?

Using modern materials is a paradigm shift from tradition. I think the Star & RCBS Green machines are all steel construction. You can find them.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast