MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Old grill to make smelting pot

Boolit Master

Old grill to make smelting pot

With the life of most BBQ grills being about 7 to 10 years, has anyone used the side burner to make a smelting pot? I am talking about the burner for a sauce pot on the side of some grills. I would like to see some pics of a DIY smelter.

Boolit Master
    ive got one sitting outside, bbq grill part is pretty rusted out and not very usable but the frame and side burner still good. I would use it to melt potfuls , first testing the weight on it before attempting it, but have several other burners that are much sturdier a couple turkey cookers and an iron framed two burner propane stove as well as the old Coleman standbys

Boolit Master
    I’ve used it to make tin ingots, but not lead, too small.

Not enough heat IMO.

For smelting, I would buy a jet type turkey/fish fryer. Lower to the ground, better able to take a load.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    The side burner on our grill is exactly what I use to melt wheel weights, range scrap or lead joints and make ingots. I don't know the heat output, but things usually progress a lot faster when I use a torch. Once I have a nice puddle going, the torch is not needed. I use a refrigerant tank cut in half as my melting pot, and also use a piece of sheet metal as a wind screen. You do have to watch how much you melt at a time, cuz the wire rack the pot sits on, it's not awfully sturdy, and does bend some.

Boolit Master

a BBQ side burner may be adequate for boolit casting, but none of mine seemed to put out enough heat for smelting. I did use one for mixing up a batch of Ben's Red a few or more years ago.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

For small amounts you can probably get away with it, but if you plan on doing buckets of wheel weights or range scrap save the frustration and get a high BTU turkey frier and a nice cast iron Dutch oven.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    The side burner on ours will NEVER get hot enough to smelt lead.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    NOT ENOUGH HEAT! Those little tiny things are for warming sauces and the like. You need a TON more BTU's than those to re-melt lead.....at least any decent quantity of it!

Get a turkey fryer like everybody else uses and forget using old recycled junk.

You will be much happier!

banger

Boolit Master

Thanks everyone. I have an old grill that I thought Imight be able to repurpose. I currently use a Coleman stove which is not ideal.

Boolit Master
    Not sure that the side burner would be a step-up you want, another vote for the turkey/fish fryer with the cast dutch oven. I am not sure I could trust even 30-40 pounds on the side wing of an old gas grill, and why would you want that piece of fine furniture around? Put it on the curb where it belongs, the recycler will take good care of it.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    A Coleman stove puts out a LOT more heat than those little side burners. I have several of them and thought about running one on a 30# regulator but decided the holes are not big enough in the burner and never tried it. Then you would have to build a stand anyway to hold the weight. Might as well start with the right turkey fryer.