Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: Ruger Super Redhawk .480 Ruger

Ruger Super Redhawk .480 Ruger

Well, I got my "Hand Cannon" a Super Redhawk, .480 Ruger 9 1/2"barrel. I reload with a Dillon RL550 (dies, etc. on the way) but don't cast my own. Looking at buying and loading the Missouri Bullet Co.:
    .476 Diameter
    340 Grain RNFP-Flat Base
    Brinell 18
    Bullet OAL .824 +/-
    Hi-Tek 2-Extreme Coating

I'd also like to get some Hornady 325 gr XTP to have but none to be found where all I looked. Not looking for elephant/rhino loads but just some to start out with to see how the Ruger shoots..

Any favorite loads? (I know I need to go to the CB Loads section to see what might be there, and I will get there.)

Thanks for any insights.
    Ron
    USAF Ret (E-8) (1971-1997)
    NRA Benefactor

I load an MP-477-640 large hollowpoint at 386 grains over 18.0 grains of 2400. My other load is the same bullet over 14.0 grains of HS-6. Both of these shoot great out of my SBH. They are somewhere between 1100-1200 fps, with the HS-6 load slightly faster. 480 ruger is a great caliber. This bullet has dual crimp grooves, and these loads are using the lower crimp groove.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Well, I have a Ruger Super RH in 480 myself. But giving out load data over the internet isn't something I do. Liability issues,, for starters,, but more importantly,, each & every gun can be a different performer with different loads. Experimentation is required to find "the best for that gun!"
    Yes,, I know components are scarce & expensive. I cast my own slugs & I too use the Miha (MP) mold mentioned above with excellent results in my gun & with my choices of powders.

I understand where you are coming from and realize information posted can be used by anyone that see it. Guess I just wasn't thinking when I wrote it. I'll talk to you more at OGCA. Take care and say Hi to Miss Penny.
    Ron
    USAF Ret (E-8) (1971-1997)
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    Will do! And we can talk at OGCA for sure.

Boolit Master
    The SRH in 480 is a great DA revolver. The Mihec mold is a dandy.

My Ruger is a 7 1/2” but I had a 9 1/2” in 44mag that I traded for the .480. That longer barrel is snake eyes with the “One Ragged Hole” peep sight and better still paired with the Ruger gold bead painted black front sight!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    I'm loading my .480 with Cast Performance 410 grain bullets. They're loaded medium and are fun to shoot.

I hope to get the casting stuff set up this summer and get the RCBS 400 mold making bullets.

Unfortunately, Hornady appears to have discontinued the .475" XTP bullets from their regular line. Speer still makes affordable jacketed bullets in .475. That said, the .480 Ruger is a great cast bullet cartridge. I love the Lee 400gr RF bullet. I've tried a few other designs but the Lee is my go-to for most of my 480 shooting. I've not used any commercially cast bullets, so I can't help much there.