Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cody, Wyoming

Boolit Master

Cody, Wyoming

My wife and have never done a lot of traveling. After a road trip to Texas last year we decided to do another. We flew out of Charlotte, NC last Saturday, changed flights in Dallas and flew into Billings,Montana. I am now setting in Cody, Wyoming. We spent part of the day at the Bufallo Bill Museum, mostly the Firearms Museum, going back tomorrow.

This is absolutly beautiful country with a lot of interesting history. We are going toward Yellowstone in a couple days. The only other time I have flown was a short hop on a bi-plane, it was interesting. This is a big deal for us and we are really having a good time.

Dave

Since you are that close, go up to Big Timber and check out the Sharps rifle co’s. I believe both are still operating on the same street!!

Boolit Grand Master

Yellowstone is pretty cool, but it's peak season right now. I'm sure it will be super busy, so just plan on waiting in line. I've only been there once. It's worth seeing.

Boolit Master
    Keep on telling us about Cody, and Big Timber if you pass through there.
    My son is moving to Billings in June, my wife and I are going to spend a week there to help my son and his wife move and get settled in their new home. I've already told my wife I need to take a couple of day trips, one to Big Timber and one to Cody. If I could figure a way to talk her into going to Freedom Wyoming, I'd make a stop there also.

Boolit Master

I hope you have a great trip.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Good for you and your wife! Enjoy every minute together and enjoy all the great things to see!

Boolit Mold
    Congrats glad you are taking the time to enjoy life,it goes by too quick.Ive been working the family business for 39yr ,my wife and i are starting to do more before we are to old next years list is going to shot the quigley rifle match enjoy your trip.
    God Bless

beemer, Really glad you made the trip and are enjoying yourselves! It’s a shame that you’re about 2 weeks early for the opening of Beartooth Pass over to Red Lodge, Mt……weather permitting! It’s a beautiful drive.

While in Cody, if you have an extra few hours, visit the Old Trail Town! I always thought it was just a tourist trap, but went there 2 years ago with my son’s family. It is a collection of homes, churches, schools, ect. disassembled from their original location then reassembled in Cody. A real good insight into how people lived “and died” in our area.

Maybe I’m biased, but I found it to be a good snapshot back into our history! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master

I was last there is 2006. Hopefully the Erma hotel still has it's dinner buffet. On the way into Yellowstone be sure to stop at Pahaska Teepee, I think I spelled it correctly. A short or medium stack of pancakes for breakfast is plenty, maybe for two, trust me. Lots to see in Yellowstone. Pahaska Teepee is within sight of the east entrance to the park.
    Enjoy your trip!
    Rick

PS I believe I remember Pahaska Teepee means "White haired's camp" for Buffalo Bill Cody.

Goodness gracious beemer, good for you!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Yellowstone is pretty cool, but it's peak season right now. I'm sure it will be super busy, so just plan on waiting in line. I've only been there once. It's worth seeing.
    You can still get ahead of the crowds if you get there before Memorial day. If you want to see wildlife there, be out and about before sunup and after sunset.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Wife and I were up that way last July for our 30th. Stayed around Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks for a few days. Ended up at Jackson Hole then down to Freedom (spot in the road kind of) to check out F.A. but they were still closed from the extended 4th of July holiday. Big Horn Armory is down the road from Cody, IIRC. If you make it to West Yellowstone, there is a bakery there with Huckleberry Scones----mmmmmgood.
    Beautiful country there

Cody is a great place, lots of history. The Erma Hotel was mentioned.It was actually built by Buffalo Bill and named for his daughter. The ornate bar was a gift from Queen Victoria, I believe. Glad you plan to go back to the firearms museum. Be sure to see the other parts of the museum, also.

The country gets prettier as you drive toward Yellowstone, and the view of Yellowstone Lake is breathtaking. Plan to spend several days in the park, it’s gigantic.

Enjoy your trip.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29FFC597-E4AA-4B15-95F7-A4E10DF4C359.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	300259
    Cody is terrific. My wife and I drove from NC out there so I could shoot the Wyoming State SASS match along with 4 days in Yellowstone. Did multiple visits to the museum, gunshops and ate at The Irma a bunch too. Met our son and grandson there [they drove up from Ft Worth] and stayed in a cabin. Beautiful place. We did the promenade walk through town wearing our guns and outfits for the Irma photo. The photo is of my wife and grandson taken at the banquet. He’s 22 now. We also went to Mt Rushmore going west and hit Deadwood on the return trip. Wonderful trip.

Boolit Buddy
    When you are finished in Yellowstone head north on Hwy 89 to Livingston, MT. A nice little town with personality. If you like custom leather goods check out Word of Mouth Leather for custom holsters, saddles, Western gear, etc. I spent 5 weeks there in January/February on a film project and had a wonderful time. If you like antiques I recommend an antique mall in Bozeman that has a pretty eclectic mix with some good Western flavored selections.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    North out of Yellowstone, Bannock, Virginia City, and Nevada City are worth some time. Big Hole Battlefield isn't far from those. Cross on over to Hwy, 93, go north a bit, and drive the Skalkaho pass highway. Gravel road most of the way, but a scenic back road few tourists know about. Ends up at Phillipsburg, neat little town, and you can pan for sapphires.
    I'm pretty sure the Irma is still open, but I seem to remember hearing Old Town may have been closed, not sure though.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the comments, we are staying in the Irma Inn and doing the lunch buffet shortly. I visited the Old Trail Town yesterday, it is not a large place but well worth seeing. There are several buildings used by Butch Cassidy and the grave of Jeremiah Johnston. Also a small museum with some nice artifacts.

I am really hoping to get back to Billings in time to go to the Little Big Horn Battlefield.

Old Trail Town made me think of a place near Hickory, NC called Hart's Square. A local heart surgeon named Hart built a 1820 village with local restored cabins. Including a working water powered corn mill and cotton gin powered by horses. You can only get in once a year. He brings in old craftsmen, tinkers, cobblers, weavers, woodworkers and wheel wrights. It is quite a show.

Dave

A note about Yellowstone: Spring, Fall and Winter are great….the “other” season not so much! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master

my wife & I stayed at the Irma for our #5 anniversary.
    important hint: Remember to put up the "Do Not Disturb" sign. Housekeeping doesn't always knock

Been in Cody, Yellowstone country. BEEEEutiful! If I were ever to move from Texas, Wyoming would be on the list!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast