Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cody, Wyoming

Boolit Master

If you get a chance and do go back to the firearms museum pay particular attention looking for Texas Jack's firearms. Sometimes they are on display and sometimes they are not. They were not on display in 2003 but were in 2006. Texas Jack was Buffalo Bills riding partner and they started the wild west show together. He was also My great -grandfathers' brother.
    Enjoy the trip,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    Thanks for all the comments, we are staying in the Irma Inn and doing the lunch buffet shortly. I visited the Old Trail Town yesterday, it is not a large place but well worth seeing. There are several buildings used by Butch Cassidy and the grave of Jeremiah Johnston. Also a small museum with some nice artifacts.

I am really hoping to get back to Billings in time to go to the Little Big Horn Battlefield.

Old Trail Town made me think of a place near Hickory, NC called Hart's Square. A local heart surgeon named Hart built a 1820 village with local restored cabins. Including a working water powered corn mill and cotton gin powered by horses. You can only get in once a year. He brings in old craftsmen, tinkers, cobblers, weavers, woodworkers and wheel wrights. It is quite a show.

Dave
    We've done Hart's Square... Definitely worth the trip!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Was there ~ 2010. Only thing that has stuck with me is that they had Bill's actual buffalo rifle off with a large exhibit on the geology of the area. Unrestored. It's a plain trapdoor Springfield, not one of the glamour makes.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Buffalo Bill Dam and Visitor Center is an interesting place, also.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    where is the eye candy? pictures, pictures, pictures. as I sit here watching the grass grow, would be nice to see different and interesting things.

We were there last August. Spent time in Cody at the Museum and then headed to Yellowstone. Got snowed on in Yellowstone, and didn't see much wildlife (we were just driving through). Did get a nice shot of a Bighorn though.

If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Be sure to go down the falls ladders. Look for a collection of cars at the turnouts - usually bears feeding on elk or bison. You need a good spotting scope. Took the kids on the back trail cookout, was fun, about 30 yrs ago.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Was in Paradise Valley (about half way between Yellowstone and Livingston, MT) in January. Here's a photo of one of the sets that were used.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Set - resized.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	300296

We saw fresh wolf tracks in the snow in the mornings. About a month ago a hiker was killed by a grizzly about three miles from here...

Boolit Grand Master
    The Cody firearms museum is terrific. Movie guns, historic guns, even a matched pair of revolvers from John Linebaugh. The Little big Horn isn't too far, either. Went there about 55 years ago and then a return trip two years ago. Well worth it. I love that part of the country. Wish I could get the wife to go there (permanently).

Boolit Bub
    I grew up in Sheridan Wyoming. I played my share of sports in Cody Wyoming. It was my favorite place to play. Pretty touristy, but lots to do and see. My sons name is Cody and this is no coincidence, he was named after Cody Wyoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Buddy
    Wife and I were there last fall. We loved the Cody Museum, we through every foot of it for several days. On the trip we also went to Devil's Tower and the Little Big Horn Battlefield. My last name is Custer so it is a place I wanted to see for many years. Loved it and it makes a lot more sense when you see the area. We have been to Yellowstone several times before so most of that was repeat, like Old Faithful. West Yellowstone is a hoot.

Since we spent several days in the town, we talked to a lot of locals. The weather can be brutal there. It doesn't snow that much because of the mountains but the wind blows like crazy from every direction and it gets miserable. Every local said the same thing. Snow is either nowhere or 4 feet deep from the wind.

Boolit Master

beemer,
    Hope you had a good & memorable visit.

Boolit Master
    We had a great trip, returned home on the 25 th. We didn't have time to do everything but spent most of three days in Yellowstone. We got back to Billings in time to go to the Little Bighorn Battle Ground. Beautiful country in Wyoming and Montana and a lot of history there.

We left Billings and headed for Dallas on the 24 th and got caught in the storms. A less than three hour flight turned into a five hour flight. We flew circles north of Texas for most of two hours. The Dallas airport was shut down for a while and our connecting flight was cancelled. We were stuck in the airport lounge for the night but found another that mourning. Funny thing was everyone we talked to wanted to send us to Miami and then lost out luggage. But everything was worked out and we made it home in fine shape.

Thanks for the interest and comments, some pointed me in the right direction.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12