RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Stupid colt 1911 question

Stupid colt 1911 question

I'm a wheel gun guy, just my age I suppose.

A buddy of mine called today for holster recommendations, his neighborhood is getting weird and he has decided to carry while out doing chore around the place. He has a WWII vintage 1911, when I started looking at holsters only one came up for 1911- but a BUNCH for 1911A.

What model is a WWII vintage 1911??????
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Master
    It's the same profile. Any 1911 holster will hold it. It just depends on what level of retention he requires.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Grand Master

For a holster the differences between a 1911 and a 1911A1 have zero effect.

https://sightm1911.com/1911pix/produ...ety%20spur.%20
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Thank you. I carried one in the military for a long time, good ol' flap holster, hammer down. I'm surprised at the "locked and cocked" carry options.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

The A1 model had a few tinkery little changes made at the govt. request, but nothing major like overall size.

The changes were small enough you could probably convert a pre-1924 1911 to the A1 model
    with a file and a few parts while sitting at the dinner table.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beezapilot View Post
    Thank you. I carried one in the military for a long time, good ol' flap holster, hammer down. I'm surprised at the "locked and cocked" carry options.
    Most people consider cocked and locked, or condition 1, as THE CORRECT way to carry the pistol.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Most people consider cocked and locked, or condition 1, as THE CORRECT way to carry the pistol.
    Yes sir. What I have been doing for 30+ years.

The only caveat is as long as the sights are standard gi sights. A gun with bigger target sights might not fit.

Boolit Master
    I used to carry a 1911 in a Bianchi thumb break holster, condition 1. That was winter wear only, when I could cover it with a jacket. Summer and winter carry now is a J frame .38 S&W, dropped in a hip pocket.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Good article! like I said, don't have a 1911, but remember training in the Nav with the combination of safetys. Never thought about the flexibility that provides.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    That is the way John Browning designed it to be carried and that is how I carry mine!

One thing to consider is, does he have anything else to carry? I would hate to lose an heirloom or valuable pistol to the The Man during an investigation, possibly forever.

WWI had 1911s, WWII only had 1911A1 issued. At least you can look that up….. Theire is no frame difference between the 11 and 11 A1 the primary differance is the raised and rounded mainspring housing, hammer spur size and sights. The 11A1 with a flat mainspring housing is what many competitors use.
    The holsters are exactly the same, they fit the frame.

Suggest your friend carry in a hip holster, on the back of his hip, under a light weight summer jacket. Then practice, practice, practice. Shooting, reloading and drawing.
    The 1911 is a born in the hand gun, once you get used to it, it becomes an attachment.

This is one of the 1911s I built for a retiring PJ/CRO. I have been building 1911s since 64.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ED8ADAAC-DA63-4BCA-91C4-662B4A5D5D61.jpg  
    Last edited by Rapier; 05-16-2022 at 07:20 PM.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    1911’s would have still been issued during WW2. After 1924 the military purchased 1911A1s but the 1911’s in service would remain in service. FWIW along with a few different parts there is a difference in the frame - the cutout behind the trigger is a give away on a 1911A1.

Boolit Master

My favorite outside the waistband is the old all leather Safariland. It has an inside thumb break that isolates the hammer from the firing pin. The thumb break releases easily when the thumb enters it yet it’s otherwise very secure. They were made unlined and with elk suede lining. The lining is almost as slick as modern plastics.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

If you go with a thumb snap holster, try it a few times to make sure it doesn’t slip the safety off when you snap it. I have one from a very well known maker that does that.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    I agree with the thumb snap models.
    I'm also of the cocked and locked school - from the hammer down school long ago.
    It is far safer and more efficient with the hammer cocked over a full chamber with the safety engaged than either presuming safety with a hammer on the firing pin or an empty chamber with a hammer in either position.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by beezapilot View Post
    I'm a wheel gun guy, just my age I suppose.

A buddy of mine called today for holster recommendations, his neighborhood is getting weird and he has decided to carry while out doing chore around the place. He has a WWII vintage 1911, when I started looking at holsters only one came up for 1911- but a BUNCH for 1911A.

What model is a WWII vintage 1911??????
    The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life