Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planting tomatoes

Boolit Grand Master

I'm in Louisiana too just a little below Farmerjim ...He is a real Farmer , like he makes a living doing it ...you got any questions ...he's The Man to ask . 25 years teaches you what to do .

I got 4 tomater and 4 pepper plants in my back yard raised bed ... that's just piddling around .
    I need a few BLT's with good home grown tomatoes and a few jars of pickled peppers every year ...
    or I wouldn't bother... shoveling dirt and pulling weeds is getting to be work ... but dang ...home grown tomatoes sure do taste good !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I put out some cucumbers, tomatoes and jalapenos that I germinated indoors, but they came out real leggy, even though I had the light as low as I could get it. I buried them deep, so hopefully they will survive, but am planning on going to the local grower to buy amish raised ones as back up, and maybe get some melons too. I am all out of spicy jalapenos, and all I can find in stores taste like green peppers, so hoping I can get a good harvest this year. I think I will get more seeds started too, and stagger some plants to see if I can harvest at different times, should have plenty of warm weather to get a few at least.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Moderator Emeritus

Our traditional last frost is memorial day. That at least gets them established before we have to cover them a few times in June.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Over here I was introduced to grafted tomato plants. They are quite popular here. I think they are grafted to eggplants. They really take off, which is good for me because I am at a high altitude and spring comes late. I need to be careful and always keep trimming them back, so there’s not more foliage than fruit. Do they have them these days in the US?

Boolit Master

My sister grew some tomatoes last year in a raised bed. She could not remember what type they were . Got part of one, it was not near enough. They were very dark red and were some of the best I have ever tasted. Definitely better than any I have tasted in the last 35-40 years.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I put out some cucumbers, tomatoes and jalapenos that I germinated indoors, but they came out real leggy, even though I had the light as low as I could get it. I buried them deep, so hopefully they will survive, but am planning on going to the local grower to buy amish raised ones as back up, and maybe get some melons too. I am all out of spicy jalapenos, and all I can find in stores taste like green peppers, so hoping I can get a good harvest this year. I think I will get more seeds started too, and stagger some plants to see if I can harvest at different times, should have plenty of warm weather to get a few at least.
    I've seen a few Lowes and Tractor Supply here selling Carolina Reaper peppers. No interest in those death plants, haha.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday, I transplanted tomatoes and peppers, into my garden. It should be warm enough in my area (Zone 4b)...plus it's supposed to rain today, an all day soaker...seemed to be perfect.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12