Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: reusable soil mix for vegetables

Boolit Master

reusable soil mix for vegetables

if i use a growing soil mix 1/3 each; peatmoss,vermiculite and compost; is it reusable next year??

Boolit Master
    absolutely

Boolit Buddy
    My ratios are different, but the same ingredients. It's reusable, but we have raised beds and the nutrients seem to get used up or leach out of the mix. I can keep it going by topping it off with plenty of compost and manure to richen it up again after the plants are pulled. Also, roots from weeds, last year's plants, and probably the grass around the raised beds can turn the entire bed into an intertwined mass if it sits too long, so it all needs to be turned and chopped up when the new compost and manure gets worked in.

Just my experience here in Alabama.

Vendor Sponsor

Put some red wigglers in there too!! If you don't see any when you turn the beds and work them, there wasn't enough organic content to keep the fed and they will leave. Always good to turn some of your soil and see worms.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    is mushroom compost OK?? if not, what can i use instead? (i don.t have a compost pile)

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    is mushroom compost OK?? if not, what can i use instead? (i don.t have a compost pile)
    Mushroom compost works good, also Lowe's sells Black Kow which is composted cow manure, I use this to work into a bed that has been in service for a while. You may be able to find horse farms near you, they often keep a pile of composting manure, good source of compost but it needs to set for a yr or so so it won't burn roots of plants. Chicken manure is good but also, high in urea and that needs to sit a while too.

If your city collects leaves, they will often dump you a whole truckload of leaves and this makes awesome filler for the bottom of the beds before the soil mix is dumped on, you can let the pile sit out in the weather and it will compost itself, dig down and get the good stuff.. Composted leaves is 100% organic material, worms love it, plants love it, it is often acidic and a lot of plants like that especially berries.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    for outdoor beds that mixture put over buried rotten logs, hugelculture, will provide nutrients for long long time

Boolit Master
    A good compost is a ratio of 3 parts to 4 parts browns to 1 part greens works well, but you do not need to be exact about it.

Greens
    Grass clippings
    Coffee grounds/tea bags
    Vegetable and fruit scraps
    Trimmings from perennial and annual plants
    Annual weeds that haven't set seed
    Eggshells
    Animal manures (cow, horse, sheep, chicken, rabbit, but not dog or cat manure)
    Seaweed

Browns

Fall leaves
    Pine needles
    Twigs, chipped tree branches/bark
    Straw or hay
    Sawdust
    Corn stalks
    Paper (newspaper, writing/printing paper, paper plates, napkins, and coffee filters)
    Dryer lint
    Cotton fabric
    Corrugated cardboard (without waxy/slick coatings)

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    A good compost is a ratio of 3 parts to 4 parts browns to 1 part greens works well, but you do not need to be exact about it.

Greens
    Grass clippings
    Coffee grounds/tea bags
    Vegetable and fruit scraps
    Trimmings from perennial and annual plants
    Annual weeds that haven't set seed
    Eggshells
    Animal manures (cow, horse, sheep, chicken, rabbit, but not dog or cat manure)
    Seaweed

Browns

Fall leaves
    Pine needles
    Twigs, chipped tree branches/bark
    Straw or hay
    Sawdust
    Corn stalks
    Paper (newspaper, writing/printing paper, paper plates, napkins, and coffee filters)
    Dryer lint
    Cotton fabric
    Corrugated cardboard (without waxy/slick coatings)
    I’m on the same page as you. I once even added pieces of untreated sheet rock. Gypsum was once imported to the US as a fertilizer, before modern chemical fertilizers were developed.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Mushroom compost works good, also Lowe's sells Black Kow which is composted cow manure, I use this to work into a bed that has been in service for a while. You may be able to find horse farms near you, they often keep a pile of composting manure, good source of compost but it needs to set for a yr or so so it won't burn roots of plants. Chicken manure is good but also, high in urea and that needs to sit a while too.

If your city collects leaves, they will often dump you a whole truckload of leaves and this makes awesome filler for the bottom of the beds before the soil mix is dumped on, you can let the pile sit out in the weather and it will compost itself, dig down and get the good stuff.. Composted leaves is 100% organic material, worms love it, plants love it, it is often acidic and a lot of plants like that especially berries.
    Minor correction, Doug. Horse manure is actually quite gentle, but their digestion is not thorough and the manure needs to be composted to kill the weed seeds that make it through.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!