MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 40-65 (Sharps) from new Starline 45-70

40-65 (Sharps) from new Starline 45-70

I'm anticipating my 40-65, so when upped the brass count for the 45-70 I got 'extra'.
    So, the question is, "How far back to take the anneal on the brass to be formed into the 40-65?"

Also, does anyone make a bug/die that would be appropriate for restamping the head?

Nick
    Last edited by ANick57; 05-16-2022 at 03:09 AM. Reason: famn dingers n spelling

Boolit Master

I anneal about an inch. Not aware of any sort of re stamping die available, it there was, it wouldn't be cheap. I might suggest, if that is a concern, Starline makes appropriately stamped cases in 40-65, just convert enough 45-70 cases to get by and wait till they make another run. Just a thought. Great caliber, post some pictures when your rifle shows up.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master

The platform wouldnt be hard to make a simple tube to support the rim and threaded post inside the case to support the head. A set of stamps and a small hammer or a auto center punch to drive them.

My concern would be The chance of bent distorted rims, and raised metal changing head space.

What might be faster and easier is a dremil tool with a fine engraving point. rework 45-70 to 40-65 it just x it over. The engraving burr will remove metal not raise it or distort it. Better than the dremil would be a 1/8" pencil grinder at 80,000 rpm. A 1/16" ball burr and cut a shallow line thru the 45-70 marking will id quick and simple

You dont actually need to know they are 40-65 just that they are no longer 45-70

Here is what I did about 30 years ago for my '76 winchester. The base case is .348, reformed. the original headstamp disappeared with a .006 facing cut. The primer pocket was deepened with a shop built cutter. The rim was tweaked forward at the edges to recover the headspace. The stamping was done with Pryor steel type in a shop made jig and stamp holder. Mine is the one on the right, a commercial one is on the left. It was a lot of work for the satisfaction of seeing the correct designation when I levered the shells out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020339.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	300238

Boolit Grand Master

Or color the case head with paint, brass "blue, ....
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.