Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: One for the shotgun slug reloaders.

Boolit Master

One for the shotgun slug reloaders.

First, I know that this isn't the perfect place to post my inquiry, but it's the closest to it that I could find. Mods should feel free to move this thread wherever they believe most appropriate.

My question is about reloading discarding sabot (BRI style) slugs in shotgun shells. I know that such a thing involves neither black powder nor paper-patching. But what can be done with BP can (usually) be done with an equivalent smokeless propellant. I know that paper-patching is not the same as a discarding sabot, but both do many of the same things, except that paper-patched bullets usually travel down rifled barrels, while DS slugs usually do not.
    The BRI style (or similar) slug is what I'd like to investigate. I know that BRI probably doesn't exist anymore, and the rights to the slug were sold to someone who redesigned it and offered (offers) it commercially. Various manufacturers offer them, but right now, such rounds are unicorns. At $5/round commercially, when and as available, my interest is also in economy.

So my question is: Can DS shotgun slugs be safely and effectively reloaded by the private reloader, and are necessary components available? I suspect that any custom mould maker could machine one for the projectile. For the life of me, I do not know where to find nor how to fabricate the cotton DS wads. Could a shot cup or the "fingers" therefrom be used in place? I've also contemplated "dunking" the slugs in PC coat then sizing to appropriate diameter.

Any information, experiences, thoughts, or opinions are welcome.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    I have had great results with these: https://www.slugsrus.com. They have loading data available and are accurate from my NEF Ultra Slug gun.

Don

Boolit Master

You'll find oodles of threads about this topic here:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/for...g-for-Shotguns
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    First, I know that this isn't the perfect place to post my inquiry, but it's the closest to it that I could find. Mods should feel free to move this thread wherever they believe most appropriate.

My question is about reloading discarding sabot (BRI style) slugs in shotgun shells. I know that such a thing involves neither black powder nor paper-patching. But what can be done with BP can (usually) be done with an equivalent smokeless propellant. I know that paper-patching is not the same as a discarding sabot, but both do many of the same things, except that paper-patched bullets usually travel down rifled barrels, while DS slugs usually do not.
    The BRI style (or similar) slug is what I'd like to investigate. I know that BRI probably doesn't exist anymore, and the rights to the slug were sold to someone who redesigned it and offered (offers) it commercially. Various manufacturers offer them, but right now, such rounds are unicorns. At $5/round commercially, when and as available, my interest is also in economy.

So my question is: Can DS shotgun slugs be safely and effectively reloaded by the private reloader, and are necessary components available? I suspect that any custom mould maker could machine one for the projectile. For the life of me, I do not know where to find nor how to fabricate the cotton DS wads. Could a shot cup or the "fingers" therefrom be used in place? I've also contemplated "dunking" the slugs in PC coat then sizing to appropriate diameter.

Any information, experiences, thoughts, or opinions are welcome.
    Winchester bought BRI. They are still around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    I've reloaded Slugs-R-Us 12 gauge sabots/slugs for several years and taken several deer with them, all the way out to 100 yards or so. They are easy to mold and are very accurate.

Boolit Man
    Another vote for the Slugs-R-Us hammerheads. I have the molds for 12 and 20 and have had excellent results with both to the point that I don't even consider anything else because you cant beat perfect. As far as I am concerned, and I live in slug country, these just cannot be beat. I have experimented with all different kinds of slugs in all different kinds of barrels and as long as you have a rifled barrel I believe you will be real happy shooting these. Best of luck.