Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Triggers

Boolit Master

AR Triggers

I just built a 6mm ARC upper and want to use an existing lower I have. It has the typical "service trigger" in it and the pull is about 7 to 7.5 lbs. Not really conducive to precision shooting. Has anyone had good results in just changing the trigger springs in an AR versus a drop in or two stage trigger assy?

Just buy a replacement fire control group that gives you a match weight trigger, usually about 3.5-4 pounds, you will be miles ahead of the game. I been working on ARs since 64.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy

Rapier is right, there are several drop in triggers that do a great job. My favorite for the money is a CMC drop in 3.5lb unit with straight trigger

Boolit Grand Master

Changing springs is not worth the time, effort or cost, a drop in trigger is so much cleaner and smoother. My favorite is the Rise 140 which is on the economy side of the spectrum at around $140.00. Bite the bullet and get one, you will not regret it. BTW - I have no affiliation to the manufacturer of this trigger.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

I have seen significant improvement by changing the springs for the JP reduced power set. It doesn’t compare to a real trigger, but it is much lighter. Any creep from that bargain basement lower parts kit still remains.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

I have both 2 stage and single stage triggers. They have different applications to my mind. 2 stage triggers are for rifles you wish to pretend may have a social use. For targets, a good single stage is king.

The Larue above is a pretty good deal for a nice 2 stage.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Grand Master

I have been able to get fairly decent trigger pulls on stock triggers with replacement springs and stoning/polishing the sear. That being said most aftermarket triggers are far superior to most tuned stock triggers.

Single stage verse two stage depends on usage and personal preferences. The speed games the single stage are the most common. For NRA Highpower two stage triggers are the most common.

I used two stage triggers for everything including my long-range match bolt rifles. Those have 6 oz first stage and 6 oz second stage triggers.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-15-2022 at 08:08 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

La Rue and never think about it again , I have used them in five rifles and are amongst the best made . And the best trinkets in business.

Boolit Grand Master

I mostly work on NRA Service and Match AR's. For Service rifle a #4.5 trigger is required. That is one of the reasons two stage are so popular. When you preload the first stage to about 3 pounds the break only requires 1 1/2 pounds. For my Match AR's I run about 2 pounds on the first stage and a pound on the second.

I have Krieger Milazzo, Knight SR-25 and Geissele Hi-Speed National Match Triggers. I highly recommend the Geissele Hi-Speed National Match Triggers. https://geissele.com/triggers.html

I have zero experience with the modular drop in triggers so I will not comment.

The lightest AR trigger I am aware of is the Timmey AR Calvin Elite Single Stage Drop In https://timneytriggers.com/ar-calvin...stage-drop-in/ A friend has one. He likes it so far but he only has about 500 rounds through it. I have not seen it yet. When I do and I like it I will order one.

Some Comparisions here.

https://www.peakfirearms.com/ar-15-triggers/

https://www.barrettrifles.com/ar-15-triggers/

For cost effectiveness it's hard to beat the LaRue Tactical MBT-2S Trigger.

One of my Krieger Milazzo has about 30K on it and one of my Geissele Hi-Speed National Match Triggers is pushing 20K. Both have had zero issues.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-16-2022 at 01:11 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I like the nickel boron coated two stage triggers. Have been reliable and give a good practical let off. They did double in my 9mm Ar's with the heavier bolts though.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master

A Geissele SSA with JP reduced power springs has been flawless in my RRA LAR-9.

FWIW, Geissele does not recommend their triggers for 9mm ARs.

Timney and CMC for mine, work great.
    Buddy shot mine and we immediately went to the shop and bought one (CMC) for his ruger AR. I installed it that afternoon so he could use it for pig hunting that nite.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a midwest, the cheap timey and a cmc flat. I haven't gotten the cmc broken in yet, but the midwest is my favorite so far. All 3.5 claimed lbs pull, single stage. Both the midwest and timney were around 140. 180 for the cmc, but I bought it a few weeks ago, the other more than a few years.

Boolit Master

Geissele is my first choice. La Rue is a very close second and a lot cheaper.

Boolit Buddy
    La Rue…buy 3 for $79 each…

Boolit Master

Worked on one AR trigger, got a decent pull and the owner was satisfied. Know I did a little honing, don't remember what else I did to it. That was in 1978.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

I have not attempted to change out AR trigger springs to reduce trigger pull nor is my AR assembly/building as extensive of some members here. For me, it's personal preference to what one likes. I really like the drop-in Aimsurplus SSTAT single stage blade ar trigger with the .154 KNS anti-rotation pins.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - "Thomas Jefferson"

Boolit Master

Thanks for all the responses. I ordered one of the LaRue's. If that does not get me where I want to be I had already looked at the speed national match. The LaRue won't be wasted though as it can go into a different lower dedicated to .300 Blackout.

Another guy here that bought the LaRue 2 stage. I'm very happy with it. I started with the light spring installed and had a couple misfires due to light strikes. So, I switched to the heavy spring and never looked back. Been reliable ever since.
    Deplorable infidel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast