RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: 1903 Springfield - C Stock with 17 barrel

Boolit Master

1903 Springfield - C Stock with 17 barrel

Good day gentlemen. I picked this up earlier today and been trying to do some research on it but figured I would reach out for assistance. Has an original 1917 barrel (bore is in vg condition) and serial number puts it as a 1918 Springfield build. Has a C stock on it with an REI EB on the stock, we should make it a Rock Island Armory rebuild. Rear sight base does not have the lightning cuts which was only done by Remington I believe. Has a 1918 marked sling. Additionally the Parkerizing is black and very good condition which concerns me. CMP parts build, other? I am at a hotel and without my Poyer book and curiosity kills...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozwkq25z8c...%20AM.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rof2ofgwb5...%20AM.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fd8t6pcslh...%20AM.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/sudee1vsfj...%20AM.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1rn5wvxko...%20AM.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kl2jbq23cu...%20AM.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/10fq90a38e...%20AM.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/flj589rv3b...%20AM.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7fslzqxe5p...%20AM.jpg?dl=0

Thanks everyone,
    Kev
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 05-14-2022 at 02:30 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Moderator Emeritus

Regardless of its history ("if rifles could talk...") you have purchased a really gorgeous firearm! If I read the price tag correctly -- $1,300.00 USD -- you paid more than a fair price for it. I recently ('bout a year back) saw a listing of a Garand which surely looked to be a CMP Correct H&R. By happerstance, the former owner's daughter -- he had passed and she consigned his arms to shop -- walked in, and I couldn't wait to ask her what she might know about this M1. To the best of her knowledge her dad bought his from the CMP (many, many years ago) and went "crazy" finding both a bayonet and sling to complement it. AND, to the best of her knowledge, it stood in a living room closet and was never ever shot (by him). Looking at it closely (after I bought it) I can not disagree with her assessment.
    Perhaps, too, your new treasure may have a similar story" I have a 1905 made (s/n 109,9xx) Springfield which was sporterized. Poor condition but great price .
    One possible important note is any Springfield 1903 with a serial number lower than 850,000 (and/or Rock Island below 285,000) are deemed by many as UNSAFE TO SHOOT.
    During heat treatment, the "eyes" of the treater was the gauge used, and -- hey just on a sunny, bright day versus a dismal cloudy one -- heat treatment was purportedly subject to quite the variation. Several blow-ups were attributed to this.
    I, personally, only have shot my own cast bullets at low velocity with no (knock wood) problems. However, a range buddy has blown up two similar -- albeit newer, "safe" 1903 -- with his mistakes in loading...
    Again, congrats!!!
    geo

P.S.: According to OldGuns.net site, a Springfield 1903 with a S11,189 was made in 1903. They indicated:
    The year of manufacture for serial number 11189 is 1903.

All rifles recalled and rechambered for .30 caliber in 1906.

Improved heat treatment started at 800,000.

Introduction of nickel steel started at 1275767.

Model 1903A1 rifles were made after 1929 with a full pistol grip type C stock, but were otherwise the same as earlier Model 1903 Rifles and marked Model 1903.

About 25,000 National Match rifles were scattered throughout production from about 1920 to 1940, and many can be documented by serial number to their original purchaser by payment of a fee to Springfield Research Service, Silver Spring MD.
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 05-15-2022 at 08:52 AM.

Boolit Master

As usual George has a great writeup on your rifle. Blow that picture up a little and you will see the serial number is 811189. The 8 was evidently buffed almost out on the edges(a common occurrence) during re-building. That serial number place your rifle being manufactured in the first part of 1918. The start of 1918 production was with serial number 761,758 and the 1919 serial number start was 1,055,092. The 1917 on the barrel is probably correct as the receiver as barrels were not necessarily made in the same year as the receiver. Depending on who you listen to, your rifle can be "safe" or Unsafe". The ordnance board of officer listed the "unsafe" rifle serial numbers as below 800,00; making your rifle in the "safe" range as far as they were concerned. The argument over the exact serial number range and or "safe" or "unsafe" has been going on for almost a hundred years as will continue. Your rifle has undergone an arsenal refit at some time (C stock was not used in 1918 service rifles). The original finish would have also been blue and not parkerized. james

Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, James (TNsailorman) for correcting my vision-goof. Those 74-year old peepers plus an el cheapo monitor may be my (lame -- sorry) excuses for seeing the number 8 as the letter S. Again, my sincere apologies to Kevinakaq for my not reading the s/n correctly, and to James for his setting things straight.
    As a btw, James is also 100% correct re the shoot or do not shoot debate vis a rifle made/serial numbered as yours is. I do not shoot any commercial '06 ammo in mine, ever -- but, as s
    tated, will regularly put a box (20 rounds) or two of my cast bullets down range -- mild loads -- with it. (This is the total extent of my behavioral 'gambling' -- I've been lucky )
    geo

Boolit Master

Thanks for the feedback team, I do have a sporterized 1903 as well and a correct 1903A4. I will handload for this one and not overly concerned or bothered by the serial number. Am pretty certain it will only ever see cast loads but that is not out of concern but rather habit.

The 1903 was a hole in my collection. I bought this one for less than the $1300 on the tag but was having second thoughts...would really have preferred a straight stock, blued with period wear, and a correct rear sight base but such is life. I do enjoy shooters that show their history. Hardest part of entire transaction is leaving it hidden under the rear seat of the Ram as I am at a hotel. Will be back to Davenport on Wed and can take it into the shop for better pictures and cleaning then. This one is a nice looking rifle there is no doubt but I hemmed and hawed before purchasing it because I already had another in my hand that was a 75 percent condition Woodmaster 81 in 35 Rem from same vendor and got the 'bundle price'. That one was on my short list...but that is for another thread.

Again, thanks for the comments/knowledge.
    Kev
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 05-15-2022 at 03:25 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Grand Master

The addition of the replacement C stock in lieu of the straight stock to the M1902A1 configuration could be done at unit level. Hard to say when/where yours was done at. Beautiful rifle BTW.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Nice looking rifle. Wish I’d have kept my CMP Greek return M1903.

Boolit Master
    Nice rifle, they kept it with a lot of milled parts by the looks of it. The stock is WW2 era, has the cut for the handguard ring for the A3 at the front of the receiver. So it's been done from that point or later.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    Nice rifle, they kept it with a lot of milled parts by the looks of it. The stock is WW2 era, has the cut for the handguard ring for the A3 at the front of the receiver. So it's been done from that point or later.
    Most likely during the Rock Island Armory Rebuild between 47 and 58. From the CMP forums "The EB is Elmer Bjerke. Elmer became Foreman of Small Arms Inspection at the beginning of 1947 and held that position until 1958. So far as I know, any stock bearing the EB stamp could have been through rebuilding at any time during that 11 year period."

Thanks as well to Larry and Jkrem for weighing in...definitely feeling better about the purchase.