Thread: I purchased a CH 333 press on ebay

Boolit Buddy

Smile I purchased a CH 333 press on ebay

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	press.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	300192

I also purchased some vintage CH dies for .38 Special. One of the dies appears to be used with the CH powder measure, am I right?

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	300193

Name:	s-l1601.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	300194

I see "semi-wad cutter" stamped on the die box, is this die set really only going to work with SWC bullets? I was going to buy a SWC bullet mold from Lee anyway.

OK the Sizing/Decapping die goes into the center station on the press. The Expander Die has a hole thru it so you can drop powder thru it using a Funnel on top or a Powder Measure or C&H Powder Measure. It goes in the left station, and there is also a priming attachment that goes with that station. The third die is the Bullet Seater/Crimping die. If it is marked SWC the ram is recessed to take the nose of an SWC boolit and will make a mark on a round nosed boolit. You can get a different ram from C&H.

IF you look at their 444 press you can see how the machine is set up, they are identical except the 333 doesn't have the front center station.. I Have had a 444 for many years and have set up up a variety of ways to load different types of cartridges. They are very versatile tools. The only thing they don't do well is Full Length Size Large Rifle cases. The machine just doesn't have enough Mechanical Advantage to do that very well.

For Pistol Rounds and Smaller Rifle rounds they are excellent tools. I always Resized my big rifle cases .30-06,.308- .303 Brit .44-70 etc. on a different machine and then assembled the rounds on the C&H. The C&H will do it, it just takes a lot of effort to F/L size big cases If you neck size only it is good to go.. I used the Left station to charge the case, then seated the boolit in the Center station then crimped it in place on the Right station. Done. Makes excellent ammo!!!!

Here's a pic of the .444 with all the attachments in place. You probably stole that Press! https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/444-X

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 444-X.png  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

www.ch4d.com is still in business and you can get any press or die parts you want .
    The SWC nose punch usually is supposed to seat SWC boolits but can seat cast wadcutter boolits .
    Get replacements - other nose profiles fron CH4D and dont forget you can custom fit one to a boolit nose with epoxy putty . I filled my RN with epoxy and made a flat seater ... flat will seat any boolit with a flat spot on it and I've even used it on RN boolits in a pinch .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

6gun, pm sent. BE

Boolit Buddy

It seems rather odd that the resizing/decapping die goes on the center station rather than the first. That is something that must be done first, the comes a new primer and powder charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixgun Symphony View Post
    It seems rather odd that the resizing/decapping die goes on the center station rather than the first.
    In the center station, the pressure on the case/sizing die stays even/vertical
    and it won't bind up, or try to tilt and go off to one side.

The other functions in the process don't put enough pressure or stress on the press to bind it
    enough to matter.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    In the center station, the pressure on the case/sizing die stays even/vertical
    and it won't bind up, or try to tilt and go off to one side.

The other functions in the process don't put enough pressure or stress on the press to bind it
    enough to matter.
    Yes this is the reason why you Size/Deprime in the center station. On your press that is directly in between the two guide rods. It isn't that big a deal to move the cartridges around to the different stations. Hence the strength of the design.

The other point is that the Primer Feeder installed it goes in the left station, and won't really work in any of the other stations.

There are only a few ways to do a Semi Progressive machine. You can have a turret the rotates the tools to the round, everyone makes one of these. Or you can have a movable platen that moves the cartridge case to the tools,(PW Metal Matic2) or the simplest way is to move the cartridge case to the tools by having individual stations set up like having several single stage presses lined up on a bench. This tool is the compact version of that concept.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com