Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Florida soldier based in Anchorage killed by brown bear sow in Anchorage.

Boolit Buddy

Florida soldier based in Anchorage killed by brown bear sow in Anchorage.

Here's an updated story from the Anchorage Daily News. Until recently the story had been so brief that it lacked the basic information people here might like to see. About 40 percent of the Alaska population lives in Anchorage.

Military
    Soldier killed by bear on JBER was parachute infantryman mauled near brown bear den
    By Zachariah Hughes

Published: 1 day ago

Staff Sgt. Seth Michael Plant. The Army says Plant died of injuries sustained in a bear attack on Tuesday while working in a military training area in Anchorage. (Photo courtesy U.S. Army Alaska)
    The soldier killed Tuesday by a bear in a remote corner of Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson was a 30-year-old who had deployed to Afghanistan and had been stationed in Alaska for under a year.

Staff Sgt. Seth Michael Plant served with the 3rd Battalion, 509th Parachute Infantry Regiment, according to U.S. Army Alaska.

Plant died Tuesday as he and two others were preparing for upcoming trainings in a remote area of the base west of the Anchorage Regional Landfill. He was part of a small group in the area, authorities said, when he and another soldier came in proximity to the bear’s den.

Plant was declared dead at the base hospital. The other soldier, who was not identified, suffered minor injuries, according to Army officials.

Investigators with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game believe a brown bear sow with cubs was involved in the attack.

The bear had not been located as of Thursday afternoon, wildlife officials say.

“This appears to be a defensive attack by a female bear protecting her cubs,” Fish and Game Southcentral supervisor Cyndi Wardlow said in a statement Thursday. Fish and Game was one of several state and federal agencies that arrived on-scene Tuesday to investigate.

“Female bears are especially fierce defenders of their young and may respond aggressively if they perceive a threat to their cubs,” the agency said. “At this time, the location of the bear involved in Tuesday’s attack is unknown.”

The den, with two cubs born this winter, wasn’t far from the spot where first responders removed the soldier, the agency said. As Fish and Game investigators worked, a brown bear approached the site. Responding personnel used bear spray and the animal took off. Game cameras picked up the image of a bear returning to the den overnight and leaving with both cubs.

A bear involved in a fatal attack may be killed by Fish and Game, the agency said Thursday.

It’s not clear what kind of of bear protection, if any, the soldiers had on hand.

With the exception of live-fire exercises, on-base trainings are rarely conducted with live ammunition in service weapons. At the time of the attack, Plant’s group was preparing the area for land-based navigation exercises, essentially orienteering training with a map and compass — considered an essential skillset for troops.

According to U.S. Army Alaska, Plant was originally from Saint Augustine, Florida, and enlisted in 2015, serving at bases in Georgia and North Carolina before being stationed at JBER in July 2021. Prior to enlisting he had a stint in the Army Reserve. The airborne infantryman earned numerous distinctions from the service, including for work during a combat deployment in Afghanistan.

“He always had a smile on his face, he always went above and beyond what was asked of him, and he served as an inspiration to all who had the privilege to know him. His loss is deeply felt within our organization and we offer our sincere condolences to friends and family,” Lt. Col. David J. Nelson, commander of the 3rd Battalion, 509th Parachute Infantry Regiment, said in a statement.

An investigation into the bear attack, which happened in a rugged area of the sprawling Anchorage base used for training, is being conducted by officials from the military as well as state wildlife personnel from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

Boolit Buddy
    Prayers sent.

I knew a guy that worked for the phone company that serviced the remote villages. They never did work outside the village without an overwatch armed with a 12 gauge loaded with 3 in magnum slugs.

New gal running the army decided to train troops in Alaska (probably good idea) but over watch is needed. Article stated it was a planning mission and NO thought as to clearing or investigation of area for large animals. Basic boss error. Hope we never get in a real war, bosses don't seem to have any idea how.
    Whatever!

But those who have been on the site for a while should know about bears, right? Right? Uh, guess not.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Bears can be deadly. In Alaska, you need to always be prepared to defend yourself.

My Dad was stationed up there in the early 50s.
    They were constantly warned about the bears.
    If they wanted to go out and explore the wilderness,
    they were not not to go alone, and to draw a rifle from the armory.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I wonder, in this day and age, if they would be allowed to have a rifle from the armory for that purpose?
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    I wonder, in this day and age, if they would be allowed to have a rifle from the armory for that purpose?

Good question.
    My guess is-- probably not.

I never asked Pop specifically,
    but my guess is they'd let them draw a Springfield 03A3 and just a hand full of ammo.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 05-16-2022 at 06:42 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    But those who have been on the site for a while should know about bears, right? Right? Uh, guess not.
    Your point is well made. As a native and fellow Floridian, local Black Bear modus operandi is to withdraw prior to human contact. I doubt this was a case of a pitfall in native Floridian awareness.

Everyone knows to beware of bears - especially in Alaska. Pointing out the lack of "overwatch", "clearing large animals", no live ammo, etc., are devastating. As is so often the case, this did not have to happen.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 05-15-2022 at 06:08 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    M4 vs grizzly?
    It will die, tomorrow.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by DanishM1Garand View Post
    M4 vs grizzly?
    It will die, tomorrow.
    still better than what he had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Buddy
    I was stationed in Alaska for 4 years. I was far more concerned with getting killed by a moose than a bear. Chances of a moose killing you was much higher. I never had a bear encounter on base but my wife did.

My wife is as tough as hell. Took on 4 bears at the same time and sent them running for their life! After duty hours (she was active duty as well) she worked part time at the chow hall. One night she took trash to the dumpster and as she was tossing it into the dumpster a mama black bear and 3 cubs jumped out, knocked her to the ground and basically trampled her as they made their getaway. We might have had 4 bear skin rugs today if she could have gotten her hands on them.

Sad news about the soldier. Hate to hear it.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005