MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New response to spam calls

Boolit Master

New response to spam calls

Lately, when answering spam calls, I respond by inquiring about a different subject. If the caller is pushing home security, I tell them I was looking for a provider who could save me money on my auto insurance, and vice versa.
    Works well. Last response was; "All right, Goodbye."
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    If I don't recognize the phone number, I don't answer the phone. That's what voicemail is for.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

I go hard of hearing on them and give them answers to questions they didn't ask .
    Then keep saying I'm hard of hearing ...can you speak louder ... after a while they get tired of hollering into the phone ... My wife fusses at me for being mean to them ... but it's fun!
    We are getting fewer calls lately ... I wonder if it's working !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    “ what can I do for ya”? ................silence because the bots are programmed for “hello?” Keep repeating what can I do for ya enough, and they hang up cause it didn’t hear a response it was programmed for. And, a live one??? Ohhhh, it’s ONNNNN!!! Never answer anything affirmative, like ok, yes, that’s right, or anything giving permission. Just the way I do it. Or... the standard standby answer, “ Fraud unit, this is officer Johnson,” ................click.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    What bugs me is legitimate calls from doctors and such, who immediately ask if they can talk to me. Properly, they should say what business they represent, and then their name, before asking mine.

One friend answers spam calls, and informs them in an India accent, that they must speak quickly, as he has to poop very very bad!

One of my favorite calls was from a septic business. I let them go through their whole pitch, then informed them I have a two holer, and if I would need to pay separately?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Mostly all the spam calls these days are robo-calls so it takes effort to get a human to mess with. I’ve gone to cellphone only. My iphone has a custom ringtone I call “Ignore” which is actually a recording of silence. If you’re not in my contact list you’re on ignore.
    I go thru every day and look at all the blissfully missed calls and put all the suspected phone pirates numbers into my blocked folder.
    It works for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the days of hard wired phones, I would ask a few questions and then indicate I was interested. Then I'd say wait while I get my credit card, put the phone down and hang it up when I got the off the hook warble. It was amazing how long some of them would hold.

Unfortunately it doesn’t work for the cell phones I use now. The “ignore” ring tone mentioned above is brilliant!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    If a car warranty scammer calls I ask them to cover my 1930 ford.

I have learned to swear in Hindi for all the social security scammers as well.

Boolit Master

I just hang up--Real Fast
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    All your tricks and such do nothing. They will call back. Your enjoyment makes it worthwhile to waste your time.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Grand Master

Not so, the sales folks work on commission. Wasting their time costs them the opportunity to make a sale somewhere else.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Buddy
    had one call and say you have won xxx dollars. My response is thats great I so broke I cant open a checking account

My phone from Costco blocks this crap! Plus I can add blockers on calls it misses which are very few..

Banned
    for spam calls, i use a button that says call block.

Boolit Master
    My cell phone is required for my business,, so blocking calls etc from "unknown" numbers (meaning my contacts list) is something I can't do.
    And since the scammers,, telemarketers etc all like to call a lot,, I just let calls go to a Voicemail,, and a real customer will leave a message,, usually.

But I have to share the funniest response to such telemarketer calls I ever heard. First off,, my buddy had just moved into his new home, and had the new home phone listed in his dog's first name,, with his real last name. (Fido Smith for example.) Cell phones were failry new,, so he used that mostly. And he only gave out his home number to friends & family.
    Well,, when he'd get a call where the telemarketer would ask to speak to Fido Smith,, he'd respond with one of a few good comments like;
    "Hang on,, I'll see if I can get him, he's taking a s88t in the neighbors yard right now."
    Or; "Hang on,, he's busy humping the neighbors dog right now."
    Or; "Let me see if I can get him to stop licking his b**ls right now & talk to you."

If the caller stayed on the line,, he'd lay the phone down,, and begin a background of noise that mimicked whatever he'd mentioned in some fashion,, or go to talking to "Fido" as if he was a person.

He & I still laugh over the fun he had with all that.

But nowadays,, with the robo calls,, the computer generated calls, etc,, you don't get many live people calling. Took away our fun.

When I answer the phone and I say hello, then there is no reply in the next 2 seconds or so I hang up.
    Same when I hear a stupid tone I know it’s a spam call and hang up.

Jedman

Moderator Emeritus

Never answer Yes or say affirmative to a spam call. They have cut that and pasted it where you appear to be agreeing to buy a product. When asked how I am I usually respond that I am not to drunk to fish. If asked if I can hear them OK I tell them like a mosquito farting in a barrel.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Wasting their time costs them the opportunity to make a sale somewhere else.
    I have repeatedly told several different marketing callers that I did not want their calls, they eventually call back, this over more than 2 years. Maybe it's the type of products, or maybe I'm magnetic. But don't tell me that the same companies do not call back because they do. The robo calling or whatever they use doesn't seem to identify those of us that won't cooperate. They do waste their time.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Grand Master

I really liked the old land lines slow and sometimes noisy but when called by a salesman the connection didnt break until you hung up. You could sit the phone down and not only tie their phone up but run their bill up as well.

The political recording for candidates are even more annoying, brain dead no chance for debate or questions. No way to get a opinion or point across. Just their message We arnt smart enough to debate with them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by daengmei View Post
    I have repeatedly told several different marketing callers that I did not want their calls, they eventually call back, this over more than 2 years. Maybe it's the type of products, or maybe I'm magnetic. But don't tell me that the same companies do not call back because they do. The robo calling or whatever they use doesn't seem to identify those of us that won't cooperate. They do waste their time.
    I’m not saying they don’t call back. I’m saying I enjoy wasting their time and taking money out of their pockets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast