Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe to wash deprimed brass in dishwasher by themself (no other dishes, pots….)

Boolit Buddy

Is it safe to wash deprimed brass in dishwasher by themself (no other dishes, pots….)

Title says it.

Forty Rod

No. If bag opens, dish washer may eat brass. They grind up small food particals. Maybe brass too?

Boolit Master
    If I have a bunch of dirty range brass I dump in gas and slosh around in a large coffee can then use a screen when I pour them out. Then I put them in my vibrator and mix room scent to get rid of smell and add a little liquid car polish. That makes then easier to resize.

I think you'd be wasting your time & effort.
    The dishwasher probably won't do much to clean or rinse out the inside of the cases.
    If they're in a bag, just dunking them in a sink of water several times will do the same as the dishwasher.

I wash brass in the sink with soap & water.
    Open the drain & rinse them. That gets the dirt & surface oils off.
    Lay them out on a towel to dry.

Size & de-prime rifle brass. Trim if needed. Tumble, then rinse in gasoline again to get sizing oils off.
    Pistol brass goes from soap & water wash, to tumbler, then to reloading process.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

There are many posts on the forum about the use of citric acid as a brass wash. That is all I do, and it saves me the grief of my wife finding brass in the dishwasher, that she had not authorized.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master

A mesh laundry bag and your washing machine along with all your shop towels would be a better choice.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Why are you wanting to wash brass? Black powder loads? I pulled some very old .25-06 out of my shop that had been in there for 10s of years and some polish, media and 3-4 hours in my orange ball and they look like new.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I use boiling water and citric acid as a cleaner in a big tub. Works great. Not mirror shiny but good enough.

Brass in your dish washer is just looking for an appliance repairman to call!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master

are you single or married, that answer makes a world of difference to your question.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Don’t do that, and especially don’t do it with dish detergent.

Boolit Master

I have tried that and found it to be not so helpful. The brass came out very clean, but also tarnished almost black. I had a wood loading block drilled out so all case mouths faced down. No black powder residue, but very heavy tarnish. I am not sure if it was the heat or cleaning agents. Wow, you got some wild answer, LOL

I would think a bag full in the clothes washer might work fine.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't-- some primers contain lead styphenate (may have spelled that wrong), and if you are shooting cast your cases will have traces of lead. You don't want lead anywhere near anything related to food production or dishes. Even washed alone, the brass can still contaminate the dishwasher.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

No it is not safe it will line your dishwasher with lead residue from the fired primes and then wash the dishes you eat off? DON"T DO IT

Besides your wife or mother will KILL you.

Boolit Grand Master

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ what Hick & Geezer stated.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy

Thank y’all kindly, reason says to not try it. This time I’ll go with reason. Oh, I’m hitched and have been happily so for last 56 years…

Quote Originally Posted by Forty Rod Ray View Post
    Oh, I’m hitched and have been happily so for last 56 years…
    Even more reason to be careful what gun stuff you bring inside.

I used to wash large batches of brass for the first cycle in the kitchen sink, then dry them in the oven.
    After the second .45ACP snuck into a batch and cooked off-----
    ALL future reloading activities were forever banned from the kitchen.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Ice cream pail + 50 to 200 rounds of empty brass + fruit fresh from the dollar store. Vary with amount of brass to clean. Teaspoon for 50, tablespoon for 250. + a few drops of dawn dishwashing soap. Boiling water enough to cover the brass.

Swirl, walk by 5 min later swirl again, come back after half hour and give it 3-4 more good swirls. Use large collander to strain. Rinse well with hot water. Dump back into the bucket, fill with hot water from the tap. Swirl well, drain. I dump mine into a towel and take it into the living room.

Run a small brush into each primer pocket, then roll the cartridge on a cotton towel laying on my leg.

Any splits, seperations will grab the towel making them easy to remove.

Once I've processed them all I pour them into a clean towel set in a warm dry spot for half an hour to dry.

I use a FA hand depriming unit. Will often start with a mixed bag of 2-3 types of pistol and maybe 25-30 rifle rounds. They get sorted in the process.

After they are dry they are ready for resizing die, primers, powder through die or flaring, M-die. Get a charge and get loaded.

No they don't look new, but I don't have to be ashamed of them either. Requires minimal tools, supply's, time.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Ice cream pail + 50 to 200 rounds of empty brass + fruit fresh from the dollar store. Vary with amount of brass to clean. Teaspoon for 50, tablespoon for 250. + a few drops of dawn dishwashing soap. Boiling water enough to cover the brass.

Swirl, walk by 5 min later swirl again, come back after half hour and give it 3-4 more good swirls. Use large collander to strain. Rinse well with hot water. Dump back into the bucket, fill with hot water from the tap. Swirl well, drain. I dump mine into a towel and take it into the living room.

Run a small brush into each primer pocket, then roll the cartridge on a cotton towel laying on my leg.

Any splits, seperations will grab the towel making them easy to remove.

Once I've processed them all I pour them into a clean towel set in a warm dry spot for half an hour to dry.

I use a FA hand depriming unit. Will often start with a mixed bag of 2-3 types of pistol and maybe 25-30 rifle rounds. They get sorted in the process.

After they are dry they are ready for resizing die, primers, powder through die or flaring, M-die. Get a charge and get loaded.

No they don't look new, but I don't have to be ashamed of them either. Requires minimal tools, supply's, time.
    There is something very relaxing about just reading how you do this. THIS is how reloading is supposed to be done, not trying to find ways to do it bigger and faster.

Get a brass cleaner, tumbler or vibratory style.

You folks that use gasoline, to clean brass, write me down in your will. Sooner or later you will find out what happens when gasoline detonates and you are at arms length from it. I have seen the results, it ain’t pretty.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Get a brass cleaner, tumbler or vibratory style.

You folks that use gasoline, to clean brass, write me down in your will. Sooner or later you will find out what happens when gasoline detonates and you are at arms length from it. I have seen the results, it ain’t pretty.
    That seems pretty far fetched. How do you support this claim?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast