MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: will jacketed bullets around .429 or .430 be accurate in a .432 or .433bore

Boolit Bub

will jacketed bullets around .429 or .430 be accurate in a .432 or .433bore

Sorry not really a cast question but comparing it to cast principles.... I know cast bullets should be .001 or .002 over for good accuracy. But do jacketed bullets get accuracy with smaller diameters? I assume they must as most 44 mag rifles are bigger bores than .429... so is it the higher velocity and pressure obturating them?

Question relates to running lower power 44 mag loads(more like '44 special +P+') with .430 jacketed bullets in a .432 bore rifle. Should work for accuracy or will it be same problem as a cast bullet undersized 2 thou.
    Last edited by stef76; 05-13-2022 at 08:57 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stef76 View Post
    Sorry not really a cast question but comparing it to cast principles.... I know cast bullets should be .001 or .002 over for good accuracy. But do jacketed bullets get accuracy with smaller diameters? I assume they must as most 44 mag rifles are bigger bores than .429... so is it the higher velocity and pressure obturating them?

Question relates to running lower power 44 mag loads(more like '44 special +P+') with .430 jacketed bullets in a .432 bore rifle. Should work for accuracy or will it be same problem as a cast bullet undersized 2 thou.
    proly work ok - an undersize j boolit dont suffer from gascutting at the base like cast does.
    how many you gonna shoot ? how much does a good mold cut right size cost? will/would oversized cast loads chamber ok?

Boolit Master
    I have never understood why manufacturers use an oversize bore on .44 Mag rifles. It just makes zero sense to me.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stef76 View Post

In my Marlin 44 mag I never found accuracy until I used .432 cast bullets. Jacketed bullets at .429 worked great, they're not prone to gas cutting as are undersize cast bullets. Eiter find a .432-.433" mould or beagle your mould up to the desired size. Or, my least favorite choice, lap the driving bands out to .433" on the mould you have.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

The lands will cut into the jacketed bullet, even if barrels groove diameter is larger then .430"

Note that different manufactures use different jacketed diameters. .429 .4295 & .430"

Vendor Sponsor

It's only .429" until you fire the round. You may be firing a .429" J bullet into a .432" barrel but in reality it will obturate until it is confined by the throat, then the rifling. J bullets are pretty soft inside, as the lead core is swaged into the gilding metal jacket which is relatively thin, so they obturate easily.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I have never understood why manufacturers use an oversize bore on .44 Mag rifles. It just makes zero sense to me.
    The reason is the SAAMI standard for rifle barrels in .44 Remington Magnum is .431".

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...sting-Copy.pdf

It's on page 143 of the manual, but page 155 of the pdf.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

That's why I gave up on .44 leverguns. Love the idea of them but the saami spec is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    The reason why is that Saami Spec for .44 Magnum Rifles is .431+/- .002. Pistols use .429+/-.002 . This is to control pressure. On a Revolver the cylinder gap provides a place to bleed off excess pressure. Also the barrle is short so the 35,000psi generated by a factory .44 Magnum round can be easily dealt with and also provide some extra safety margin.

In a rifle there is no place for that pressure to bleed off. The Breech is solid and everything must go out the muzzle, and the barrels are much longer. Hence the need to Control Pressure so as not to over stress the action. This started with M1873 Winchesters that didn't have very strong actions, and continues on to newer stronger actions like 1892's etc. Marlin 1894's are supposed to be proofed to .46,000 psi.

The other thing left over from M1873's was the 1:38 Twist barrels designed to shoot short fat boolits. Ruger is finally putting that to rest and all the Marlin .44's will have 1:20 twist barrels which means they will stabilize boolits better at lower pressures. My older 1894CB 24 has the 1:38 barrel on it and the only way I can get good accuracy is to run the boolits faster. my barrel is .431 and i use .432-3 sized boolits in it. Tis provides usable accuracy in that gun.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    im just curious where this original question is coming from. do you have a gun that you slugged the barrel and those are the dimensions you measured or is this like a make pretend question from something else you read somewhere.
    if you have the gun, try some different ammo or bullet and powder combinations and see how it shoots.
    if you try to put a .429 or .430 jacketed bullet down the muzzle what happens, will it go in or not or maybe drop right on through the barrel to the action?

Boolit Master
    Well chasing grossly oversized groove diameter with cast is a losing battle. You will have trouble loading and getting those rounds to chamber often if you can find sizing dies large enough. My Henry SS slugged at .432" but i shoot cast .431" in it with no troubles.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Originally designed for tight chamber 44-40's with large bores, you could request a modification, change the diameter and try it in the 44 Mag rifle. Don't just stop there, redesign for a larger shank, make it longer and make it heavier. Might even want to add a gas check and sling down range.

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet...bullet=43-200Q

When you crimp the bullet, the inside diameter of the die will cold form the diameter of that forward driving band.