Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger Single six magnum 32 H&R.

Boolit Mold
    For those with more experience than I here's a question. What are you loading in your .32 H&R for an XTP load? Loaded some of each with W231 and my 4 5/8" Single six shoots groups that look like buckshot patterns at 25 yards. With 231, Rim Rock 115gr. RNFP GC and 125gr. Keith GC SWCs both shoot extremely well. Do you find a slower powder works best with the jacketed Hornadys?

A while back i bought a Single 7 .327 mag, stainless, birds head for a boat gun. I added a lanyard ring and polished up her innards to eliminate the nowdays customary ruger gravel feel! Then made a set of better fitting grips and bought a leather cross draw rig to position the gun to my liking. Then i bought a case of 32 S.W longs and shoot a full lead wadcutter in it. Very conservative velocity, very low report and minute of Halibut accurate! You dont need much when shooting over the side of the boat and it served the purpose perfectly. Off the boat, it shoots to the sights to around 50 yards before needing to elevate the front end but even then it’s quite accurate to 100 yards or so when shooting at things on the beach. It travels slow enough that over water, you can see them fly. It’s i wee step up from a 22 and for some reason a lot more fun to shoot.
    Sold the boat a couple days ago maybe i’ll now find something else it’s great at?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwell View Post
    For those with more experience than I here's a question. What are you loading in your .32 H&R for an XTP load? Loaded some of each with W231 and my 4 5/8" Single six shoots groups that look like buckshot patterns at 25 yards. With 231, Rim Rock 115gr. RNFP GC and 125gr. Keith GC SWCs both shoot extremely well. Do you find a slower powder works best with the jacketed Hornadys?
    I would say check your cylinder throats. The diameter of the xtp is smaller than the others.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had the best results with H-110/296 in the 327. In fact, the best iron sighted group I have fired in this century was shot with a 100 grain Hornady over H-110. Brian Pearce had reported some good results with faster powders, but I was not able to duplicate that with the Hornady bullets. The 85 grain version is distinctly less accurate IME. I have had very good results with 231 and cast boolits in the 100-115 grain range in both the 32 H&R and the 327, but at substantially lower velocities--800-1000 fps versus 1400+ that I get from the 296/H-110, 327 loads. Two other powders that worked well in limited testing for me are AA #9 and Hodgdon's Longshot, but I have not shot either enough to really get too enthused

Right now, my 327 shooting is limited because I only have a couple hundred CCI 500 primers left, so I have been shooting 32 H&R at lower pressures to avoid pierced primers.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Congrats on your new Ruger!!!

I really liked the idea of the 32 H&R caliber. Loving SA pistols as I do paring the two was perfect for me!! When I ordered, the Bisley was not offered. I found a 6.5" gun used and grabbed it. I found it a bit unwieldily and had it pruned to 5.5". But the smith i stalled the front site crooked!
    He took it back and pruned it to 5". Well a bad thing became a FAVORITE!! I love odd stuff, different underdogs. It was meant to be for me! It made a dandy bunny gun. Best trail gun I have owned!! I STUPIDLY sold my S&W 651 4" this was a perfect replacement.
    The H&R was kind of a disappointment ballistically. It wasn't a big improvement over the 32 Long yet not nearly my 32/20 Colt. I spotted a Bisley 32 H&R one day and didnt buy it. Thought about it entire ride home and called the shop back to put on hold. Dont ya know it sold during that ride...
    Advance to couple years ago Lipseys contracted some beautiful birds head S7 revolvers in 327. Checking with Ruger they still had some Bisleys in the pipe line, i ordered a 5.5 Bisley & a pair of Birds heads. All in 327.

These birds heads are awesome handling revolvers!! But this Bisley is a tack driver!!! They shoot as nice and accuracy as the Single Six 32 H&R but with real power on tap!! Im tempted to sell that H&R but its custom now and I do like it so it stays.

They shoot 32 ACP very well too!! Good luck with yours!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    Saw one of the Single Six 32's at Cabelas in Denver. $999

Boolit Master

I tried the 85gr Hornady in .32H&R, was not happy with its accuracy at all.
    Bullseye, Unique, HS-6 and W231. All gave 3-4" groups at 25yrds. At 50ft it was not much better. The Hornady lead SWC at 90grs was better. The 95gr Saeco SWC was Great over 3.5grs of W231, Hornady Lead SWC was almost as good.
    I've half a box of Hornady JHP's sitting on a shelf that may never get used. Lead is the only way I'll shoot this 5 1/2" SSM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    I think the .32 H&R Magnum is the perfect pairing of size and performance with the Ruger Single Six frame.

The Single Six always seemed just a little too big for the .22 versions, but physically too small for the .38 Special.

The Bianchi holster in Larry's picture is hard to beat for field carry.

When I could still see the sights clearly, my 6½" SSM was the most accurate revolver I had ever shot. Unfortunately I can't prove it now. I do wish I had gotten into the various 32 revolvers a few decades earlier, so nice to shoot without a lot of muzzle blast and recoil.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus

I bought a Ly 31357 mold from an estate a while back. This old swc shoots well in the SSM Ruger. Mine is about 94 gr heavy.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12