RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pewter Haul

Boolit Mold

Pewter Haul

Did some checking of photos of local garages sale to see if any had other than baby clothes were on the sale.
    From a photo 2 shelve at sale were either aluminum or pewter, forgot about the sale till almost closing, they were putting things away when I got there.
    It looks like nobody was looking for pewter today, got roughly 60 lbs for about 50 cent a pound. Looks like a life time supply! Always fun to find treasures.
    lastditch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pewter1.jpg   pewter2.jpg   pewter4.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Wow! Great score!

Boolit Master
    I see some nice 20/1 alloy in your future!
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master

Nice Score! I never find any around here.

Boolit Master
    VERY well done!

The only problem I see with this haul is that my wife would claim over half of that stuff.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    That sure beats the 100’s of trips to the thrift stores.lol thought I did good yesterday on my two items for $3.68. Lol. Don’t know why I keep buying pewter. I have about 4 times what your photo shows and I keep buying it!lol I guess I need to start casting boolits again. It’s been a while. Been making fishing lures and sinkers lately instead. I think we need someone here to make a pewter ingot mold! I don’t smelt my stash down till I either trade/sell it here, or use it. Been taking up a lot of space here. Smelting it down would sure give me some room…for more.lol
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-13-2022 at 08:07 AM.

Boolit Mold
    I am going to have to sort this find out, many items are unused and still have labels. No idea if any has value beside for us casters. This was the mother in laws collection who had pasts away. Lady indicated at their first spring garage sale they had just as much, most went unsold and was taken to the thrift shop.
    Wife indicated I can quit going to garages sales now, she says the silliest things.

Boolit Master
    My problem is that I see value in the pieces beyond the content so I would end up keeping most of it whole as long as it is in good condition. That kind of stuff is rising in value quite quickly and becoming much more valuable as it is than as donor material for bullets. I like casting but when I can get more for a vase than 2 pounds of tin costs at Rotometals you know where I am headed!!

Boolit Master
    In photo 2 at the middle bottom you see a "Our Daily Bread" pan. I've never found one that's pewter always Armetal (?). When I blowed the picture up, it has handles on the short sides. I've been collecting pewter for alloying a long time. I got to see something "NEW" to me. Could you post a pic of the top and bottom of the pan so I can get a better look? Thanks

That's a nice haul at a great price. It'll look good as a puddle and flying through the air instead of collecting dust on a shelf.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    My problem is that I see value in the pieces beyond the content so I would end up keeping most of it whole as long as it is in good condition. That kind of stuff is rising in value quite quickly and becoming much more valuable as it is than as donor material for bullets. I like casting but when I can get more for a vase than 2 pounds of tin costs at Rotometals you know where I am headed!!
    That kind of stuff is a puddle.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    In photo 2 at the middle bottom you see a "Our Daily Bread" pan. I've never found one that's pewter always Armetal (?). When I blowed the picture up, it has handles on the short sides. I've been collecting pewter for alloying a long time. I got to see something "NEW" to me. Could you post a pic of the top and bottom of the pan so I can get a better look? Thanks

That's a nice haul at a great price. It'll look good as a puddle and flying through the air instead of collecting dust on a shelf.
    One of those daily bread plates I got in a bulk purchase holds my damp sponge for cooling molds. They’re the right size, nice and shallow… almost purpose made.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Buddy
    That’s a good start

Boolit Mold

daily bread pan photos

Jsizemore, here are a couple photos of pan.
    Not a true daily bread tray, kind of plain. Not sure on this piece as logo is very worn, can only make out letters WTE that would form a circle if complete.
    As far value of the pieces as compared to tin content for casting, I did a quick search of sold auctions. Best I can say it would not be worth the time involved to sell pieces for what bring. I might put some pieces on a table at a gun show I will either get the bullet caster or his wife.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pewterDBT2.jpg   pewterDBT1.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lastditch View Post
    Jsizemore, here are a couple photos of pan.
    Not a true daily bread tray, kind of plain. Not sure on this piece as logo is very worn, can only make out letters WTE that would form a circle if complete.
    As far value of the pieces as compared to tin content for casting, I did a quick search of sold auctions. Best I can say it would not be worth the time involved to sell pieces for what bring. I might put some pieces on a table at a gun show I will either get the bullet caster or his wife.
    I appreciate you taking the time to take the additional pics. Still haven't seen a pewter "OUR DAILY BREAD". I bet you have a biscuit or roll serving dish with lid. You ain't got to melt them but ingots sure take up a lot less space. A couple hundred pounds in 1-3 oz ingots fit in a kitty litter bucket just fine.

Boolit Grand Master

A Tidy Cat bucket full of tin does make a man feel good…

Boolit Mold
    Maybe I am just being paranoid, but 2 mentions of kitty litter buckets kind of suspicious. Just put most of the pewter in kitty litter bucket this afternoon, going to have to point the ring camera at the utility shed tonight LOL.
    In the past I used a mini muffin pan, makes nice 5 oz. biscuits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pewterKL1.jpg  
    Last edited by lastditch; 05-13-2022 at 09:13 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

LOL! Sleep soundly my friend! Jsizemore and I have no need to add your little pile on top of ours.

Boolit Master
    With the kitty litter pail full in the house and the 55gal drum in the shed, I'm strapped for space as it is.

Boolit Master

I have gone on e-bay many times when I found an old/interesting looking piece, and most times I can find the exact piece for very cheap. I would hate to melt down something valuable so I have stopped looking. Ignorance can be bliss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast