Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: MEC 600 jr

MEC 600 jr

I have just acquired a Mec 600 jr, pre 85. It was to good a deal to pass up ( $20.00 bucks at an estate sale )
    Anybody have any advice on cleaning this press up ? It looks like it was coated in spray oil and left in the garage for a long time, however appears to be free of rust, just very stickey.
    Also any advise on loading buckshot and slugs on this press ? can it be done ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by snipecg21 View Post
    Also any advise on loading buckshot and slugs on this press ? can it be done ?
    It can be done, but some parts have to be replaced to load steel shot. Slugs can't be done in-press, but all the pre-work can be done. That's why MEC makes a Slugster and a SteelMaster. Best to e-mail MEC and give them all the info and what you want to do, and they'll get back to you with a list of parts. The manuals can be found online too at MEC.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

I Loaded Lee 12 ga Key drive slugs on my Mec 600 jr. Its an old one.

Uses the standard crimp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220513_012241.jpg  
    Last edited by 243winxb; 05-13-2022 at 01:24 AM.

If you've got a smart phone, take a bunch of photos before disassembling anything.

Hang it up by a wire, bottles off, charge bar out and if it has a plastic crimp starter and finishing dies, remove them. Wash it down well with Brakekleen. Drip Dry.

Print the manual from MEC's website.

Deprime, reprime, powder charge, wad seating, crimp starting, final sizing and fold crimping can all be done on the press. When it comes time for the buckshot, pull the hull off the press, pour them in. Back on the press for the remainder of the steps.

Roll crimp on slugs is something I've never done, hopefully someone who's actually done it will chime in. I've just reloaded birdshot on my MEC presses--about 5000 a year.

Pickup a couple of the older Lyman shotgun manuals and read what they have to say about shotgun reloading. Seems to me one of them talked about loading slugs.

If the charge bar is the older dedicated single load value, as in pre-powder bushing charge bars it's time to look for the newer 302 style bars. NOT 502, those are for the progressive presses.

Good luck, they are great presses for the money. I've owned 2 dozen plus over the years, was making beer money there for a while, they just seemed to flow into my shop. I'd clean them up, tune them up and send them down the road.

There was only one that I didn't tune up before I sent it down the road. Should have, sold it to a guy on here. I think it took him a little while to get it back running, he had never used one before so it was full on OJT for him on how they worked. I had fully disassembled it to clean it. I just rough assembled it to make sure all the parts were there.

Ditto on brake or carburetor cleaner except for the plastic parts. Great deal !

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Don't go too aggressive on the harsh chemical cleaners or your factory paint is going to be gone. I own 4 of these presses. My first and folders was purchased in 1979, it too was a store Demo. It's was 25 bucks. I'd get the manual via download and print it. Then I'd carefully disassemble it into a plastic tub with hit water and simple green solution. Let set until it's cooled enough to get your hands into it. Used rubber gloves and assemble your brushes ahead of time.
    YOURS SHOULD HAVE THE METAL PRE-CRIMP AND FINAL CRIMP DIES. DONT THROW AWAY. ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET. It just my opinion, but I really dislike the plastic crap dies they use on the machines now.

Be sure you click on the Pre-1985 model mangal.

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/owners-manuals-sr
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy
    I've had really good luck using Simple Green concentrate. It's good for removing oily residue, but does not affect plastic or discolor old paint.

Boolit Grand Master
    You are indeed fortunate. Unlike a true progressive press, it’s easy to stop and take the shell off of your 600 Jr, perform some off press task(s) then put it back on and continue. Also, if something should go wrong (don’t ask how I know about this!) it’s easy to clear that round and resume. It’s a highly versatile press.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    My Dad and I started the shotshell reloading in our hometown around ‘72 . MEC 600 jr is the press we bought and used.( still have it). Cannot tell you how many rounds went over that old press till it was retired for a Grabber. You got one that will last. Just my opinion.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Just soak it in a bucket of Diesel for a few days and then blow it off with a Air Gun. It should clean up just fine. If someone actually covered it in spray on oil or Rust preventative then they did you a favor. Most people just let them rot uncovered in their garage or storage shed. You can mitigate any new damage by covering it up with a Plastic Trash Bag when not in use.

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    You can mitigate any new damage by covering it up with a Plastic Trash Bag when not in use.

Randy.
    I like cotton pillowcases, if it's stored in an unheated area or a basement, the pillowcase doesn't trap condensation like plastic bags. Here in Michigan, that can be an issue either in the spring when things first warm up or if you only heat the shop when you're in it. Kick the furnace on and go from 20 up to 60 degrees with a plastic bag over it and it's like being in it's own little steam room. Cotton still isn't wonderful, but not as bad as plastic.

Arizona may not be an issue.

Boolit Mold
    600 Jr's are a great press, I have had 3 the first back in the 70's. I use one for roll crimping I just use the press to load up to the crimp,
    then roll crimp by hand with a roll crimper in a hand drill , works great.

Boolit Grand Master
    To add a bit more to my comments, I first loaded 20 ga. shot shells on a MEC 600 Jr back about 1972 in the basement of a friend from church. When he passed away about 40 years later, his widow gifted it to me. I now have the first shot shell press I ever worked with on a Work Mate bench in my basement.

About the same time frame an uncle gave my dad and me a Lyman TruLine Jr press that still sits on a corner of my main reloading bench.

Beside it there is a single stage RCBS Jr that Dad bought about 1980.

I never noticed this pattern until just now.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I would use a chip brush and any good solvent, even kerosene to get the sticky stuff off. I'd go easy on carb or brake cleaner, something that stays "wetter" will loosen up the sticky stuff better. Not kill as many brain cells in the process too! A lot of blue shop paper towels will then wipe it all away.

600 Jrs are the AK 47s of the shotgun shell press world. You almost can't kill them, and they just keep working.