Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Automate Star lube/sizer?

Boolit Bub

Automate Star lube/sizer?

I’m looking at putting a pneumatic cylinder on my Star sizer. My right arm and elbow joint aren’t what they were 25 years ago. There’s video on youtube, but the gentleman hasn’t had any activity for a year. Emails to his posted address have gone unanswered.

Has anyone here done this? What stroke cylinder did you use? He’s using a cylinder with a 10” stroke, but he’s not caming over to activate the lube injector. My dowel rod inside a piece of conduit indicates I need around a 12” stroke.

Any other advise one can offer is also appreciated.

Matt

Boolit Buddy
    I did it once and forgot to lube the handle shaft. It's still frozen up, just haven't gotten around to fixing it. I bought all the components from automation direct on line. Better prices than other sites. I'll see if I can find some pics of it. I have since bought a commercial automatic sizer/luber.
    Shelly
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Bub
    A commercial sizer is probably where I’ll also end up, but the Magma Lube Master is very dear.
    Matt

I have a Magma Lube Master and the key to getting good results with it is a collator that works properly and is fast enough to keep up with the sizer. Let's just say I'm not happy with M-A Systems and their collator right now...........

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Bub
    The strength and survivability of it all gives me pause. I think the Star sizer itself will handle most everything (within reason) I throw at it and the cylinder is always working in a straight line under compression. So that doesn’t worry me. The leverage against the linkage between the cylinder and the sizer is where I see problems. I can see this slowly bending under repetitive load. I have an idea to brace it all, the connection between the yolk and the 3/8” rod, and the 90° angle of the 3/8” rod at the sizer.

McMaster order has been placed. Once I have it machined and welded I’ll post pictures for comments and review.
    Matt

Boolit Bub

Getting close

Get a cylinder and mount it all to the bench and I think I'll be ready.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2294 (1024x549).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	300387

Name:	IMG_2295 (1024x555).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	300388

Name:	IMG_2296 (1024x561).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	300389

Name:	IMG_2297 (1024x414).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	300390
    Matt

Boolit Grand Master
    The handle on my Star is bent from repeated use so there is a lot of force used to size some bullets.

If I were to "automate" mine, I would either use something like the "slip clutch" I have on the PW Autodrive, or a shear pin. I would want something to fail before I damage the sizer itself.

Might work to limit air pressure to say 50 lbs of force. On a 1" piston that would work out to about 60 psi. I would start at 40 psi and see if it is enough to cycle and dial up from there. Then set the regulator to 10 psi over the pressure it will size reliably.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I have a Magma Lube Master and the key to getting good results with it is a collator that works properly and is fast enough to keep up with the sizer. Let's just say I'm not happy with M-A Systems and their collator right now...........

Hope this helps.

Fred
    I have 1 M-A that I got to run with 9mm given up on the others going to get the mr bullet feeder pro with the nose down conv mike

Have you tried a roller handle?
    I think you might try that before heading into automation.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Have you tried a roller handle?
    I think you might try that before heading into automation.
    All of my Star Sizers have roller handles, which makes a huge difference. I highly recommend them to anyone doing a lot of sizing on a Star.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.