WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: .357 - 130gr cast bullet load

Boolit Buddy

.357 - 130gr cast bullet load

My Lyman manual has number of cast load data using Blue Dot. Yet, online there is a warning NOT to use Blue Dot for .357-125gr loads because the cone will crack. Does this warning pertain to 125gr jacketed bullets and not cast bullets and also not cast bullets with a gas check? I plan to cast 38-125gr HP bullets from MP Molds and expect 3% Antinomy or pure lead with 2% tin. As a result, I expect the alloy to be heavier than 125gr. Atleast this is my experience. My question is, can I use Blue Dot?

Boolit Grand Master

No, the warning does not pertain to Lyman data, or forcing cones. Alliant put that warning out over 10 years ago for the simple fact they found a number of their 125gr loads were over SAMMI 35,000 psi chamber pressure, and rather than fixing it, they just put out the warning. All other manufacturer data is fine.

Boolit Master

BD can get quite ornery and for little apparent reason. I love the stuff but have experienced the bad side. (No damage just pressure signs)
    If I dont push it, Its been good. I still use it for my 158/160+ loads.

Just be careful start low and work up slow as it ccan come on fast. Back off once ya are there and ya should be fine.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    The Lyman manual has 2400 listed at a lower chamber pressure. Can I safely say AA9 is the same? Since I have AA5 and AA9. Which of the two would you recommend over Blue Dot?

Boolit Grand Master

Neither. Bluedot is better than both.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bluedot is too spiky at the top end, IME. I do not use it in handguns anymore for that reason. It excels at heavy loads in the 12 Gauge, so that is where I would use it. I would much prefer AA#9 with your 130 grain 357 load. I have had good results with an NOE boolit that runs about that weight and the Speer starting load for the 135 GDHP SB.

However, if you must in these days of shortages and limited availability use Blue dot I would stay away from the top end unless you are going to weigh each charge, not because of the possibility of forcing cone damage but because of the apparently large pressure spikes from just a few 10ths difference in charge weight.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.