MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: I Need a Better Rear Sight for my Trapdoor Hybrid!

Boolit Man

I Need a Better Rear Sight for my Trapdoor Hybrid!

Years ago I bought a H&R carbine trapdoor barreled action for a cut original stock and lock that I had. The barreled action is silver plated with "engraved" scrolls but there is no rear sight nor any threaded holes in the barrel for one. I made a crude peep sight by making a new tang screw/rear sight combo thing that works just okay at 50 yards but I can't hit much at 100 and I think I need to have some windage adjustment (as well as easier elevation adjustment). I wanted to keep the sight attached to the tang but have warmed to the idea of attaching to the wood. What is out there that would work well for this gun as well as look right? I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow.

Boolit Master

In his "Modern Gunsmithing," Clyde Baker describes and shows a photo of a sporterized Trapdoor with a graceful Whelen pistol grip stock. The rear sight, mounted on the tang, was a Lyman aperture sight designed for the Savage 99. Looked like it grew there. I have a poorly cut down trapdoor and, after a long search, turned up a windgauge Lyman in the box. I have dry fitted the sight base to the trapdoor tang to confirm that it does fit.

I know that this is like recommending hen's teeth as being perfect, but you might get lucky if you keep searching.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the reply!
    I think I have that book and will look that up. I'm not familiar with the windgauge sight - I'll have to look that up too. And I just did. One of those would work! At first I was picturing a receiver sight with the vertical and horizontal slides which would look out of place.
    Last edited by Gazz; 05-12-2022 at 12:11 AM.

Boolit Man
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0007.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	300176
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0003.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	300177

Boolit Buddy
    Here is a picture of one I did for a customer. The steel bar fits under the tang and is held down by the tang screw. It is held by a wood screw at the rear. The vernier sight is for a Sharps as the grip angle is very near the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trapdoor tang sight.jpg