MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loading gate mod?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Thundermaker:

FWIW, I've successfully resolved your issue on dozens of leverguns over the past 50-odd years with a slight honing of the inside of the forward inside end of the loading port and the forward edge of the loading gate with a round India stone to knock off any sharp edges/burrs; then did the same with a flat India stone to the inside beveled surface of the loading gate.

The loading gate has nothing to do with cartridge feed timing, and the stoning only removes virtually microscopic bits of metal.

The work is best accomplished via removing the loading gate from the action, which does require some disassembly.

If anyone's not up to the disassembly required, they may better off handing the job over to a real gunsmith (not some AR parts-changer)

That doesn't actually solve my issue, because there's nothing catching the cartridge and preventing it from going in.

If I could take a mm off the end of the gate, that might work.
    Last edited by Thundermaker; 05-13-2022 at 11:59 AM.

Boolit Buddy

On my Rossi 92, all I do is hit the left side of the receiver with the palm of my hand, Pops the rim off of the front edge of loading gate. GW

Boolit Buddy
    Thunder:, PM sent.

Boolit Buddy
    Responded.

There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread about the issue I'm describing. Would it help if I detailed it in a video?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
    And you're not reading either. Don't monkey with it. Don't grind notches in your receiver. Don't monkey with the loading gate. That's how you end up with a jam-o-matic.

Lever action enthusiast forums are slam full of folks whining about how their guns don't run worth a lick, jams and all sorts of trouble, and when you finally get the truth out of them... "Well, I tried to slick it up."

The '94 action has been in production for over a hundred years, including a bunch of improvements and changes. Every shooter has run into the issue of poking the rim in through the gate. It's been with us forever. If it was an easy and reliable fix, it would already have been done.
    I read just fine. None of what you said addressed anything I was talking about. You read the thread title and maybe the first paragraph and off you went.

BTW, it's a '92, not a '94. I've never actually had this issue with '94s. The loading windows on those are rounded at the end.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Thundermaker:

FWIW, I've successfully resolved your issue on dozens of leverguns over the past 50-odd years with a slight honing of the inside of the forward inside end of the loading port and the forward edge of the loading gate with a round India stone to knock off any sharp edges/burrs; then did the same with a flat India stone to the inside beveled surface of the loading gate.

The loading gate has nothing to do with cartridge feed timing, and the stoning only removes virtually microscopic bits of metal.

The work is best accomplished via removing the loading gate from the action, which does require some disassembly.

If anyone's not up to the disassembly required, they may better off handing the job over to a real gunsmith (not some AR parts-changer)

FWIW ........I never saw this as an issue - if ya fumble partway through the loading process with a 66 or 73 - push a round too far and the gate goes shut - guaranteed you will loose more time recovering momentum from that than it takes to push that last round home in a 92 - its just a split second with yr pointer finger ........and if ya fumble partway through with the 92 that last round is right there, keeping the gate open ready to go with the next one .....practice practice practice !

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    FWIW ........I never saw this as an issue - if ya fumble partway through the loading process with a 66 or 73 - push a round too far and the gate goes shut - guaranteed you will loose more time recovering momentum from that than it takes to push that last round home in a 92 - its just a split second with yr pointer finger ........and if ya fumble partway through with the 92 that last round is right there, keeping the gate open ready to go with the next one .....practice practice practice !
    True, but I was thinking more along the lines of loading a single round to pick up that last target on a stage that takes 12 rounds instead of 11.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12