Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: 8x72r in a drilling

Boolit Man

8x72r in a drilling

Was gifted a WW2 bring back drilling, it has lived its post war time in several closets. In very usable shape, locks up solid and bores are shiny. 16 gauge, 2.5 chambers ( imp. cyl. right barrel and imp. mod. in the left). 8x72r rifle barrel, slugged at .323. Barrels are 21.75 inches long and are stamped Nitro.Barrels also have pop up iron sites, and provision for scope mounts.Wood is dark, with a nice grain showing on the butt stock, has a 4 rnd ctg trap. Well used but nice looking overall. I am going to return it to life,and introduce it to my game woods. Any advise on loading - was recommended to me to use 32/40 ballard/winchester loads as a starting point, want to load a 180-200gr cast flatpoint at sub 2000fps. Have a partial box of factory lead bullet loads that fit the gun, I will save them to stay with the gun, they are 2,55gr full wadcutters ( box marked RWS sinoxid). Any info will be useful. Thanks Danny - will try to get up pictures this weekend.
    Last edited by Earl54; 05-11-2022 at 04:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    The RWS ammo is non-corrosive primed (sinoxid), likely with Berdan primers.. Not sure how you plan to make brass as both the 8X72R and its parent cartridge, the 9.3X72R are long obsolete. Barnes Cartridges of the World lists a few loads for it.

Boolit Man
    Buffalo arms sells both 8x72r and 9.3x72r brass made by norma. Will be reforming 9.3x72r for cases, just received a set of dies. Good thing that for me it is a single shot, I figure 200 cases will outlast me. Also have 400 2.5 inch brass cases for the shotgun barrels that i will be loading with a lee loader and a arbor press. Another good thing is I love to return old guns back to the place they were made for, the hunting woods. Am getting the parts to build a barrel for an NEF frame ( 308 handi gun) to use to work up loads for the 8x72r. Will save stressing the drilling barrel, and I will hunt with it also.

Boolit Buddy

Hi!
    Post here for more information- there are folks there that have loaded and hunted with this cartridge
    http://www.germanguns.com
    Click on Forum
    Jim

Boolit Man
    Thanks Jim, will read it through