MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: is the 6.8 sig fury reloadable?

Boolit Master

is the 6.8 sig fury reloadable?

well ever I guess since there have military arms it has lead the trend for sporting arms. but is this new 80K psi round even reloadable.
    and increased pressure and velocity equals increased barrel wear. what is life expectancy of the sig built m5 rifle barrel?

Boolit Grand Master

Below from another site and I don't know how accurate it is. That being said I did speak to a Sig Rep that did state barrel life would be more than double of conventional barrels on the CROSS Rifles with the 277 Fury chambering. That was about 6 months ago.

" Military set a spec for barrel life of twice the “useful life” of a current M4 barrel. (Which basically means how many rounds sent downrange before the weapon will not shot 4MOA or less.) For an M4, this is ~6,000 rounds. 6.8x51 military barrels use a nitriding process instead of the M4s chrome lining (and some other changes) and have gone ~14,000 rounds before accuracy falls out of required spec. What that means for aftermarket civilian barrels in terms of useful accuracy life is anyone’s guess. That said, SIG has stated that all barrels it produces for this round, including for the Cross rifle, are built to the military standard."

From what I have read that 14K includes FA fire? Some claims are with slow fire that doubles to 28,000 rounds???? Time will tell.

I don't know what the real numbers are but I do know barrel life was a design and contract requirement. Same for the suppressors. The claims are the 4.5 billion dollar contract is firm but it has yearly renewals that can switch to other venders than Sig if they don't make good on the requirements.

Sig is claiming the case will be reloadable but time will tell.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    According to Sig, the only portion of the case that is steel is the head with the remainder being brass. I would think that it would be little different than reloading traditional brass cases. I do wonder about case head separation, however.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Here is the burning question in my mind, what little is left. At 80K will the spec for the cleanliness of the chamber be an issue for extraction? I expect that the cartridge has to be quite clean as a tinywiny bit of carbon or dirt would be a problem. Any way thanks for the post.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if the cases will be extra reload able? I mean, if they're built for 80 kpsi, what if you loaded them at 65kpsi and just used a longer barrel to make up some of the performance? Would the cases be endurance champs?
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master

The next question is what is the cost of the brass?
    I remember a while back a company making two part cartridge cases to allow higher pressures in existing cartridges but I don’t think they were a success in the marketplace.
    Last edited by deltaenterprizes; 05-12-2022 at 05:55 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    The next question is what is the cost of the brass?
    The entire setup looks pretty pricey to me.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    The entire setup looks pretty pricey to me.
    The claim is in volume it will be cheaper. Not sure I believe that but time will tell.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer