Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hogs and the NOE 311-121-RN

Boolit Master
    I’ve cast and shot thousands of the Lee .311” 160gr Pt.GC bullet! 6cav, 2-cav and older 1-cav molds.
    Never considered to use it to hunt with.

My .300BO upper feeds the Lee .309” 150gr FNGC perfectly! At 1,750fps, for .300BO purposes, it’s perfect!
    I typically used COWW, +2% 95/5 lead free solder. From a .30/30 @2,200 FPS, @158gr, they equal or exceed factory ammo.
    I’m now powder coating...

Boolit Master
    121 gr. at 2200 is slightly inferior to the .30 AK round, which isn't world-reknown for it's "game dropping" properties (except perhaps in barrages?). I'm guessing the far more surgical accuracy with which your projectiles hit has much to do with the round's efficacy. It is commendable performance for any rifle/shooter combination.
    I've been accused of being overly conservative about such matters, but I would have wanted 25 - 50% more bullet mass at that velocity for use on wild boar, just to fend off Murphy and his laws (and my sometimes "minute of gallon milk jug" marksmanship).
    A friend and "shade tree gunsmith of my acquaintance once took an already-mutilated Argentine Mauser, rebarrelled it with a .358" barrel ("I don't KNOW why, don't ask!" were HIS words), and christened it a "9.1x53mm Sedgewicke". On cartridge work-up, we found it to deliver ballistics slightly ahead of the .348 Winchester and crowding the .358 Win., with hard-cast 200 gr. and heavier bullets. It was a "Hawg Thumper" (again, HIS words) out to 200 yards (the greatest distance at which he attempted a shot).
    I never hunted with the beast, but it was far more pleasant to shoot than expected, given its military buttstock, and the bullet masses/velocities it disposed. I used to kid him that it should be re-christened the "Sedgewicke COE Mortar", though the trajectory was not QUITE that bad.
    Anyway, off-topic, but smile-provoking story about hog-hunting rifles.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
    I’ve cast and shot thousands of the Lee .311” 160gr Pt.GC bullet! 6cav, 2-cav and older 1-cav molds.
    Never considered to use it to hunt with.

My .300BO upper feeds the Lee .309” 150gr FNGC perfectly! At 1,750fps, for .300BO purposes, it’s perfect!
    I typically used COWW, +2% 95/5 lead free solder. From a .30/30 @2,200 FPS, @158gr, they equal or exceed factory ammo.
    I’m now powder coating...
    Powder coating makes gas checks unnecessary up to about 2250 fps in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    121 gr. at 2200 is slightly inferior to the .30 AK round, which isn't world-reknown for it's "game dropping" properties (except perhaps in barrages?). I'm guessing the far more surgical accuracy with which your projectiles hit has much to do with the round's efficacy. It is commendable performance for any rifle/shooter combination.
    I've been accused of being overly conservative about such matters, but I would have wanted 25 - 50% more bullet mass at that velocity for use on wild boar, just to fend off Murphy and his laws (and my sometimes "minute of gallon milk jug" marksmanship).
    A friend and "shade tree gunsmith of my acquaintance once took an already-mutilated Argentine Mauser, rebarrelled it with a .358" barrel ("I don't KNOW why, don't ask!" were HIS words), and christened it a "9.1x53mm Sedgewicke". On cartridge work-up, we found it to deliver ballistics slightly ahead of the .348 Winchester and crowding the .358 Win., with hard-cast 200 gr. and heavier bullets. It was a "Hawg Thumper" (again, HIS words) out to 200 yards (the greatest distance at which he attempted a shot).
    I never hunted with the beast, but it was far more pleasant to shoot than expected, given its military buttstock, and the bullet masses/velocities it disposed. I used to kid him that it should be re-christened the "Sedgewicke COE Mortar", though the trajectory was not QUITE that bad.
    Anyway, off-topic, but smile-provoking story about hog-hunting rifles.
    Ordered this one...

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...308-135-rn-g4/

Longer and heavier, but could be a tad undersized at .308 diameter which is fine. I'll be PCing this bullet so the lube groove is unnecessary. I'll remove it and gain some weight and diameter in the process. Probably end up at around 137 to 140 grains and I should be able to get 2200 fps from this one as well. I'm thinking a heavier bullet made of a tougher alloy along with the pointy nose shape should get better penetration.

Hero shot...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hogs and coyote.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	300446

Boolit Master
    Looks like 2-Freezer Fillers, & a little BBQ.

Boolit Master
    Hogs aren’t hard to kill but placement is key with low power rounds. I’ve whacked over 150 with .22CB shorts, one shot each save for one that required two. My current hog killer is .30 caliber, 180 gr subsonic and suppressed. It works just as well.
    Last edited by Digital Dan; 05-28-2022 at 02:13 PM.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Well, I got my new mold from NOE. Bullet diameter out of the mold with my alloy was .310, with powder coating adding to that which is nice. It tried shooting some of them, but nothing hit the paper at 50 yards! Bearing surface with this bullet is lacking, which isn't surprising since it was originally designed for 30 caliber airgun! As expected I'll have to modify the mold to get the performance I want. Should be totally worth it as these are great looking bullets! I love the nose shape and they should feed as well or better than the roundnoses I used. My goal is 2200 fps with accuracy. We'll see!
    Last edited by ElCheapo; 06-01-2022 at 08:14 AM.

Boolit Master
    Looking forward to your next field report.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12