Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone repaint an RCBS Press? Color Matching

Boolit Grand Master
    Could it be that everyone in business is afraid of what will be the target of punitive regulations next... or could they just be afraid they will be taxed into oblivion if they actually make money?

HMMMMMM...
    "It aint easy being green!"

Let your creative side go wild. Paint it red, white & blue - seems appropriate & catchy - don't ya think!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

I have used the hammer finish on the aluminum add ons that I’ve done to my Lyman T2 turret presses. Looks good. But at 23 posts and no pictures I’m disappointed.

Maybe reach out to RCBS and see if they might share what color green they use and where to purchase.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - "Thomas Jefferson"

Boolit Master
    Here's a pic of the press involved:

Attachment 300174

I've definitely seen worse looking pieces of cast iron, but I have too much time on my hands. My creative side? Maybe I can find some purple rattle can paint...

I would think that the problem with asking RCBS about the specifics of what paint they use is that it has varied in shade over the years. Not that this press will ever look like I just unboxed it, but I'd like to get it close to original. Otherwise, I'd just go to Wallie World or Lowe's and buy whatever color looked good.

And I dunno how the pic got flipped around. It's upright on my computer.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Here's a pic of the press involved:

Attachment 300174

I've definitely seen worse looking pieces of cast iron, but I have too much time on my hands. My creative side? Maybe I can find some purple rattle can paint...

I would think that the problem with asking RCBS about the specifics of what paint they use is that it has varied in shade over the years. Not that this press will ever look like I just unboxed it, but I'd like to get it close to original. Otherwise, I'd just go to Wallie World or Lowe's and buy whatever color looked good.

And I dunno how the pic got flipped around. It's upright on my computer.
    Don't limit yourself to silly diluted rattle cans!!!!!!!!!!!! I have noticed while strolling down paint isles of all stores the spray paints are almost non-existent. Stick with an auto paint blending store. They have plenty of good quality bulk paints that can be laser matched perfectly to your press.

Spend a little money and forget those stupid rattle cans! This is your hobby, right?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Is there anything in the USA that's "In Stock" ....
    How did every supplier become out of stock of every product they sell ...
    It's like no one has anything to sell anymore ... not even a can of spray paint !
    The shelves around here are loaded with paint, just no dark green hammer tone.

I was in a hardware store today and they had multiple cans of Rust-Oleum Hammertone in a multitude of colors.

Just not the dark green.

It is now a quest! Find Dark Green Hammertone!

From Rust-oleum:

Thank you for making contact with Product Support!

Unfortunately, we are out of stock of Deep Green Hammered. This product has not been discontinued, however we just do not have insight on when the next production will be. We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we experience some of the most challenging days we've had in the history of Rust-Oleum. We value your business and are working hard to provide the
    quality products you expect and deserve.

If you have further questions/concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Thanks for sticking with us!

Marissa G

May be awhile.............

Heck, I went for the RCBS Classic Yallar Series. I bead blasted all the old paint and rust off and used equipment enamel paint/primer in one. Baked in the oven for a very durable finish that doesn't chip easily, and could probably be touched up if it did.

If I do another it will be red, and Imma gonna powder coat it. jd

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5065 copy.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	300186
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Mold
    You may have to give it a whiff of starting fluid when you use the press now.
    NRA Benefactor member

NIcholist: I have used Rustoleum Hammertone Green paint on several RCBS Presses, and whereas they aren't an exact match for the stock color they look just plain Bitchin' !!! Don't remove the original paint. If it is Crinkle paint, the Hammertone looks even better over the top!

Here's an RCBS A2 press I did for my Son. In the Sun it will knock your eyes out!

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1450565.jpg  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Looking good there hoodat and randy.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    Let your creative side go wild. Paint it red, white & blue - seems appropriate & catchy - don't ya think!
    LIKE !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    NIcholist: I have used Rustoleum Hammertone Green paint on several RCBS Presses, and whereas they aren't an exact match for the stock color they look just plain Bitchin' !!! Don't remove the original paint. If it is Crinkle paint, the Hammertone looks even better over the top!

Here's an RCBS A2 press I did for my Son. In the Sun it will knock your eyes out!

Randy
    LIKE LIKE LIKE !!!
    "Bitchin X 10 " = Awesome !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

Randy
    Looks way better than my well worn seafoam green from I think 1974.

I'll have to go pull the bushing to remind me how old it actually is.

Boolit Master

^^^ Huh? Is there a date on the Rock Chucker bushing? ^^^

I had thought the bicycle or cue ball handle on the ram lever was the "tell".
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’m getting ready to start using my old RCBS 22 lb pot I acquired recently. I’ll use it as-is for now, but can I/should I repaint the “top deck” where almost all of the original paint is gone? If yes, is high temp paint necessary? Will even that last long enough to make it worth the effort?
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    ^^^ Huh? Is there a date on the Rock Chucker bushing? ^^^

I had thought the bicycle or cue ball handle on the ram lever was the "tell".
    Stamped on the ground surface under the bushing. Usually a two digit number.

And the ground surface is not always ground, my 1969 A3 appears to be ground and left bare metal.

Name:	a3 date.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	300249

The 1974 Rockchucker looks machined under the paint.

Name:	rockchucker date.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	300250

The 1977 JR3 is machined and left bare metal.

And the paint on the Rockchucker is as ugly as it gets.
    Last edited by 15meter; 05-16-2022 at 10:48 PM.

Boolit Master

Nicholist, yours has the same paint as mine; sort of a seafoam green wrinkle paint. I’ve thought about repainting it and my Pro-Melt but would prefer to stay with the original green wrinkle finish.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    The shelves around here are loaded with paint, just no dark green hammer tone.

I was in a hardware store today and they had multiple cans of Rust-Oleum Hammertone in a multitude of colors.

Just not the dark green.

It is now a quest! Find Dark Green Hammertone!
    Not much of a quest. Checked when I was in two different hardware stores and the Lowe's that's closest to my house. No luck.

Stopped this morning at the hardware store that is 1-1/2 miles from my house for something else and checked their shelf while I was there. 4 cans.

And to look at the color and texture on the can cap, this is a pretty darn close match to current color. Good enough for the kinda girls I go with......

And it is stunningly better than the 1974 vintage seafoam green the the press came adorned with.

Name:	20220517_122502_resized.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	300264

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast