Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone repaint an RCBS Press? Color Matching

Boolit Master
    every time I see a quality refinish done with baked on powder coat I get to thinking this might be a way to try a refinish job. and with places like summit racing that carry different brands and colors make matching colors all that much easier.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I don't worry too much...

This is my RCBS A2 in Rustoleum from ACE Hardware!

Not period correct but very good paint!

Bare metal is cold blued and waxed!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    heck, i went for the rcbs classic yallar series. I bead blasted all the old paint and rust off and used equipment enamel paint/primer in one. Baked in the oven for a very durable finish that doesn't chip easily, and could probably be touched up if it did.

If i do another it will be red, and imma gonna powder coat it. Jd

Attachment 300186
    this!!!
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    NIcholist: I have used Rustoleum Hammertone Green paint on several RCBS Presses, and whereas they aren't an exact match for the stock color they look just plain Bitchin' !!! Don't remove the original paint. If it is Crinkle paint, the Hammertone looks even better over the top!

Here's an RCBS A2 press I did for my Son. In the Sun it will knock your eyes out!

Randy
    Now. THAT looks SHARP!
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Boolit Buddy
    Paint it lee red

Presenting my all spiffed up 1974 Rockchucker, gone is what was left of the ugly seafoam, red aniline dye drips from a different project and 48 years of ground in grease and grime.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220520_121200_resized.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	300375

It'll do me.

And there's enough left to paint my mailbox that's needed a fresh coat for a while.

What a deal.
    Last edited by 15meter; 05-20-2022 at 08:40 PM. Reason: lousy grammer and bad proofreading

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Take the press or a painted part of the press and head for the largest auto parts store(s) in your area... there are about a brazillion different automotive touch up colors that you can compare it to and hopefully find a match .

It's a shame a paint store can't mix the color you want and put it in a spray can for you ... this must not be practical or the paint stores would be doing it .
    I'm sure one of the many shades of green migh be a close match ... or just go a nice metallic/metal flake green in a shade you like ... then some flames ... or some pin stripes ...
    Ignore that , just the old hot rod motorhead coming out in me ...
    Gary
    I would be surprised if some paint stores did not offer to match and put it in a spray can for you, I have had it done on this side of the pond. Regards Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    I would be surprised if some paint stores did not offer to match and put it in a spray can for you, I have had it done on this side of the pond. Regards Stephen
    What I used was a textured paint. I know standard flat/satin/gloss can be custom mixed and put in a spray can.

Wasn't aware that the textured was available as custom.

Anybody know if it is?

Boolit Master

15meter, that looks really sharp. Maybe I’m an outsider but I like the original seafoam green wrinkle just as well as the newer hammertone green. If I refinish mine I’ll leave the original wrinkle paint intact regardless of what goes over it.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Mold
    I’m with you David, I like the old seafoam green better! Wouldn’t seem right any other color. Been looking at it on my trusty Jr. since 1972.

Maybe I'm prejudiced against seafoam green.

Brother-in-law's favorite color.

Bernie Sanders is a loonie right-winger to him.

At the boat club where he used to keep his boat he was referred to as the Club Communist.

Boolit Master

Ugh! References like that would turn anyone off. My sympathies to you! I’ve sailed most of my life; would love to sail an iceboat. I had a Hobie 18 at one point. Fast for a sailboat but nothing like yours on ice.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

My 69 Rock Chucker looks like it is 53 years old. Original green crinkle as handed down from Mount Oroville.

I respect your right to repaint.

I will fight anyone that dares to try to repaint mine.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Ugh! References like that would turn anyone off. My sympathies to you! I’ve sailed most of my life; would love to sail an iceboat. I had a Hobie 18 at one point. Fast for a sailboat but nothing like yours on ice.
    I've been sailing iceboats since 1975, hope I've got at least 19 more years of sailing, I want to beat the oldest active sailor in the club, he turned 85 this year. He and his wife were out sailing this past winter.

The following video was several years ago, it's the biggest boat still sailing on Lake Erie, 32' long, 40' spar. The day of the video we maxed out @ 56 MPH clocked with GPS. Mediocre ice and not enough wind. We could have used another 3-4 knots and we would have been screaming. Me on the right with the GoPro on the helmet. Most fun you can have with you clothes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzX1oM1QtfY

We had good enough ice this past winter that a buddy made it sailing 40 days. I got a dozen plus, wish I lived closer, I would have had more. It's a 30 mile drive.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123