Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone repaint an RCBS Press? Color Matching

Boolit Master

Anyone repaint an RCBS Press? Color Matching

My 1981 model Rock Chucker is showing its age and the hard life that it has lived. I just disassembled, cleaned up, and repainted a Lyman T-Mag yesterday, and I think the RC needs the same treatment. While it isn't absolutely critical to match the paint, I would like to come close, at least. Does anyone have a suggestion on what rattle-can paint to use?
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

Take the press or a painted part of the press and head for the largest auto parts store(s) in your area... there are about a brazillion different automotive touch up colors that you can compare it to and hopefully find a match .

It's a shame a paint store can't mix the color you want and put it in a spray can for you ... this must not be practical or the paint stores would be doing it .
    I'm sure one of the many shades of green migh be a close match ... or just go a nice metallic/metal flake green in a shade you like ... then some flames ... or some pin stripes ...
    Ignore that , just the old hot rod motorhead coming out in me ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Try the paint and hardware stores and examine their color sample cards. Some of the bigger stores let you take some of the cards with you for comparison at home. Or, maybe less practical, take the press's frame with you.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

It's a shame a paint store can't mix the color you want and put it in a spray can for you ... this must not be practical or the paint stores would be doing it .
    Gary
    We have a paint store locally that will do just that. It’s great for precisely matching auto paint codes. A friend of mine is a rally driver and has to do a decent amount of painting different parts to match due to the abuse his car takes.

Boolit Buddy
    Rustoleum makes a hammer tone green in a can. I have used it on
    RCBS bullet sizer presses.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    I'm almost certain that is the color and texture RCBS uses.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Try the paint and hardware stores and examine their color sample cards. Some of the bigger stores let you take some of the cards with you for comparison at home. Or, maybe less practical, take the press's frame with you.

DG
    The paint stores are great at matching colors , they matched perfectly some age / sun faded colors on my house's exterior siding and trim ... but the paint came in a gallon .
    I wouldn't want to buy a gallon for a press frame ... heck one gallon painted all the trim I needed matched on my house and I got plenty left !
    It's not RCBS green or I would send it to nicholst55 ... it's a pale sun faded split pea soup green ...
    Okay for the wood shutters on my house ...but too yucky for a RCBS Press .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post

This !
    I think I read about this being a good match .

Yes this is the one Hammered Spray Metal Finish , the color is Deep Green in that line of Hammered Spray Metal Finish .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 05-11-2022 at 02:05 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    Almost all of the paint is gone from the top surface of a 20# RCBS bottom pour lead pot. Would it be possible to get a high temp paint in a rattle can and repaint it to stop the rust and corrosion? Is hi temp paint available in a green that’s somewhere close to RCBS green?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    The local auto paint store is your friend! Not Lowes. Not Home Depot, Not Ace Hardware.

As said, take it with you and they will color/laser match it 100%. Won't be cheap!!!!!! I paid $37 for a quart of custom-blend special "tool green" but you cannot see where the old paint ends and the new paint starts. Their color matching for commercial lacquers and acrylics far surpasses the garbage big box stores mix up with latex wall paint!

banger

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

This !
    I think I read about this being a good match .

Yes this is the one Hammered Spray Metal Finish , the color is Deep Green in that line of Hammered Spray Metal Finish .
    Gary
    I saw this used on another thread from years back. It looks darker than what they used back in the 80s, but it may have to do. I can't afford to buy $40 worth of paint for a single use.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Bub
    If you’re still in the Houston area. The Oreilly’s at 10420 Hempstead Hwy offers custom paint mixing. They should be able to match and mix into a rattle can. It’s been a while since I’ve had this done. But I don’t recall it costing $40 for a can.

Boolit Bub
    Right now, Hammer tone Green is all but unavailable in central Nebraska. Hopefully you can find some.

This looks like as close as we can get:https://www.rustoleum.com/en/product...hammered-spray

Deep Green 7211830 - 12 oz. Spray

Amazon must have sold it at one time, they have a review but don't list it anymore. Home Depot will order it in by the 6 can case. WallyWorld was $23 but out of stock.

Now to find it in a local hardware store. I've got a Rockchucker that is pretty ugly, it certainly could use a fresh coat of paint.

Boolit Grand Master

The Hammered Spray Metal Finish - deep green color may be a little darker but it is a good looking green color with the "hammered" finish ...
    ... who's going to know ... I'll Never Tell !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsltech1 View Post
    If you’re still in the Houston area. The Oreilly’s at 10420 Hempstead Hwy offers custom paint mixing. They should be able to match and mix into a rattle can. It’s been a while since I’ve had this done. But I don’t recall it costing $40 for a can.
    That's quite a ways from where I live, in Fulshear. I'll keep it in mind, next time I'm in the area. The Rustoleum product is out of stock everywhere that I've looked, except in a 1-Qt can of brush-on.

There's another option.
    You could buy the quart can, some thinner to thin it to spray consistancy, and buy one of these:

https://www.zoro.com/preval-paint-sp...commended=true

How thin? Add thinner and mix....then tip the bottle at an angle until the mix is near the top of the bottle.....straighten it and watch the paint fall back. The painted side should be colored but not quite opaque.....but colored none the less. Too thin, color will all fall back. Too thick color will not only stay but be opaque.

That said, personally I wouldn't care that the color is perfect.....even RCBS just uses kelly green on most of their accessories not cast iron.

Another trick is to paint it green, then dry-brush silver so that the silver just tints it in places. I do that by lightly loading a medium artist flat brush....brushing most of it off onto a paper towel, then lightly brushing the green painted textured cast iron, so that it just highlights the raised areas......in fact I'm pretty sure RCBS did that on a lot of the presses, including my pro 2000 progressive.
    Last edited by GWS; 05-12-2022 at 12:21 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsltech1 View Post
    The price I mentioned was for a QUART CAN of special paint, not a lousy rattle can. I have painted many items out of that quart can and have a lot left, unlike rattle cans that are mostly vehicle and propellant and a little real paint mixed in.

I sent an email off to Rust-Oleum asking when and if they were going to run a new batch of the aerosol dark green hammer tone paint.

Just waitin' on the answer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    I sent an email off to Rust-Oleum asking when and if they were going to run a new batch of the aerosol dark green hammer tone paint.

Just waitin' on the answer
    Is there anything in the USA that's "In Stock" ....
    How did every supplier become out of stock of every product they sell ...
    It's like no one has anything to sell anymore ... not even a can of spray paint !
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast