MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: WTB: M16A1 Upper, well worn

Cool WTB: M16A1 Upper Receiver, well worn

Hello people!

My brother is looking to put together a retro rifle, and as it turns out, the market ain't the best to get one these days. We are, like Johnny Cash, putting things together "One Piece at a Time". The only thing to have escaped our hunt for parts so far is an M16A1 Upper Receiver.
    I already have a barrel, BCG, charging handle, and just about everything else I need except for this critical part.

According to my brother's preference, he wants one, most importantly, without a brass deflector, and optionally, without a forward assist. He's also specifically looking for something that was rode hard and put away wet, preferably with extensive finish wear and scratches from natural use. Think of an upper fresh off an export rifle with a hard life behind it. It still needs to be functionally intact, so keep that in mind.

At this point in my search, a set of sights or even a dust cover are optional as these parts are easier to find than the upper itself.

I'm willing to pay at the most $180 before shipping for one. Feel free to DM me if you so happen to have one handy!
    I'd prefer a photo or two of the upper so that my brother can have a look at it before deciding it's "Scuffed" enough for his desires.
    Last edited by VariableRecall; 05-11-2022 at 02:41 PM.

Boolit Master

are you wanting a complete upper(with barrel and bcg) or just the actual upper casting. last time i looked jse had some but their inventory changes quick
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    are you wanting a complete upper(with barrel and bcg) or just the actual upper casting. last time i looked jse had some but their inventory changes quick
    I am ONLY looking for the upper. I already have a BCG, Buffer Tube, and charging handle handy, even a Barrel! All I need is an upper receiver. I'll update the title of my post to reflect that.

It's going to be a challenge attaching my first barrel to an upper, but I'm going to find people to help me out with it.
    Last edited by VariableRecall; 05-11-2022 at 11:33 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Well worn can be accomplished on a new retro upper with some steel wool or fine sand paper. Brownells should have some M16 style uppers (not M16A1 style).

Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    Well worn can be accomplished on a new retro upper with some steel wool or fine sand paper. Brownells should have some M16 style uppers (not M16A1 style).
    Those suckers haven't been in stock in ages, sadly. It seems that every manufacturer is out of the new ones and those that are left are on Gunbroker for heinous prices.

Go over to the ARFCOM retro forum an read around. An M16 is the model without the FA an BD.

ARFCOM EE will have some from time to time.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/AR...tro-Forum/123/
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipmen...-Receiver/159/

Now, an SP1 Colt upper can be found cheaper than an M16 upper. Why? I have no clue. But, with the SP1 he would need a $10 offset adaptor.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by m.chalmers View Post
    Go over to the ARFCOM retro forum an read around. An M16 is the model without the FA an BD.

ARFCOM EE will have some from time to time.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/AR...tro-Forum/123/
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipmen...-Receiver/159/

Now, an SP1 Colt upper can be found cheaper than an M16 upper. Why? I have no clue. But, with the SP1 he would need a $10 offset adaptor.

Good luck!
    What do you mean by an Offset Adaptor? Thankfully I picked up one of those Brownell's 20 inch barrels with the correct front sight height for an M16A1. Are the SP1's slightly lower or higher when it comes to their rear sights?

Boolit Master

Offset pin adapter. IIRC, Pivot pin holes are/were larger in the colts than others and a pin adapter is needed to fit the two together.

https://www.jsesurplus.com/coltrecei...dapterpin.aspx

Boolit Man
    That adapter is Colt lower to standard upper. Think you would need something else for the opposite. Could probably bush the Colt upper pin holes with Delrin or something similar.

Boolit Man
    If want help with assembly I often assemble uppers for people on forums I use for free. Ship parts to me, I assemble and even pay return shipping half the time. See my website www.CoolAR15.com which is about to see big update with another couple dozen builds and video. Have built hundreds of uppers and have machine shop plus specialty jigs made myself to automate and ensure proper alignment with less issues.
    For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions. 2 Timothy 4:3

Quote Originally Posted by NikA View Post
    That adapter is Colt lower to standard upper. Think you would need something else for the opposite. Could probably bush the Colt upper pin holes with Delrin or something similar.
    https://www.jsesurplus.com/coltrecei...etbushing.aspx
    Would this be the part to get if I manage to find a genuine Colt A1 Upper? This appears to be a bushing that would fit in the larger holes in an Upper. I'd just like some clarification before I accidentally get the wrong thing. What would you suggest I use to keep the bushings in place? just friction?

Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    https://www.jsesurplus.com/coltrecei...etbushing.aspx
    Would this be the part to get if I manage to find a genuine Colt A1 Upper? This appears to be a bushing that would fit in the larger holes in an Upper. I'd just like some clarification before I accidentally get the wrong thing. What would you suggest I use to keep the bushings in place? just friction?
    Yep, that's the part if you use an SP1 on a standard lower.

Boolit Man
    I have some non brass deflector, forward assist uppers but one is part of a NFA xm177 clone and the other is a none SBR/no actual Moderator XM177 clone. Have some early Colt SP1s but look like jewelry. Will keep my eyes out. Would he Consider a good machinist scrubbing the brass deflector off? My manual machinist died and not been able to replace him (I am a CAD guy) but have a guy who could do the job.
    For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions. 2 Timothy 4:3

Quote Originally Posted by Hueyville View Post
    I have some non brass deflector, forward assist uppers but one is part of a NFA xm177 clone and the other is a none SBR/no actual Moderator XM177 clone. Have some early Colt SP1s but look like jewelry. Will keep my eyes out. Would he Consider a good machinist scrubbing the brass deflector off? My manual machinist died and not been able to replace him (I am a CAD guy) but have a guy who could do the job.
    I'd rather not damage an original upper, and if it does have a forward assist hole, that's something I'm willing to compromise with. He is quite insistent on leaving the brass deflector out. Send a photo if you would like.

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    Well...... I do have an old upper, ....but it does have the forward assist.

I would have posted a picture, but the site doesn't feel like letting me do that today.

If you are interested, email me, and I will send you a picture.
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Quote Originally Posted by klcarroll View Post
    Well...... I do have an old upper, ....but it does have the forward assist.

I would have posted a picture, but the site doesn't feel like letting me do that today.

If you are interested, email me, and I will send you a picture.
    Email Sent!

I've got a Keeper! I will take KlCarrol's offer! Big thanks to you man! You're a life saver in a time where such parts are sadly so scarce!