WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Free Powder

Boolit Master

Free Powder

I'll bet that title gets some attention. Yeah, I'm jerking your chain. I inherited a can of power that said "3 lbs Green Dot". It was about 1/3 full. I poured some into my hand, and could not see any green dots. Fertilized the lawn with it. Was a bit stressful.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green Dot.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	300077

Did that with a free bottle of "Red Dot" some years ago, relabeled bottle from an estate sale.

Boolit Master
    Why?

No sense of adventure.

Boolit Master
    Great fertilizer! (By the way-- I had a habit, when I found unusable ammo laying around at the range, of pulling the bullets and dumping the powder in my wife's garden. For some reason I got in the habit of going out the door and dumping the powder to the left of the steps on an evergreen shrub. Shrub is growing like crazy, but the one to the right of the steps is not. My wife found out what I was doing. Now have have strict instructions from her to dump powder to the right, not the left-- she wants the other shrub to grow too).
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    great fertilizer! (by the way-- i had a habit, when i found unusable ammo laying around at the range, of pulling the bullets and dumping the powder in my wife's garden. For some reason i got in the habit of going out the door and dumping the powder to the left of the steps on an evergreen shrub. Shrub is growing like crazy, but the one to the right of the steps is not. My wife found out what i was doing. Now have have strict instructions from her to dump powder to the right, not the left-- she wants the other shrub to grow too).
    lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    I'll bet that title gets some attention. Yeah, I'm jerking your chain. I inherited a can of power that said "3 lbs Green Dot". It was about 1/3 full. I poured some into my hand, and could not see any green dots. Fertilized the lawn with it. Was a bit stressful.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green Dot.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	300077
    Should have examined it under magnification, I bought a old jug of Hercules Blue Dot with better than 5 lb. in it at a garage sale for $25. Took it home and looked at several small samples. Couldn't find any blue dots. Poured out a larger sample on a plate and took it out in bright sunlight and used a 7x eye loupe. There were blue dots, just not many and not as bright as what is currently used.

Cross checked with the Lee dippers and some Blue Dot I had and compared densities. It was Blue Dot, and I'm happy to say that that 5 lbs. loaded a whole bunch of 375 H&H and 30-06 cast loads. Not much of it left.

Good thing is I've come up with a couple more partial cans of Blue Dot at similar prices. All have passed the sunlight/eye loupe/Lee scoop tests.

Yeah, I've got a jug of Green Dot, and you have to look pretty hard to see the green dots. Gotta have the right kind of light it seems like. Sun light seems best I think. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master

I did my visual check in the back yard with full sunlight. I did not use a magnifier. Now, I know better. OMG, I'm heading out to the back yard with the shop vac! (No rain here in months and a 40 thousand acre forest fire 6 miles SW)

I'm slowly using up some free powder that was given to me in the late 1970s.
    Norma Magnum and Hodgdon H870.
    Anything faster burning would have been burned up long ago....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I'm slowly using up some free powder that was given to me in the late 1970s.
    Norma Magnum and Hodgdon H870.
    Anything faster burning would have been burned up long ago....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    I've got a few pounds of the old H870, and 570 also. That's reaching back a ways. I think it may be about comparable to H1000.
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.